NMFC mentions on television & wireless

Remove this Banner Ad

Ats still got a good mark taken off him for a technical free but the umpiring was decent overall, very good in the second half.

Agree, there were still errors either way.

But after finding footy bordering unwatchable last year because you just knew in any sequence of play a player would fold over for an in the back.. or an otherwise good tackle that should've drawn a HTB would be punished for brushing a neck hair.. I am definitely preferring this application of the rulebook.

Get a grip peanut. I'm not harrassing anyone. I wrote a comment in the article mentioning that this should have been a match report, not a comment piece. Hardly harrassment.

Apparently critiquing a journalist is now on par with stealing food coupons from an orphan.

Not sure why you got the backlash either.

Apparently critiquing a journalist is now on par with stealing food coupons from an orphan.

Not sure why you got the backlash either.

"Thanks, I gave him a spray on The Age website, have now backed it up on Twitter."

Would be why - the bloke is just doing his job as an SMH journo. Leave a comment in the article fine, don't go after him on twitter too. Just supports the stereotype that we're all sooky lalas when it comes to media reporting (which we are).

"Thanks, I gave him a spray on The Age website, have now backed it up on Twitter."

Would be why - the bloke is just doing his job as an SMH journo. Leave a comment in the article fine, don't go after him on twitter too. Just supports the stereotype that we're all sooky lalas when it comes to media reporting (which we are).

I enjoy your objectivity mate and am happy to agree to disagree on the appropriatenss of BowWow1978 's approach.

Thewlis The guy publishes his Twitter address on the age website - it's fair game to use Twitter to let him know that his article was crap and why. Calling for objective reporting is hardly "sooky lala" behaviour.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Thewlis The guy publishes his Twitter address on the age website - it's fair game to use Twitter to let him know that his article was crap and why. Calling for objective reporting is hardly "sooky lala" behaviour.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

That's fine, I just think attacking the journo himself is completely the wrong target. He's only writing to his own audience, which is Sydney readership.

Anyway have given my thoughts so will leave it. I just think it's poor form to have a go at people who are doing their job and it makes North fans look silly/sensitive.

That's fine, I just think attacking the journo himself is completely the wrong target. He's only writing to his own audience, which is Sydney readership.

Anyway have given my thoughts so will leave it. I just think it's poor form to have a go at people who are doing their job and it makes North fans look silly/sensitive.
I'll butt in and point out : he surely knows that his article will be used by Fairfax to run in The Age, as they are too cheap to fly a Melbourne football writer up there. So it's not unreasonable to ask him to write a balanced report, rather than one that assumes the Swans are the only story to consider.

It was a shithouse article anyway so deserved a spray.

Sent from my waffle machine using Tapatalk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look at his strength. Mcveigh? is all over him and collapses his knees in the tackle and Cunners doesn't even fall over.
Yep, and gets a sweet handball out too. Top shelf.

Get a grip peanut. I'm not harrassing anyone. I wrote a comment in the article mentioning that this should have been a match report, not a comment piece. Hardly harrassment.
tough guy abusing journalists on twitter because he didn't write about a team he isn't paid to write about...
at the end of the day you've misinterpreted the blame and had a cry to the wrong person.

I'll butt in and point out : he surely knows that his article will be used by Fairfax to run in The Age, as they are too cheap to fly a Melbourne football writer up there. So it's not unreasonable to ask him to write a balanced report, rather than one that assumes the Swans are the only story to consider.

Why would that be any of his concern? He is employed by the SMH and would write to the readership his editor instructs him to (which, funnily enough, would be Sydney people).

I don't disagree with the premise but going at the journo himself is entirely the wrong target.

There are two things to consider here.
1: Match Reports (which the article in question claims to be) These should report on the match, the events that happened, who won/lost and how.
2: Comment/Opinion pieces - Happy for these to be as complimentary or otherwise of either team and have a bias towards the hometown city.

I'm not on my Pat Malone in being critical of the article. Other comments about the article echoed my sentiments (including from a couple of Sydney supporters.) I used the language "gave him a spray" which is maybe why you got your frilly knickers in a twist. I actually didn't give him a spray, I simply pointed out that the article was meant to be a match report and not a comment piece. Part of the reason W.A. and S.A. supporters are such a rabid bunch of morons is that their media never write a balanced article. The reporters simply write for the local audience, whereas the Melbourne based journo's, even with the overall poor standard of AFL journalism still need to try and be more objective as they are writing for the supporters of both sides. The key difference is that The Age rarely publishes articles written by the S.A. and W.A. journos in a Melbourne paper - or if they do, it's deliberately more objective as they understand the difference between objective writing and opinion pieces.

Finally, if Wu doesn't want feedback either positive or negative, then don't put your bloody email address and twitter handle on the article!

That's fine, but why don't you send such feedback to the SMH directly? Twitter: @SMHsport

I'm not disagreeing with you re: impartiality, just saying that going at the journo himself (who would be on a directive from his editor on what to write and how to write it) is the wrong target. If you think the article itself is crap then by all means go to him, but if your problem is that it's too Sydney-focused then that's more for the SMH themselves.

It's a two team state that is obsessed with rugby and soccer - of course AFL articles written for their paper are going to be Swans/Giants focused. That's just basic consumer logic.

That's fine, but why don't you send such feedback to the SMH directly? Twitter: @SMHsport

I'm not disagreeing with you re: impartiality, just saying that going at the journo himself (who would be on a directive from his editor on what to write and how to write it) is the wrong target. If you think the article itself is crap then by all means go to him, but if your problem is that it's too Sydney-focused then that's more for the SMH themselves.

It's a two team state that is obsessed with rugby and soccer - of course AFL articles written for their paper are going to be Swans/Giants focused. That's just basic consumer logic.

Not if most of your consumers support the opposition.......I wonder how many "clicks" the article got in NSW vs VIC. Pretty sure I can guess the answer. Anyway, enough of this conversation, it is sapping my will to live.

Why does it 'deserve a spray'? That sort of language is ridiculous.
No matter what you write, someone isn't going to like it.

It was a crap article and if he leaves his twitter handle then he's opening himself up for feedback. Stop being so precious about this.

Sent from my waffle machine using Tapatalk.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back