NLA (formerly an interview with speculative pick Tyler Roos)

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty much what you would expect. Die-hard Swans/Dees fan because of his dad. But has always known that we have the option of Father/Son and because he is a rather speculative pick, he'll probably be content to play anywhere.

Speculative pick? Not really. What makes him speculative in your opinion?

"Just want to play footy anywhere"

Don't know the kid at all so no swipe at him, but after seeing 5 kids walk away from the club last year it's not that easy anymore.

If he's good enough, we will take him - if not then that's the end of it.

Well spoken kid with a level head on his shoulders, if he's good enough and the price is right sure pick him up. Just don't rely on sentimentality to keep him here.

Anything after the first round almost becomes 'speculative' in a sense IMO. In fact, one could argue all picks are 'speculative' to a degree. I think the point is that he won't be in super high demand from a lot of clubs so might be keen to come to the lions if it guarantees a list spot.

I doubt his heart would be in it with the Lions. If he was first round rated then you would probably take a chance but I gather he is rather less fancied than that. I think of the two, I'd rather have Josh Clayton.

Will depend on how many academy kids we plan on taking really. Father son bidding happens before academy bidding i believe, will be interesting to see his 'draft worth' come draft day.

Pretty sure it's simultaneous, i.e. bids are taken on both at the same time.

Yes, really. He isn't demanding selection from anyone. Could easily not be drafted.

Credit to Paige on that one. Pretty good interview.

Roos managed to get a fair bit of it at the Champs for NSW as a HFF/wing but was fairly invisible in doing so. Not a lot of hurt factor.

This a pretty shallow draft and I would expect him to be a decent chance to be drafted either by us or someone else.

Surely while Paul is coach of Melbourne the Dees won't take him? It would be a pretty weird situation and you would have to wonder how good it would be for his development and team morale/culture. Sure Roos Snr will only be there for another 1, possibly 2 years but would strike some as less than ideal for everyone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely while Paul is coach of Melbourne the Dees won't take him? It would be a pretty weird situation and you would have to wonder how good it would be for his development and team morale/culture. Sure Roos Snr will only be there for another 1, possibly 2 years but would strike some as less than ideal for everyone.
Interesting call, off the top of my head I'm seem to recall that the sons of coaches Francis Bourke and Denis Pagan getting selected - I'd have no issue with us nominating Tyler with a late pick on his pedigree and from what I saw in his last U18 game - Although he seems to have his old mans on field footy brain it will be the combine results imo that will get him the nod ahead of some of our local taller/KP lads.

Didn't the Denis Pagan/Ryan Pagan thing cause a pretty big rift at North?

I remember quite a few calls of nepotism were bandied about.

The most recent example of a very big rift with the selection of a son(s) in a father coached team was the recently axed Perth Glory coach Alistair Edwards in not only promoting two of his sons onto the Glory squad, but also selecting them in front of the likes of captain or ex-captain and fan favourite Jacob Burns.

Hi guys,

I work for TAC Cup Radio, and recently I interviewed Tyler Roos at half time on the weekend in Sandringham's Round 11 match against the Bendigo Pioneers. As Roos is a father/son prospect to the Lions, I though this would be of interest to Brisbane fans.

The audio can be listened to, and downloaded from (if you wish) from SoundCloud.

There's also a draft profile I wrote on him, which can be viewed here.
http://boundforglorynews.com/2014-draft-profile-tyler-roos/
http://boundforglorynews.com/2014-draft-profile-tyler-roos/
Feel free to follow us on twitter @TACCupRadio, as we are the official broadcast partner of the TAC Cup.

View attachment 66597

Thanks for that - sounds like a pretty level headed kid. Could be in the mix for a late selection.

He got special permission to play for the RAMS this year despite living in Melbourne because he didn't get selected for the Vic team. He had his name mentioned in the best players list a few times. Might be worth a shot.

Only interested if he plays as his dad played and not as his dad coaches.
I remember watching Paul Roos as a teenager at Beverley Hills, there seems to be numerous similarities - the most striking being the visual - rounded shoulders and a slight hunch being the most notable... I wonder if he also likes basketball as much as his old-man did back in his day?

FWIW might as well take him as a 5th rd pick. You never know!!! Ablett Jnr wasn't a highly regarded junior and he really excelled. I remember watching him play for Vic Country and thought he was a poor man's diesel Williams, once paced and good by hand. Didn't see the explosive pace, the evasiveness and the hunger for the footy.

FWIW might as well take him as a 5th rd pick. You never know!!! Ablett Jnr wasn't a highly regarded junior and he really excelled. I remember watching him play for Vic Country and thought he was a poor man's diesel Williams, once paced and good by hand. Didn't see the explosive pace, the evasiveness and the hunger for the footy.
I always thought Ablett jnr was going to make it - he was super smart from day one and just read the play beautifully - he was the total opposite of his father totally team focused. I'd take another Roos in a heartbeat at the right pick - you know what you are going to get.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back