Nick Suban - When?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I expect Suban will have had a fair bake from team leadership over the HTB in defensive 50 - he'll adjust to the new rule and I don't think we'll see it much more ;) Aside from that ****up, the rest rest of his game was serviceable for a first game of the season.

Wink or not, it was hardly an anomaly. He gets caught HTB at least once or twice a game.

People keep mentioning his left foot kicking as if it is some massive weapon, I mean is really that good?
Reckon it's more about his rotten right foot than having a good left one Kram.

After last weekend's game, it may very well be the case that Suban has now taken on D. Pearce's role from last year - collecting the ball and pumping it as far forward as possible. Danyle certainly seemed to be playing a different game, and Suban had quite a few i50's. Maybe now Danyle's role is more about spotting up players and sharking the odd goal.

I expect Suban will have had a fair bake from team leadership over the HTB in defensive 50 - he'll adjust to the new rule and I don't think we'll see it much more ;) Aside from that ****up, the rest rest of his game was serviceable for a first game of the season.
A clanger every third disposal is serviceable? This is AFL we talking about not WAFL. The issue I have is not the holding the ball problem, it's the fact that apart from the distance he puts on his left footers his disposal is not that flash. Has no right foot and his left foot is slightly above average not elite. If you can't kick on both feet you need to be elite off one foot. He just isn't.

A clanger every third disposal is serviceable? This is AFL we talking about not WAFL. The issue I have is not the holding the ball problem, it's the fact that apart from the distance he puts on his left footers his disposal is not that flash. Has no right foot and his left foot is slightly above average not elite. If you can't kick on both feet you need to be elite off one foot. He just isn't.

To be fair clangers include free kicks against, so of his 4 clangers, 3 were because he gave away the kick meaning only 1 was the result of his disposal.

I do agree with the rest, i don't think one of his 11 kicks resulted in a mark to a Freo player, too many were going to 50/50's

People keep mentioning his left foot kicking as if it is some massive weapon, I mean is really that good?

I certainly dislike Suban in our team as much as the next man, but I think it's pretty good. It's not Hill's but it's up there with Duffield's and Sutcliffe's kicking for mind.

The problem is he uses it, what, 5 times a game? Not enough. Goal Kicking has dropped off too.

To be fair clangers include free kicks against, so of his 4 clangers, 3 were because he gave away the kick meaning only 1 was the result of his disposal.

I do agree with the rest, i don't think one of his 11 kicks resulted in a mark to a Freo player, too many were going to 50/50's
Do they? Thought clangers were basically unforced errors. No reason not to believe you having said that thought he made more mistakes than that. A few of his kicks that were semi effective imo could've been better as well.

I remember walking away from Subi last yr (pretty sure it was the home game against Port we won) and the biggest surprise to me was how well Suban kicked the ball that arvo. Poetry in motion. Rushed kicks, long kicks. He was spot on.
Not to say he's always like that though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with whoever said Subes has a great kick in theory.

His kicking style looks beautiful, but too often it goes straight over the target's head. There was a perfect example on the far wing (from the tv cameras, but Right. In. Front. Of. Me.) early in the game where he had all the time in the world and kicked it so far over the leading forward's head that it went over his opponent too.

So after round 1, Suban wasn't dropped, didn't have a fork put him in, didn't get fired...
... And performed admirably in a dominant team performance in Round 2.

Yes, like others in the first half, he missed a very gettable set shot. But his aggression throughout the game on Johnson was an important element in helping us win the game. Suban got 17 possessions (13 kicks) and 4 tackles. Johnson got 20 possessions (11 kicks) and also kicked 0.1

The umpires were slightly slower in calling HTB in this game, and this may have made a big difference for Suban.

I look forward to reading all the "I was wrong" posts from the many numb nuts who posted over reactionary s**t in the last week.

So after round 1, Suban wasn't dropped, didn't have a fork put him in, didn't get fired...

Yes, like others in the first half, he missed a very gettable set shot. But his aggression throughout the game on Johnson was an important element in helping us win the game. Suban got 17 possessions (13 kicks) and 4 tackles. Johnson got 20 possessions (11 kicks) and also kicked 0.1

The umpires were slightly slower in calling HTB in this game, and this may have made a big difference for Suban.

I look forward to reading all the "I was wrong" posts from the many numb nuts who posted over reactionary s**t in the last week.
I don't think it was an over reaction, if certain other players were going to come in, then someone has to go out and many people view Suban as one of the bottom couple of performers from round 1, he was the obvious candidate. I don't know if today's performance is any vindication at all, I think I would still prefer to bring Mzungu in for Suban.

He was good but with Crozier, Gu & Dawson plus Weller & Blakely in the seconds if he plays two bad ones in a row he is out.

He is a good kick, yet he tries to either kick the leather off it or stab someone's eye out, needs to relax a bit.

But hats off today he played well against an ordinary mob.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was good but with Crozier, Gu & Dawson plus Weller & Blakely in the seconds if he plays two bad ones in a row he is out.

He is a good kick, yet he tries to either kick the leather off it or stab someone's eye out, needs to relax a bit.

But hats off today he played well against an ordinary mob.

I agree with all this. But I reckon that everyone in the team will be thinking that if they play two bad games in a row, they'll be out.
Pretty obviously, Suban hadn't played two bad games in a row after round 1.

No one. Why would I? I base my criticisms on the performance of the players. That you're not smart enough to see that and think it's 'scapegoating' is your problem, not mine.

Are you the smartest guy in the room? Nah. I don't think so.
Your way of supporting is to white ant the team you claim to support. You've got history.

Are you the smartest guy in the room? Nah. I don't think so.
Your way of supporting is to white ant the team you claim to support. You've got history.
I don't think you know what the term white ant means.

x2

You'll get no love on here. He helped Freo to a win big time today.

I wasn't impressed.
It was a reasonable performance in a game where the midfield dominated and the opposition was thrashed, and his defenders want to have it known that this was a game that reversed his 100+ games of mediocrity and ability to under perform in tough games.

But you know, he played OK in a thrashing again. This time it was Geelong instead of GWS, so credit to him.

Suban played well today, the problem is that he isn't better than Mzungu and MDB.

His set shot at goal is a joke, how many times does he miss directly in front? Its during finals when every set shot counts Suban is the biggest liability and shouldn't be any where near the fwd 50.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back