Nine asks Richie to commentate from home

Remove this Banner Ad

I dream of a world where Bumble, Holding and Vaughan are regulars on channel 9.
The problem is not the commentators. It is the TV stations.

Nine has decided/realised (as has 7 with the football) that the rusted on types are going to watch regardless, and it is up to the commentators to provide simpleton-comedic value to keep the casual fan interested. They have no choice given how much money they spent on the broadcasting rights.

BT is not as bad on the radio as he is on TV. Bruce (who is slipping) is not nearly as insufferable calling the tennis. Ditto Dennis when he covers other sports. Slater and Warne don't behave the same way as they do on 9 when they work for other stations. Last summer Michael Vaughan would come out of the BBC box where they do things the right way, and would walk through the door into Channel 9 as a completely different person.

You move Bumble, Holding and Vaughan to Channel 9 and you get the same problem.

The problem is not the commentators. It is the TV stations.

Nine has decided/realised (as has 7 with the football) that the rusted on types are going to watch regardless, and it is up to the commentators to provide simpleton-comedic value to keep the casual fan interested. They have no choice given how much money they spent on the broadcasting rights.

BT is not as bad on the radio as he is on TV. Bruce (who is slipping) is not nearly as insufferable calling the tennis. Ditto Dennis when he covers other sports. Slater and Warne don't behave the same way as they do on 9 when they work for other stations. Last summer Michael Vaughan would come out of the BBC box where they do things the right way, and would walk through the door into Channel 9 as a completely different person.

You move Bumble, Holding and Vaughan to Channel 9 and you get the same problem.

Vaughan was still tolerable on channel 9 last year.

Maybe channel 9 should open their cheque book, and try and entice Kerry O'Keefe out of retirement. Skull was solid gold on the ABC: it's a shame we won't hear him this summer.
Skully has his own radio show on 2GB Saturday afternoons from 12-4 debuting over summer called "The Kerry O'Keeffe Show" starts as soon as the NRL finishes.

So is Bumble and Vaughany coming back? Bumble made last summer so enjoyable to listen too.

Also hopefully Bill comes back, best commentator of all time. Let Richie retire and have time to relax before he goes.

Eventually Ritchie Benaud will be like the movie - Weekend at Bernie's.

REX_weekend_at_bernies_kab_140129_16x9_992.jpg

It staggers me the other commentators haven't learnt from Richie. Richie operates on 3 basic rules:

- check the ego in at the door
- imagine the viewers are sitting next to you watching the cricket. They can see everything you can see
- less is more.

It shouldn't be that hard.

One of my favourite "Richieisms" is when pandemonium breaks out, after it's all settled down, Richie merely adds, "Well". Just perfect.

It staggers me the other commentators haven't learnt from Richie. Richie operates on 3 basic rules:

- imagine the viewers are sitting next to you watching the cricket. They can see everything you can see
- less is more.

One of my favourite "Richieisms" is when pandemonium breaks out, after it's all settled down, Richie merely adds, "Well". Just perfect.

I get tired of past players reliving past glory in yesteryear to which to some mean sweet f* all.

Im sure Ian Chappell will remind us about cricket in the 70s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get tired of past players reliving past glory in yesteryear to which to some mean sweet f* all.

Im sure Ian Chappell will remind us about cricket in the 70s.
Worst commentator on 9.

worst of the old lot anyway

he's miles ahead of any of the current gen
Nicholas>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Chappelli.

- less is more.

It's not that they haven't learnt, it's more that they are misinterpreting their target audience.

Or tell us how good Les Favell was.

Its funny there are so many old cricketers he mentions that I have no clue who he is talking about.

I will say the standard of cricket that is played today is far superior to yesteryear in Chappells era.

Then you would be very,very wrong

The improvement in fielding has completely changed the way the game is played. I think speed of the pace bowling is faster in todays generation than in yesteryear. It would make sense given that cricketers are a lot stronger and fitter too.

I have watched the feared "West Indian pace attack" of the 80s and still believe that McGrath, Gillespie and Lee on song are much more difficult to face.

Its hard to gauge whether batsmen have improved or whether the improvement in equipment has led to the increase in scoring, I tend to think it is also a bit of both.

The improvement in fielding has completely changed the way the game is played. I think speed of the pace bowling is faster in todays generation than in yesteryear. It would make sense given that cricketers are a lot stronger and fitter too.

I have watched the feared "West Indian pace attack" of the 80s and still believe that McGrath, Gillespie and Lee on song are much more difficult to face.

Its hard to gauge whether batsmen have improved or whether the improvement in equipment has led to the increase in scoring, I tend to think it is also a bit of both.
Sorry I cannot agree by any measure other fielding - the West Indies were fast - ******* fast and there were four of them bowling 12 overs per hour and nothing in your half. There is no way in the world today's bowlers were faster. Pitches today are roads - back then it was a lottery. Batting technique has declined significantly, grounds have got smaller, bats bigger. Try facing Marshall, Holding, Garner & Roberts without a lid on a spiteful pitch. Go on YouTube or get a copy of Fire in Babylon. That quartet would make mince meat of the current Australian batting line up.

I faced Marshall as an old man bowling half rat power - at will he could hit a batsman whenever he wanted and move it both ways - these guys were classes above anything we've seen since.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back