Status
Not open for further replies.

clogged

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Apr 4, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Recruited 2008, it is now 2014. Part of Fremantle's biggest and best drafting haul since the rebuild, if not ever.

By way of comparison, Geelong's 2001 cohort (their best draft haul) was the same age when they won their first premiership in 2007. Many of them took until that year to be breakout stars (Ablett and Johnson being notable ones). Like Nick Suban, they took their time.

David Mundy, another slow developer, was recruited in 2003 and took until 2010 to break out in the midfield.

When can people expect Nick Suban to emerge to that level? Do we ever expect him to be that good? Or will he simply be an inconsistent, honest toiler?

Robinson is s**t and plays for a s**t club. But there are a heap of players that were taken between Suban and Robinson in the same draft who are much better players than both.

Time is running out for Suban before he cements himself as the player he will ever be. It is exceedingly rare for players to emerge as elite after turning 25. He is at the age where most people cite "well Gary Ablett took a long time".

His start to this season has been disappointing. When does it click?

He's been quite mediocre so far but definitely has the potential to breakout

Robinson is s**t and plays for a s**t club. But there are a heap of players that were taken between Suban and Robinson in the same draft who are much better players than both.

Time is running out for Suban before he cements himself as the player he will ever be. It is exceedingly rare for players to emerge as elite after turning 25. He is at the age where most people cite "well Gary Ablett took a long time".

His start to this season has been disappointing. When does it click?

It isn't that rare, but it is usually KPP who take a long time to mature as their bodies grow and then fill out. There are a few that come to mind in recent times who are quality mids (Mundy/Wells). Even if he never takes a step up from here, he's a decent player, and if Suban is one of the guys floating from 20-25 on our list, then we are going ok.

You could say the same about a number of players.

Stephen Hill is the same age at still hasn't become an elite player.
Zac Clarke has shown Potential but not delivered yet.

I am really hoping the Hill, Clarke, Suban, Sylvia, Mzungu, C and D Pearce all show us what they can do and then young players like Sheridan, Sutcliffe, Crozier, Neale all take a step as well.

Win, Lose or Draw I will be watching teh game to see how the above 10 players perform when they do not have the star players around them, because if they don't then we are little chance of winning a premiership.

I remember watching the Crows 97 and 98 grand finals as kid and being surprised by the number of lesser players that stepped up and got them into the grand finals. Players like Shane Ellen kicking 5 goals when he hadn't kicked more than 2 in a game in his entire career.

Wells was a much better player at the same age.
Suban is one of the guys floating from 20-25 on our list, then we are going ok.
Sure, but the side has been exposed for lack of midfield depth against good opponents. Can the side win if Barlow goes down? Some other guys need to step up in the absence of first class midfielders. The midfield needs to bat much deeper. Suban is the right age to step up. Will he?
Stephen Hill is the same age at still hasn't become an elite player.
Stephen Hill is a much better player, by a long margin, than Suban is.

Ruckmen and key forwards don't count, but even then most key forwards have begun to emerge by the age of 23.

Clay starts thread against his personal whipping boy.

Clay drives narrative in his chosen direction.

Premise of thread already dictated.

My actual intention is to make you cancel your account again.

This thread is about whether Suban will be a fringe player who plays a role or true depth that can fill a higher role when necessary.

If you can't engage with these kinds of thread, then that is your problem, not mine.

My actual intention is to make you cancel your account again.

This thread is about whether Suban will be a fringe player who plays a role or true depth that can fill a higher role when necessary.

If you can't engage with these kinds of thread, then that is your problem, not mine.

No. That's the thin veneer you painted over it.

The actual intention is a "bag Suban" monologue.

I have no problem with it, but don't try and bullshit the board that it is anything other than that.

By way of comparison, Geelong's 2001 cohort (their best draft haul) was the same age when they won their first premiership in 2007.

I'd argue that they're 1999 draft played a bigger part in their 2007 rise. Corey, Chapman, Ling and Enright.

Many of them took until that year to be breakout stars (Ablett and Johnson being notable ones). Like Nick Suban, they took their time.

David Mundy, another slow developer, was recruited in 2003 and took until 2010 to break out in the midfield.

When can people expect Nick Suban to emerge to that level?

If you're expecting him to get to the level of Ablett, Johnson and Mundy you gonna have a bad time.

Do we ever expect him to be that good? Or will he simply be an inconsistent, honest toiler?
I expect he'll always be that rung below Mundy, Fyfe and Barlow. I'd be looking for him to be better than Mzung, PearceD, Sylvia etc.

That's the nature of the draft, as good as Geelong's 2001 draft was they still picked up Charlie Gardiner at pick 23 overlooking Mitchell, Montagna and Swan. In 1999 they also picked Spriggs at 15, Bray at 17 and Foster at 23

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No. That's the thin veneer you painted over it.

The actual intention is a "bag Suban" monologue.

I have no problem with it, but don't try and bullshit the board that it is anything other than that.
What if it's a reverse troll and Clay is seeking our support and rally behind a tough great left footer who bleeds purple and tries his guts out?

Good answer Bender571. When should he be as good as those three? Bear in mind that while Mzungu was a later starter, Pearce and Sylvia were much better players at the same age. I chose Ablett and Mundy because they are standard bearers for late bloomers. Danyle Pearce was as good as he is now essentially from debut.

The whole thread has a negative tone to it. Stop kidding yourself.
If I wanted to be negative I could be far worse.

Stephen Hill is a much better player, by a long margin, than Suban is.

Ruckmen and key forwards don't count, but even then most key forwards have begun to emerge by the age of 23.

I wasn't comparing Hill, Clarke and Suban, all I was saying that we have a number of players who have not filled their potential.

He needs to get consistentcy into his game. He needs some space to use his deadly left foot. Always seems to be caught up in traffic. Beautiful kick though. He's not going to be elite but he's pretty handy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fear you may be right.

Some good games, not excellent but good, coated in layers of mediocre
Bagging him with a negative tone. Now I know why some call you the worst mod ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back