Nick Vlaustin on the way to being A grade

Remove this Banner Ad

Tough and uncompromising.

This young bull took the highly fancied Ollie Wines to the cleaners.

It's been a while since I have seen such a composed young player.

With conca and Ellis will provide a tremendous support act to the big three.

Vlaustin may very well be our own Jordan Lewis

I don't get it. I thought you said A grade?

love him already, i like his outside game and skills as well, a real tuff nut.

Also J Lewis is a gun, one of the best scoring involvement mids in the game

I hate the way the players are graded in A,B,C etc. especially by people that have no idea about the game or what role certain players play. Robert Walls was the worst, Sheahan also very bad. I give them both an F for football knowledge.

As for Vlas, strong potential is strong, more fitness and experience and he'll easily be one of our best in a few years.

Must say he has been performing to a much higher standard than expected but this thread is quite premature.

He still has a lot to work on, the most blatant is his inside skills. (Ye, i know right) Before you all start throwing rocks at me, his core is still very poor for an AFL player. He is constantly falling over around contests and is unable to be strong over the ball simply because he is NOT strong enough yet. He is big on the outside which means he is able to endure a bit to the body. However, Cotchin, who is not as beefed up as Vlastuin is much much stronger, simply because of his abnormally awesome core strength.

Most of Vlastuin's possessions were uncontested and were generally from marks. This isn't bad, it just shows he knows the right places to run. But if he is going to fulfill his potential, he'll need a few more pre-seasons under his belt to get his strength and fitness up to AFL standard.
I'd also like for him to be a bit smarter with the ball. He is missing a few easy targets by handball and kicks so it is slightly damaging his confidence. This has been resulting in long kicks which aren't too much help. It isn't too big a problem yet but is certainly something to keep a careful eye on.

One thing I would like to comment on is that his biggest concern pre-draft, which was his speed is no longer a concern. He has shown unexpected pace and it will really just compliment his game.

Still stoked we got Vlastuin with a bargain pick, and I can't wait until he peaks. He'll be a monster.

Vlastuin is already showing signs of the elite midfielder he could be. Still a long way to go though so I am happy with his current progress. This year will do a lot for him, he will make the most of the time he gets in the senior team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

gee you would want to hope so! Lewis would be C grade mid at best.

I swear some Tiger fans know absolutely nothing about other players...Lewis is a gun.

A comment was made earlier about his spread of uncontested possessions and contested possessions.
I haven't looked at the stats but what I will say is that he is fearless. He has complete uncompromising attack at the football, its extremely rare, especially with someone with his leadership potential. He is 3 pre-seasons away from his peak, and is extremely versatile.

I know we are only three games in, but he looks good.

My comparison to Lewis is due to his toughness, body shape and athletic ability, and his versatility, even though if anything, Nick could also sweep across half back in time, as he did in his junior years. People forget in his under 16 year, Vlaustin was a genuine top 3 pick.

Seriously, if he ended up as good as Lewis I'd be very happy. The guy is gold enough to play mid is the best team in the comp, has played over 100 games and is tough. Not every likely type ends up being Lenny Hayes.

Tough and uncompromising.

This young bull took the highly fancied Ollie Wines to the cleaners.

It's been a while since I have seen such a composed young player.

With conca and Ellis will provide a tremendous support act to the big three.

Vlaustin may very well be our own Jordan Lewis
has a bit of the lenny hayses bout him me thinks...:thumbsu:

My comparison to Lewis is due to his toughness, body shape and athletic ability, and his versatility, even though if anything, Nick could also sweep across half back in time, as he did in his junior years. People forget in his under 16 year, Vlaustin was a genuine top 3 pick.
Has better skills than Lewis, who is a good player but they are very similar types. Reckon young Nick has/will have more disposal polish though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back