NMFC - Overachievers of 2014?

Remove this Banner Ad

I flicked the car radio over from SEN to 3AW at midday, hoping to hear something worth listening to on our game re us as I hadn't heard or read a thing due to being in Sydney overnight. When they turned their discussion to us the first line came from Mike Sheehan, and it went "North don't have a single A Grader. The AA squad and final team vindicated my opinion too." A couple of names were thrown at him as possible A Graders. "Nup" was his answer to each. I heard him post our two recent finals wins and he was verbally fornicating over us each time.

I switched the radio off.

It reminded me why I should avoid popular mainstream talkback radio sports shows on channels like that.

F*** off Mike!
So if we add an "A" grader to our squad will we automatically be a contender? That has worked well for the * hasn't it? FFS we made a prelim final with a side that the forward line didn't function all year, our main outside player missed the majority of it and we played a school kid... We have F'N succeeded... Now some COLA would be nice ;-)

what does the Brisbane result have to do with where we finished in the finals?
Didn't realise that is what you meant. I wasn't serious about the Brisbane result hence :drunk:. Some on here seem to think bad losses during the year invalidate the rest of it.

Nothing lazier than the "overachiever" tag. It allows the pundit to get away without any meaningful analysis of the team.

Our record vindicates our spot on the ladder. Ignore us at your peril, we are coming.

Last edited:
We didn't overachieve. And no one else did. You get what you get and it's usually what you deserve. We deserved to finish 6th, we deserved to beat Essendon and Geelong and we deserved to get pantsed in the PF.

And this "no AA, no A graders" stuff gets on my ****. One team gets praised for being "so even, no passengers, everyone plays their role, someone always bobs up, can't cover them all" and then the same guy will say moments later of another team "can't do anything until they get some A graders." Since when was being AA the be all and end all of being a decent player? I watched Luke Parker the other night and thought he was OK for a non-AA. And some bloke's arbitrary judgment of who is an "A grader" (whatever that is) is the be all and end all is it? Why don't they just ask such luminaries as Jon Ralph, Slobbo, Cowro, FatPrick etc who the A-graders are, add them up in March and forget about this playing the game nonsense?

North achieved 4th. 4th is good but not good enough. North achieved good but not good enough.

I tend to agree.

We dont have enough campaigner in the team for mine. Spitta gets slammed by Murdoch(?) or sum other Cat ****** and no retaliation. Luke gets thrown into the media box people/chairs in the prelim, no retaliation. It happened all season long. Turner has opened my eyes to just how soft this team can be. He has natural campaigner in him and will not take a backward step. He would front up to Mumford for a crack if he felt the need or a team mate was scruffed in front of him.

They also dont have the mental fortitude to put their collective foot on the throat of a team. Its always get a lead, give it up or come from behind. When we will see a whole team performance that goes in for the kill on a good side and actually nails them to the wall? When we do that, it will signify a pretty big change for mine.
On the night we did many things that pissed me off. But when no one came over to give a fair dinkum remonstration after LMac was thrown over boundary I was furious. If it was another player LMac would have been there in a heartbeat. We need more c***. Not manufactured c***. Real c***.

Still not mentally tough enough IMO.
I think we played better footy in 2013 at times.

There still seems to be something missing with this group.. Can't put my finger on it . We just don't look slick enough at times.

Have to be happy with the year considering we finished 6th

We need a big tough and fast gorilla defender and an equally big tough strong marking Centre Half Forward. As do just about every other club.

Impossible to achieve but wouldn't a Roughy look good in our colours? Without him yesterday, the Hawks would have comfortably lost the game,

We didn't overachieve. And no one else did. You get what you get and it's usually what you deserve. We deserved to finish 6th, we deserved to beat Essendon and Geelong and we deserved to get pantsed in the PF.

And this "no AA, no A graders" stuff gets on my ****. One team gets praised for being "so even, no passengers, everyone plays their role, someone always bobs up, can't cover them all" and then the same guy will say moments later of another team "can't do anything until they get some A graders." Since when was being AA the be all and end all of being a decent player? I watched Luke Parker the other night and thought he was OK for a non-AA. And some bloke's arbitrary judgment of who is an "A grader" (whatever that is) is the be all and end all is it? Why don't they just ask such luminaries as Jon Ralph, Slobbo, Cowro, FatPrick etc who the A-graders are, add them up in March and forget about this playing the game nonsense?

North achieved 4th. 4th is good but not good enough. North achieved good but not good enough.

Ripper post! :thumbsu:

* it, I don't care what we are.

Last year goldie said it was sad to not make the 8 and get a later start on pre season training compared to other teams, so top 8 would be good.

Now he has stated he wants top 4 so they get a rest prior prelim finals.

I'm backing him

liked, but did we not finish 3rd as the higher placed team beat us? what a stupid friggen calculation that is, we move behind port in the draft because we played Sydney and they played Hawthorn.

How much better can Sydney play than they did Friday and how much worse can NM play than they did Friday.

If like me, you believe the answer is very little, then NM, subject to them not resting on their laurels can improve significantly over summer.

And look closely at the numbers.

While the 22 who played for Sydney only had played 203 games more in total than the 22 who played for NM, Sydney only had 4 players who played less than 75 games and Cunningham 30 and Lloyd 20 were the only players less than 42 games and Sydney had 15 players who had played 100 games or more and 8 players who played over 150 games.

NM had 6 players with less 75 games, and Brown 11, McDonald 23 and Turner 6 were the NM players with less than 42 games and NM had 11 players who had played 100 games or more.

So there was a discernable difference in experience.

Then look at the goalscorers. Sydney had a top 6 career goalscorers in their team of Franklin 655 goals,Goodes 437, Tippett 256, McVeigh 172, McGlynn 164 and Jack 118.

Their talls in Franklin, Tippett, Reid and Goodes had scored career goals of about 1,350 goals. NM talls in Brown, Petrie and Black had scored 430 goals ( or 225 less than Buddy had scored in his entire career).
NM had a top 6 career goalscorers in their side of Harvey 458, Petrie 359, Thomas 249, Dal Santo 149, Wells 145 and Swallow 72.

Indeed Sydney also had Lewis Jetta 85 career goals, Kennedy 79 goals and Reid 78 before Swallow's 72 career goals.

Age wise 15 of the sydney players were 25 or over and under and NM had 12 who were 25 and over.

Then factor in playing away in Sydney at a ground where NM had played a fraction of times.

The main thing that will make these blokes better is game time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

liked, but did we not finish 3rd as the higher placed team beat us? what a stupid friggen calculation that is, we move behind port in the draft because we played Sydney and they played Hawthorn.

No. Port Adelaide finished the H&A above us so, as the other losing Prelim Finalist, they finish above us officially and we get the draft pick before them.

I will believe you but not sure that has been the case in the past.

No Mastermind is absolutely right and that is how it always has been. Because we finished below Port at the end of the H&A season, as we both lost, we end up getting the earlier pick.

Had a miracle occurred over the weekend and both ourselves and Port got up, Hawthorn would have had the earlier pick ahead of Sydney.

If we didn't get flogged they would be talking us up for next year
Hawthorn would have lost by 5 goals. Freo by 6-7 goals. Port may have given it a shot.
Every other team would have not faired much better than us on Friday night.
Jacobs and perhaps Black aside I cant fault the boys efforts on the weekend.
Sydney were fresher, slicker, cleaner and punished each and every single turnover we made.
Well be right. Our list doesnt need anything in particular. A fit Hansen would have been wonderful Friday night but alas we went in with what we had.
For once I genuinely dont believe we need to look outside of the draft to progress. Natural growth, Wood, Brown and Black fitter and stronger- well be right.

Hawthorn would have lost by 5 goals. Freo by 6-7 goals. Port may have given it a shot.
Every other team would have not faired much better than us on Friday night.
Jacobs and perhaps Black aside I cant fault the boys efforts on the weekend.
Sydney were fresher, slicker, cleaner and punished each and every single turnover we made.
Well be right. Our list doesnt need anything in particular. A fit Hansen would have been wonderful Friday night but alas we went in with what we had.
For once I genuinely dont believe we need to look outside of the draft to progress. Natural growth, Wood, Brown and Black fitter and stronger- well be right.

Totally agree.

Sometimes you just have to look at the other jumpers and admit they are just too bloody good. There was nothing else we could do. There is a lot of work to do - but I'm confident every stone will be turned to do it and we'll be back. Will we win the flag in 2015? Maybe. Maybe not. But it'll be a lot of fun finding out.

Still not mentally tough enough IMO.
I think we played better footy in 2013 at times.

There still seems to be something missing with this group.. Can't put my finger on it . We just don't look slick enough at times.

Have to be happy with the year considering we finished 6th

I know exactly what you mean. The current players may all improve 1% next year but it will still leave us short. That is why I think we need to turnover 5-6 players and make some tough calls.

Is it possible we're overanalysing the OP?

On BF? Never.

Anyway, I don't think any side really overachieved this year, but given we missed the finals last year and made the top four this year, that's overachieving on media street. Every other club either stayed put, dropped off or naturally developed from 2013.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back