Nick Vlaustin on the way to being A grade

Remove this Banner Ad

Very impressed so far, has shown a lot of good qualities, the most important ones being skillful, smart and tough. He's a bit shorter than I hoped, but does seem strong overhead.

I'm going to make an early call and say that he's our best draft pick since Martin.

Must say he has been performing to a much higher standard than expected but this thread is quite premature.

He still has a lot to work on, the most blatant is his inside skills. (Ye, i know right) Before you all start throwing rocks at me, his core is still very poor for an AFL player. He is constantly falling over around contests and is unable to be strong over the ball simply because he is NOT strong enough yet. He is big on the outside which means he is able to endure a bit to the body. However, Cotchin, who is not as beefed up as Vlastuin is much much stronger, simply because of his abnormally awesome core strength.

Most of Vlastuin's possessions were uncontested and were generally from marks. This isn't bad, it just shows he knows the right places to run. But if he is going to fulfill his potential, he'll need a few more pre-seasons under his belt to get his strength and fitness up to AFL standard.
I'd also like for him to be a bit smarter with the ball. He is missing a few easy targets by handball and kicks so it is slightly damaging his confidence. This has been resulting in long kicks which aren't too much help. It isn't too big a problem yet but is certainly something to keep a careful eye on.

One thing I would like to comment on is that his biggest concern pre-draft, which was his speed is no longer a concern. He has shown unexpected pace and it will really just compliment his game.

Still stoked we got Vlastuin with a bargain pick, and I can't wait until he peaks. He'll be a monster.
I hardly ever see Dusty go to ground in packs. I remember one game when Dusyy got 23 possies, The commentators counted how many times he went to ground. I think they counted 4-5, Which is stuff all really when you look at how many contests Dusty was around that game.

Very impressed so far, has shown a lot of good qualities, the most important ones being skillful, smart and tough. He's a bit shorter than I hoped, but does seem strong overhead.

I'm going to make an early call and say that he's our best draft pick since Martin.
I love Dusty, Proberly my favorite.player but I think this kid could be better......

I love Dusty, Proberly my favorite.player but I think this kid could be better......

To be honest, I just can't see this happening.

Dustin is the far better athlete and has way too many strings to his bow. Think of it as this, all the things Vlastuin can do, Martin can do, but Vlastuin can't do all the things that Martin can do. I suspect that we aren't going to see Vlastuin give off a succession of don't argues and then bomb a goal from 60m in his first 5 years at the club, let alone his FIRST! Yeah, Vlad is a more intent tackler, but I suspect that when Martin's fitness gets up to scratch, we'll start seeing 4-5 tackles a game from him as well.

Not taking anything away from Vlastuin but Martin is a very special player who when he gets his fitness up to scratch could be absolutely anything. Nick on the other hand doesn't possess those unique qualities but will still excel in the game due to his sheer will and determination.

To be honest, I just can't see this happening.

Dustin is the far better athlete and has way too many strings to his bow. Think of it as this, all the things Vlastuin can do, Martin can do, but Vlastuin can't do all the things that Martin can do. I suspect that we aren't going to see Vlastuin give off a succession of don't argues and then bomb a goal from 60m in his first 5 years at the club, let alone his FIRST! Yeah, Vlad is a more intent tackler, but I suspect that when Martin's fitness gets up to scratch, we'll start seeing 4-5 tackles a game from him as well.

Not taking anything away from Vlastuin but Martin is a very special player who when he gets his fitness up to scratch could be absolutely anything. Nick on the other hand doesn't possess those unique qualities but will still excel in the game due to his sheer will and determination.
I'll be happy if they complement each other for a decade.

He's a bit shorter than I hoped, but does seem strong overhead.

Perfect size for a mid I would have thought. 187cm
I think you may have his height wrong. 1cm off Deledio, as tall as Dusty and taller than Cotch.
What I love is the 86kg in his first year. That is impressive. Game revolves around strong big bodied mids.

Agree completely. Martin has the X factor. Vlas will be more of a Jobe Watson type, more workman like but a super player nontheless.

Perfect size for a mid I would have thought. 187cm
I think you may have his height wrong. 1cm off Deledio, as tall as Dusty and taller than Cotch.
What I love is the 86kg in his first year. That is impressive. Game revolves around strong big bodied mids.

he's built like an absolute bull for his age, wait till he puts a few more kilos on and players are bouncing off him in packs, going to be fun to watch for a long time. I personally can see him becoming better then ollie wines and jack viney, something about him just screams class to me :hearts::hearts: ..... heres to him having a long injury free career!!

Must say he has been performing to a much higher standard than expected but this thread is quite premature.

He still has a lot to work on, the most blatant is his inside skills. (Ye, i know right) Before you all start throwing rocks at me, his core is still very poor for an AFL player. He is constantly falling over around contests and is unable to be strong over the ball simply because he is NOT strong enough yet. He is big on the outside which means he is able to endure a bit to the body. However, Cotchin, who is not as beefed up as Vlastuin is much much stronger, simply because of his abnormally awesome core strength.

Most of Vlastuin's possessions were uncontested and were generally from marks. This isn't bad, it just shows he knows the right places to run. But if he is going to fulfill his potential, he'll need a few more pre-seasons under his belt to get his strength and fitness up to AFL standard.
I'd also like for him to be a bit smarter with the ball. He is missing a few easy targets by handball and kicks so it is slightly damaging his confidence. This has been resulting in long kicks which aren't too much help. It isn't too big a problem yet but is certainly something to keep a careful eye on.

One thing I would like to comment on is that his biggest concern pre-draft, which was his speed is no longer a concern. He has shown unexpected pace and it will really just compliment his game.

Still stoked we got Vlastuin with a bargain pick, and I can't wait until he peaks. He'll be a monster.
Yep,We need to settle down with the expectations of Vlas who has played 3 games at AFL level,The OP to say he took Wines to the cleaners is a tad over doing it as both kids are in exactly the same boat,How did Vlas look against Freo and Geelong when we lost?;).Vlas will be an upgrade on Tucky that i'm confident of.

Yep,We need to settle down with the expectations of Vlas who has played 3 games at AFL level,The OP to say he took Wines to the cleaners is a tad over doing it as both kids are in exactly the same boat,How did Vlas look against Freo and Geelong when we lost?;).Vlas will be an upgrade on Tucky that i'm confident of.

in the first half against freo he was one of our best actually, he obviously ran out of gas after that and went missing. Against geelong he was no where near our worst, 20 touches, 5 tackles.... not bad at all. I personally agree with the "we cant get ahead of ourselves" notion, but he's doing more then i think your giving him credit for

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Vlas can translate his obvious ability into a consistent mature AFL player he will be A grade. But there are a lot fo guys like that, who don't make it. However he sounds like the type that will leave nothing undone to get the best out of himself. If so, we have another winner.

I can see Dusty being a multiple Brownlow medallist if he could play to his potential. Vlas is more limited, but could be very good. Anyway, looking excellent. And I like that he had to play his way into the team, it wasn't gifted.

Looking at more than just Vlas, Richmond's first round drafting has been excellent of recent years. Conca, Ellis and Vlastuin will prove to be extremely important players for us as well as picking up Dylan Grimes. Credit to our recruiting over the past years, will go a long way in determining our success.

Agree completely. Martin has the X factor. Vlas will be more of a Jobe Watson type, more workman like but a super player nontheless.

If someone told me that prior to the draft I'd have taken it any day of the week :thumbsu:

Was very happy with Vlaustin and Ellis's game against Port and the last few weeks before that. It's good to start having faith in our recruiters.

Come to think of it. It's not just the recruiters, it's also our development coaches. Melbourne has shown us what happens to talent when it's not being developed.

The only thing Tigger has over Dusty at the moment is leadership abilities. Hoes fantastic poise too. Good kick under pressure and tough as a cats head when hunting the ball. I'm very impressed by the lad.

Quick question without notice - if you had to choose at the moment at the selection table between Ellis and Tigger, who would you go with?

in the first half against freo he was one of our best actually, he obviously ran out of gas after that and went missing. Against geelong he was no where near our worst, 20 touches, 5 tackles.... not bad at all. I personally agree with the "we cant get ahead of ourselves" notion, but he's doing more then i think your giving him credit for
Wasn't having a go at Vlas,Just pointing out than in most cases[unless your Ablett] when your getting beat then it makes you look average.Wines copped it on the W/End but by no means can we judge both for a few years yet.

The only thing Tigger has over Dusty at the moment is leadership abilities. Hoes fantastic poise too. Good kick under pressure and tough as a cats head when hunting the ball. I'm very impressed by the lad.

Quick question without notice - if you had to choose at the moment at the selection table between Ellis and Tigger, who would you go with?
Can we make it Jackson Vs Vlas?:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back