Nilma Darnum V Cora Lynn Sat 12-9-2009 at Cora Lynn

saint leo

Club Legend
Nov 7, 2007
Gippsland
AFL Club
Essendon
If someone is overseas its a bit harder... but i do know there have been injured blokes that have been named to play in the two's and haven't and they just play with three on the bench.

Yeah i know a lot of ppl do that, and probably more common in the juniors with more on the bench. I got told they had to get changed and acutally be on the bench, even if its only a quarter.

Well sneak you might be right and he might have played 2 games for a short time, Whats the deal beljak?

beljak

Senior List
Feb 2, 2009
Pakenham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Cora Lynn
Yeah i know a lot of ppl do that, and probably more common in the juniors with more on the bench. I got told they had to get changed and acutally be on the bench, even if its only a quarter.

Well sneak you might be right and he might have played 2 games for a short time, Whats the deal beljak?

Not 100% sure, I know he played the 2 senior games and I remember he sat on the bench in full gear for a reserves game earlier in the year, as did Crespin as we weren't sure how many Casey games he was going to play, but I'm not sure about the last round whether he actually sat on the bench in full gear or not. I don't think there is much that can be done about it now, maybe something the league needs to look at next year. Not sure how you would police it though, considering we have club umpires in the 2's.

Apr 25, 2006
East of Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
If he has been named in the reserves, and not played, but fronted up in the seniors as well, then it is only 1 game.

You cant claim 2 games due to being on 2 team sheets on the same day. Likewise you cant claim to have qualified for the reserves by doing the same thing. It is only registered as 1 senior game for qualifying purposes.

Other than that, if he has played or been named on 4 different team sheets on 4 different Saturdays, barring any restrictions set on him for his involvement with the VFL (See Ben Hughes circa 2004 or 2005 3rds finals), he should be fine to play.

How you tell the 43rd player that he isnt playing, even though he has been in the magoos all year, because a bloke who actually played maybe 2 games is taking his spot at the top end, well, thats another thing.

Surkin

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
France
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Knicks
I think that would be the hardest thing to ever do at a football club, tell someone that they have not been selected for a grand final, be it senior or reserves.

We had a situation a while ago at Lang Lang when a thirds player was brought into the reserves grand final for a player who had played every game. The thirds player was the better player no doubt and may have been the difference in a tight match. But at the end of the day they ended winning by 50 points so would not have made a difference. The thirds player that got bought up is one of my good mates but at the end of the day I still feel it was the wrong decision by the club.

Having said that, this is a completely different situation. You have to take all stops to try and win a senior premiership. If the thirds player got brought into the senior side for someone who had played all year I wouldn't have a problem with it if he were the better player. Likewise with DC, he is qualified, has played games this year, played all season last year and may be the difference between winning and losing. The club has a responsibility to bring him in and try and win the GF. Someone misses and you have to feel for them but that's football.

jd34

Rookie
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
What sort of finals experience does Darnum have and will that have an impact in this match? Obviously Mal has won the odd AFL premiership, but what about others in the team.

Just looking at it from afar, given Cora Lynn went thruogh this last year, and it's also at their home, surely that's a big advantage on both counts?

mayhem20202

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2007
Sale, Vic
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Leeds United
What sort of finals experience does Darnum have and will that have an impact in this match? Obviously Mal has won the odd AFL premiership, but what about others in the team.

Just looking at it from afar, given Cora Lynn went thruogh this last year, and it's also at their home, surely that's a big advantage on both counts?

I can only speak for the guys that I know.
Brenton Martin has played in the last 3 WGLFL grand finals, arguably been best on ground in 2 of them. David Ivey has played in 6 senior premierships in the last 10 years. Kane Martin certainly played in last year's WGLFL grand final and had a good day. Phil Harris played last year. Aurisch, although he didn't play last year, played in the 2 grand finals before that.

Apr 25, 2006
East of Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Let me spell it out Tumbleweed, for the simple ones here:

Currently there are 21 players playing in a senior side, yes?
Currently there are 22 players playing in a reserves side, yes?

That would equal 43 would it not?

Before a mention of Collins, 43 players are selected to play, irrespective of who they are.

Collins comes in to the senior side and "BANG" you have to tell the 43rd player (whoever it may be) that he aint playing because ol' Davo is having a run in the ones.

Is that a little clearer for the people that have very little grey-matter or imagination?

I hope this ends the conversation.

mayhem20202

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2007
Sale, Vic
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Leeds United

Before a mention of Collins, 43 players are selected to play, irrespective of who they are.

Collins comes in to the senior side and "BANG" you have to tell the 43rd player (whoever it may be) that he aint playing because ol' Davo is having a run in the ones.

Is that a little clearer for the people that have very little grey-matter or imagination?

Personally, I thought it was fairly straight forward from the get go.

Aussie_Bloke

Rookie
Aug 21, 2009
ellinbank
AFL Club
Geelong
fairly sure collo has played at least 6 or 7 senior games for casey, so not sure wether he will play, im sure the league will be well aware of the situation!!

beljak

Senior List
Feb 2, 2009
Pakenham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Cora Lynn
fairly sure collo has played at least 6 or 7 senior games for casey, so not sure wether he will play, im sure the league will be well aware of the situation!!

He has played 4 club games. Doesn't matter how many senior Casey games he has played. Casey got eliminated on the weekend. Collins trained tonight, Collins will play on Saturday.

Surkin

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
France
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Knicks
New forecast is for 25 degrees. Surkin may be a late scratching in favour of some early season tanning.

Jeffrey Boots

Debutant
Apr 4, 2008
Richmond
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If he has been named in the reserves, and not played, but fronted up in the seniors as well, then it is only 1 game.

You cant claim 2 games due to being on 2 team sheets on the same day. Likewise you cant claim to have qualified for the reserves by doing the same thing. It is only registered as 1 senior game for qualifying purposes.

Other than that, if he has played or been named on 4 different team sheets on 4 different Saturdays, barring any restrictions set on him for his involvement with the VFL (See Ben Hughes circa 2004 or 2005 3rds finals), he should be fine to play.

How you tell the 43rd player that he isnt playing, even though he has been in the magoos all year, because a bloke who actually played maybe 2 games is taking his spot at the top end, well, thats another thing.

Despite what they might say, most clubs are happy to bite the bullet and give someone the Derek Kickett come finals time. Darnum never use to have a problem dropping thirds players who played the whole year in the seniors back to the thirds at the expense of young battlers that had played all year.

Tumbleweed

Team Captain
May 18, 2009
Spencer St
AFL Club
Adelaide

Ok, so when DC is selected in the ones, who do they talk to?.....the 44th player, coz he's not playing!!

Surkin

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
France
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Knicks
How does everyone see the match-ups going this weekend?

I would think
Bergels - Payne
Michael - O'Hara
Martin - Crespin

What about Sheen and Dwyer? Who will go to them?

Any midfield tags?

Jane Doe

Club Legend
Sep 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I know Matt Olney has a fair bit of finals experience over the years.

Back