Nick Suban - When?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suban is one of the more trade-able players on our list now imo, I'm 50/50 on him. On one hand I would like to keep him because he is a very good kick of the Footy and we need more of them. On the other hand he has gone nowhere in six years, doesn't do the one percenters etc.

BULLSHIT .

Suban is a 1% type player through and through as well as one of the gutsiest players on our list .

Suban is one of the hardest trainers at the club and gives RTB and the team everything he's got .
He may not be the most talented player on our list but to read posts like yours makes me wonder what planet you are on .

He bleeds purple and I would love to have half a dozen more at the club like him .
I don't understand why you would have him go else where because he is a competitive beast and gives a contest every time he pulls on the jumper .
You obviously don't value the contribution he makes to the team and that's your problem .

I get really pissed off with posters that assume they are good judges of players and the role they play for the team .

Unique Name hit the nail on the head with his post because he has an understanding of how RTB can use a player like Suban .
In the Port game Suban did the hard in and under work that we needed and then when he had given his all we activated the sub in Crozier .

BULLSHIT .

Suban is a 1% type player through and through as well as one of the gutsiest players on our list .

Suban is one of the hardest trainers at the club and gives RTB and the team everything he's got .
He may not be the most talented player on our list but to read posts like yours makes me wonder what planet you are on .

He bleeds purple and I would love to have half a dozen more at the club like him .
I don't understand why you would have him go else where because he is a competitive beast and gives a contest every time he pulls on the jumper .
You obviously don't value the contribution he makes to the team and that's your problem .

I get really pissed off with posters that assume they are good judges of players and the role they play for the team .

Unique Name hit the nail on the head with his post because he has an understanding of how RTB can use a player like Suban .
In the Port game Suban did the hard in and under work that we needed and then when he had given his all we activated the sub in Crozier .

You couldn't be more wrong mate. How often do you see Suban run back with the flight of the ball? Lay a crucial tackle? Stand up in a big game?

In and under you say? He wins hardly any contested footy. In fact he is the lowest ranked Freo midfielder for winning contested ball (besides our tagger, Crowley). Daynle Pearce is a purely outside player who wins more. Suban averages only 13 possessions a game. All this from a high draft pick in a super-draft. How often do you hear Lyon praise him?

Stop making stuff up. Even the 1% stat he is is 25th at the club for this year. Open you eyes.

Again, I'm not saying we should necessarily trade him. But he is by no means untouchable. So many of our players have gone past him.

Last edited:
Nic Suban had 9 disposals on Saturday, 2 of which were contested. Not sure his inside work was as critical as you believe coulda, he was subbed out because he'd had no influence.

If 9 touches is "giving it his all" then that just proves he shouldn't be anywhere near the side (not that I think this but you really know how to cripple your own arguments).

Nic Suban had 9 disposals on Saturday, 2 of which were contested. Not sure his inside work was as critical as you believe coulda, he was subbed out because he'd had no influence.

If 9 touches is "giving it his all" then that just proves he shouldn't be anywhere near the side (not that I think this but you really know how to cripple your own arguments).

Saturday wasn't Nic's best game, for sure. Occasionally you have an off one. I was saying to the bloke next to me at the game that it was out of Suban or Hill to be subbed off and the sooner we get Croz on the better.
Not a great game from Subes aginst Port but I wouldn't pull the trigger on him for that game; it happens.

Fred, what do you think that strategy should be?

Personally I've always thought a teams sub should be a hard hitting midfielder and his main role should be to come on in the third quarter and 'legally' rough up the tiring opposition players as much as he can. Throw him in the middle at every clearance and tell him to make sure that one of the opposition players gets up slow. That's impact.

To say anything about the sub coming on and bagging a handle full of goals is stupid because that can't be guaranteed and if you thought he could kick goals at will then he would be best 21. To have your sub as a running player with a strategy of just run, run and run again is silly. You can't be guaranteed that's what the team needs. But I can tell you with certainty that an opposition team will have tired players that will tire even quicker when a sub comes on and runs straight through them. Suban could be this guy. Imagine if it became a thing of fear for the opposition teams knowing that he's on the ground completely fresh and looking to inflict some hurt.

Exactly what we have been doing.
A high impact player who gets into the game immediately. Crozier, on Saturday for example could have had a goal within 40 seconds of being on the ground.
Ideally, our Sub will be quick, beautiful kick, smart and tenacious with that ability to play numerous roles.
We have an abundance of them and I count Nic Suban among them.
As far as coming on and roughing up opponents, I think that's old school. You achieve better results by outplaying them.
Quality possessions and disposals is the game.

BULLSHIT .

He may not be the most talented player on our list but to read posts like yours makes me wonder what planet you are on.

Yeah, I'd agree he's one of the hardest and gutsiest players on our list, but not so sure about the heaps of 1%ers. If Subes can bring his average up to around 20 possessions a game, with his kick he'd be a great player. As it stands the other guys we can swap with him just get more ball. I'm not really sure what his issue is here because he seems fit and goes hard at the ball when there, i'd need to pay a lot more attention to him in games.

At this point I'd trade Suban to the Dogs or Demons for something. Higgins?

For someone who tries as hard as Suban does you would think he would get more of the footy. I think he gets stuck in the middle between inside and outside and ending up not doing enough. Needs to stick more consistently to one or the other.

id like to note, nearly ever single 'coast to coast' goal we have kicked in last 4 games or so has been a result of Suabn or Suttcliffe getting hands on ball from back half, just saying :)

What makes ya think is what other teams would be willing to trade for Suban, guy is starting 22 on every team in AFL except ours :/

although i have him rated as best 18 but thats me and my 'Suban Love' GO AT HOME WITH SUBAN!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

guy is starting 22 on every team in AFL except ours

I highly doubt he would get a game at Sydney, Hawthorn, Geelong, Port and possibly Essendon and Richmond as well. He is decent squad depth at the top teams.

Worst rule ever the sub rule. Leaving a player sitting on the bench for 3 quarters doing nothing most weeks. There are more productive ways of evening things up in case of injury.

If guys like Cheney & Spangher can still get games with the reigning premiers, Subes can continue to be adequate depth.

Cheney I don't understand but I actually think Spanger has played pretty good when given the opportunity.

id like to note, nearly ever single 'coast to coast' goal we have kicked in last 4 games or so has been a result of Suabn or Suttcliffe getting hands on ball from back half, just saying :)

Distinct lack of facts and stats there. If you are trying to imply that Suban is critical to our coast to coast goals you need better information than that. Plus if he is that critical, why does he get subbed?

Just some perspective about Suban; I think most posters here think he is a decent player. The debate is about if he is best 22, or best 25. And the question that it brings up is "Is he tradeable?" From my point of view I think he may be better placed at another club if he wants to get the most out of himself career-wise. If he wants to stay, well the club has already put their fiath in him with a nice long-term contract.

Suban steps up and has big moments in some games, he is a hard tackler and as my best mate who follows freo says, "he would die for you" .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back