Nisbett: Judd Best Ever Eagle (and Team 25)

Remove this Banner Ad

Matera was a champion. Cousins was a champion. Judd will go down as an afl legend. He was already approaching that at wce. People want to mark Judd down because he left. But in terms of best players Judd is the best by far. He still played 130 odd games for us. He still needs to have 2-3 seasons at Carlton to beat that.

Didn't think much of that team to be honest. Glass surely ahead of Brennan in the 22, Lynch deserved a spot ahead of Hunter. Kennedy deserves a spot ahead of White. LeCras too has done enough to warrant selection. Gardiner too got screwed, he was the competitions best Ruckman for a number of years when he was with us.

I don't think Judd was no.1 either, as brilliant as he was I rate Ben Cousins and Peter Matera higher.

Just think how dominant a backline of Mcintosh, Glass, Wirra, Woosha, Jako and Bluey would be....

Based on Team 25 - 5 of the back 6 come from the early 90's team

So that leaves remiving Hart for Wirra - whilst an upgrade - not a massive one as Hart was an outstanding footballer.

It just shows how dominant that back 6 was - unlikely to be matched in many a decade.

And on the Mcintosh/Glass issue - McIntosh was comfortably a better footballer. More athletic, better in the air, stronger and miles better disposal.

Glass definitely the smarter human though - Ash is a rock ape.

imho he was. he was the best eagle and is in the top couple of players i have ever seen while watching football from the late 80s onwards

cuz, roo, jacko and cox are on the next level for me, all 4 played alot of amazing football, were all multiple AAs, dominant in their position, and were considered in the top 5 in the league when at their best.

but judd in those early years was just something else on top. the fact that he was the best player in the league was undisputed. where he would end up among the best of all time was the only thing in dispute

and rightly i reckon.

In terms of football ability Judd by far is the greatest Eagle and is arguably one of the greatest of all time. People forget how good he was at the Eagles.

My favourite player by far is Ben Cousins for his overall awesomeness.

BTW I started following the Eagles after I saw Peter Matera's Norm Smith winning game in the 1992 GF, the rest is history..

Personally think judd has andrew mcleod syndrome. Absolutely amazing player at the start of their careers while the rest of their careers while very good just isn't at the same level but their reputation rides on the coat tails of those early achievements. I reckon you can add gavin wanganeen to that list as well.

Judd's time at the Eagles is the best I've ever seen by a fair bit and I've only been watching for 15 years the guy was just a god.

[youtube]QtsgBG_oYVs[/youtube]

We are blessed to have this type of player at his peak he absolutely killed it, we may not see a better player for a while but I like the look of Jager.

You would think Lynch would get a game ahead of White, been the most consistent over the most amount of games. Bleeds Blue & Gold and other than our big 3 in the midfield was probably our most important player in 2006

You would think Lynch would get a game ahead of White, been the most consistent over the most amount of games. Bleeds Blue & Gold and other than our big 3 in the midfield was probably our most important player in 2006

I have a feeling supporters will only begin to appreciate him once he has retired. Criminally underrated.

On the plus side, at least he has never received death threats like Sumich did during his playing career :eek:

Glass deserves full back now.
Not sure. Mcintosh was pretty darn good and played forward when needed. Both excellent defenders. Mcintosh simply did more.

Judd's stint was long enough for me. 2004-07 he would have been in a World XXIII if the game was global. Even faster and stronger than Matera. He's not as good at Carlton, but still an absolute star. To digress I can't believe how good Ablett jnr became.

Glass deserves full back now.
Ash Mcintosh was a far better player than darren glass.
one of the greatest shames were his body not standing up because he could have been classed better than steve silvagni minus the hangin on.

Was always of humour in ash's later years to see him play the first two games of each year with speed,agility and brilliance only to get slower,less nimble and struggle to get out of his own way by halfway through the year when his knees starting to get sore.
still rarely beaten though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guys White had style but little substance, Lynch the opposite and you guys missed the class and allround guts of Kempy. Now this guy bleed blue and gold and always put his club first unlike Cousins. Matera was the most skilled out of the bunch and I would have Roo over Judd just for his loyalty. Glass I would have over for a beer, Ash Mac well us 80s guys have seen him in action at the clubs in Perth back then...:thumbsu: Good times
Fav Eagle Kempy had it all, good bloke, loyal, fast elusive, a leader, goal kicker , game changer, hard worker...someone I would have in the trenches

Guys White had style but little substance, Lynch the opposite and you guys missed the class and allround guts of Kempy. Now this guy bleed blue and gold and always put his club first unlike Cousins.

This is an unfair statement. Cousins bled on the field for the Eagles probably more than any other player in our history. Off the field he was a flawed individual, who fell for the vices that fame brings. I think that's how you have to remember him.

Guys White had style but little substance, Lynch the opposite and you guys missed the class and allround guts of Kempy. Now this guy bleed blue and gold and always put his club first unlike Cousins. Matera was the most skilled out of the bunch and I would have Roo over Judd just for his loyalty. Glass I would have over for a beer, Ash Mac well us 80s guys have seen him in action at the clubs in Perth back then...:thumbsu: Good times
Fav Eagle Kempy had it all, good bloke, loyal, fast elusive, a leader, goal kicker , game changer, hard worker...someone I would have in the trenches

Kempy was just super classy and if anything was almost too fair and clean. He'd have assholes like williams and libba just riding him and he'd just brush it off as though they weren't there. The sort of guy you'd want your sister or daughter to marry.

This is an unfair statement. Cousins bled on the field for the Eagles probably more than any other player in our history. Off the field he was a flawed individual, who fell for the vices that fame brings. I think that's how you have to remember him.
Yeah fair enough, true. But vomiting on field from a bender is not preparing for a match or for the club with their best interests in mind. Would love to remember him how you say but the guy was selfish and had more than a few chances to do the best for the club but choose to ignore that advice.
Loved Cousins, but best ever Eagle...??? he is in good company

Yeah fair enough, true. But vomiting on field from a bender is not preparing for a match or for the club with their best interests in mind. Would love to remember him how you say but the guy was selfish and had more than a few chances to do the best for the club but choose to ignore that advice.
Loved Cousins, but best ever Eagle...??? he is in good company

The whole reason its called an addiction is because it removes your choice. I still advocate cousins best as making judd look second rate at times. You had an athlete and you had a champion player. I'll take the champion player every time.

Kempy was just super classy and if anything was almost too fair and clean. He'd have assholes like williams and libba just riding him and he'd just brush it off as though they weren't there. The sort of guy you'd want your sister or daughter to marry.
Yeah, so lightly framed yet would never back away from a contest, squibs like S Hill could learn alot from him. Him and Bluey oozed class

The whole reason its called an addiction is because it removes your choice. I still advocate cousins best as making judd look second rate at times. You had an athlete and you had a champion player. I'll take the champion player every time.
Judd never looked second rate when he was playing for us. Calling him an athlete massively understates his football ability. He was a true champion who saved his best football for finals matches, at his peak the best player to represent the club.

Judd never looked second rate when he was playing for us. Calling him an athlete massively understates his football ability. He was a true champion who saved his best football for finals matches, at his peak the best player to represent the club.

He's a very, very good player but what took him to the next level was his athletic ability and even then i still think cousins best was better. I am however biased and i will admit it.

Peter Matera was the best eagle if some-one did a highlights video he would smoke Judd`s highlights, while no denying Judd was a champ.

So IMO Matera ,Cousins ,Judd ,Mckenna ,??......

Peter Matera was the best eagle if some-one did a highlights video he would smoke Judd`s highlights, while no denying Judd was a champ.

So IMO Matera ,Cousins ,Judd ,Mckenna ,??......

I would go with that list

Judd was a better footballer than athlete. Matera was from an erea when eagles players were under rated in the press. Lewis was brilliant. Watch a few old videos and it is the skill that stands out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back