Toast Nick Riewoldt - The Champion

Gary Conan Ayres

All Australian
Mar 30, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
How would Saints fan feel about letting him go to a club that could have a tilt at flag. Reiwoldt thorouly deserves one.

Nutsngum

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 14, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers FC
Imagine if Riewoldt could win the Brownlow this year in the twilight of his career.
He so would deserve it.
Lenny as well.
How would Saints fan feel about letting him go to a club that could have a tilt at flag. Reiwoldt thorouly deserves one.
Well Eddie himself asked him if he wanted to come to Collingwood and he said no so I kind of doubt he would. We would feel awful of course.

mysainters

Cancelled
St Kilda Saints - Tom Ledger Sponsor 2013
May 22, 2009
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
ha ha and people wanted him to step down as Skipper. Absolute legend of club and game.

Has seriously gone another level this year.

I did

Not embarrassed of that call at all.

Still think he could be mentoring the next captain before he leaves, he will lead regardless if he has the captaincy next to his name or not.

He is also greatly improved his on feld leadership towards the kids this year, less berating, more encouraging.

Do you honestly think he'd be playing any different if he wasn't captain?

I do strongly believe whoever is the next captain would be benefiting from being at least co-captains with him.

saintersown

All Australian
Aug 5, 2011
melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Lol at idiots who seriously tried saying Jack was the better Riewoldt.
They'll be going on until the rest of Roo's career, in the end it doesn't matter, he said a few years back that he used to really be affected by negative publicity, now he's got a "I don't give a s**t" attitude, and rightfully so, he knows there's people that don't like him and he knows there's people that love.

Even if you look at Roo during his times of goal kicking inaccuracy, putting aside the effort and leadership he still managed to provide. He'd normally end up kicking around 2 goals a game. Compare that to jack Riewoldt who would kick a single goal in one game, go scoreless in the next and then have 5 in the third game and be lamented as one of the "best" tall forwards... Just based off that, I'd prefer to have a consistent forward, but when you throw in his leadership, effort and now the impact he's having on the kids... Jack looks like a fourth round pick compared to him.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
I did

Not embarrassed of that call at all.

Still think he could be mentoring the next captain before he leaves, he will lead regardless if he has the captaincy next to his name or not.

He is also greatly improved his on feld leadership towards the kids this year, less berating, more encouraging.

Do you honestly think he'd be playing any different if he wasn't captain?

I do strongly believe whoever is the next captain would be benefiting from being at least co-captains with him.

Fact is that the players want him as Skipper. Nothing else matters.

Was very frustrated last year, but they still wanted him.

Too be honest, I wanted somebody different. Thought he was tired, thought he wasn't being a leader last year and probably so. Due to the change in coach, the invigorating of youth, him having a happy marriage and a distance between the the last tilt at the flag he has changed. Become better, more rounded and more of a leader.

He should still step aside at the end of the year to bring in the next wave of leaders.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

Aug 15, 2009
Geelong
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Liverpool
I'm hoping he plays another 3 years, but what is everyone's thoughts on what he'll do when he eventually retires?

He's fantastic in the media but has a great football brain and would be a really good coach. I reckon he'll have a shitload of offers when he hangs up the boots.
I'm gonna go with the unpopular opinion and say he'll probably retire to a ranch in Texas

Hopefully the little Riewoldts still grow up with a footy in hand :p

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Would be a shame if he was lost to football after he retires.

I can't see him being a senior coach but he could be a great assistant/skills coach for our forwards and he's a very polished media performer.

I'd like to think he'd stay involved with St Kilda in some capacity, he clearly loves the club which is why he has stayed loyal to us. Whatever happens he will be remembered as an all time great of St Kilda along with Lenny.

Back