No.17...The next Dynasty

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
The way I see it; 2009-2016 is our premiership window.

PROS-
-->Youngest List in the League; but not only young; they're talented with heaps of potential
-->Bryce Gibbs. In 2 years he'll be better than Cooney is now. Our midfield will clearly be the best
-->Geelong will be in decline
-->Draft concessions mean that teams who haven't got the talent now won't for an extended period
-->Potential BEST Ruck Duo: K+H, with Cloke for depth

CONS-
-->Freakin Hawthorn are one of the youngest as well; and although our mids will be better than them by that time. Franklin+Roughead Combo is still young and most likely will improve from their ridiculous talent now.

In Conclusion? The next 8 years (After 08) will net 8 premierships; shared mostly by Carlton and the Hawks. I hope we get more than they.

Please add any Pros and Cons you can think of. (I'll add to the list)

Gozz

All Australian
Dec 9, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Blackwood FC and Sturt FC
Pros:
I like your idea of the future.

Cons:
Very unlikely to pan out that Carlton and Hawthorn will dominate for those eight years, reason being that teams just can't dominate for extended periods like that. The AFL just doesn't allow it work that way.

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Pros:
I like your idea of the future.

Cons:
Very unlikely to pan out that Carlton and Hawthorn will dominate for those eight years, reason being that teams just can't dominate for extended periods like that. The AFL just doesn't allow it work that way.

Usually in this modern day you are spot on; but I'm just thinking that the massive draft handicaps on the existing 16 teams will mean surges from teams (that would normally get the talent we have spent the last 3 years doing) won't happen; potentially prolonging our time at the top.

Nov 12, 2006
Subiaco, Perth WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco FC
I don't know about best midfield, one of the slowest for sure but I don't know about the best.

Similar to the saints midfield in 04/05, best 3 or 4 are bloody good but the talent drops quickly.

Simply can't make predictions this early, look at the Coasters/Swans/Cats in 2001

who would have thought they would be winning premierships within 4 seasons

CrippsonBlue

Cancelled
Apr 7, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
In those years, hopefully we can get 1 premiership, 2 if we're lucky.

You views aren't bad, but very biased and short-sighted. It won't just be Hawks; West Coast, Richmond, Collingwood, Geelong, Essendon, will all at some stage cause problems in winning a premiership. Then theres always a suprise or two from the other lot, and Melbourne might be a hurdle in the latter years. Plus who knows what will happen with another team in the comp.

Certainly won't be shared by us and Hawks. All those teams listed are just as likely as us in the next 8 years to win a premiership, so I'm just hoping for one.

jgb99

Club Legend
May 21, 2008
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Unless Carlton can play finals this year (which is unlikely) the window won't open in 2009. Most likely 2011, after two consecutive finals appearances (2009, 2010), maybe 2010 with a good finish to this year (finals or 9th/10th finish) + a good finals series (at least 1 win) in 2009. I don't think Carlton and Hawthorn will be the sole contendors then, I suspect they'll be plenty of others with the ability to push the bracket then (i.e. Port, Brisbane, Adelaide, WC, Sydney etc. all have the ability to be in contention then if not in a better position than Carlton with more finals experience).

rabbit43

Debutant
Mar 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
I don't think in the modern era anyone's window stays open for 8 years. I'd probably take a stab at 4 at the most. Major issue: not everyones form peaks at the same time.

bomba4eva

Cancelled
Nov 16, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
Carlton's premiership window will probably open around 2011-12. By that stage, most of the group should be pushing up to 100 games and primed for a tilt at the flag. Interesting to see how the development of your 3 no. 1 picks goes. Murphy looks like he will be a top line player already. Kruezer has had a solid start to his career without being brilliant. Gibbs has been ok and should only get better over the next few years. The likes of Stevens, Scotland and Fevola will be close to the end of their careers if not already finished. Expect Essendon to be challengers around the same time as Carlton.

Tambling?

Speed isn't everything HBF...and besides we've got Bentick and Stevens:D

I know that speed isn't everything, but our midfield isn't that quick at all. I would like to get someone who has elite speed, to compliment the guys we already have in there.

Shambolic

Club Legend
May 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I think windows are getting smaller and we need to focus on 2011-2013 by recruiting another forward with some presence if we are to have any chance. by then Hampson and Kreuzer will hopefully be ready for controlling the ruck, but if one of them fails without replacement we will struggle.

Bulldog Joe

Premiership Player
May 23, 2008
Tasmania
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The way I see it; 2009-2016 is our premiership window.

PROS-
-->Youngest List in the League; but not only young; they're talented with heaps of potential
-->Bryce Gibbs. In 2 years he'll be better than Cooney is now. Our midfield will clearly be the best
-->Geelong will be in decline
-->Draft concessions mean that teams who haven't got the talent now won't for an extended period
-->Potential BEST Ruck Duo: K+H, with Cloke for depth

In Conclusion? The next 8 years (After 08) will net 8 premierships; shared mostly by Carlton and the Hawks. I hope we get more than they.

Please add any Pros and Cons you can think of. (I'll add to the list)
Isn't it wonderful to dream and Carlton's recruiting is so good they will all turn out champions. Should have tanked one more year and got Nantanui who Carlton even rate ahead of Kreuzer.
Seriously there are a whole range of things that can go right or wrong. Gibbs needs to prove himself, Fev is closer to the finish than the start and other teams might pick up a smoky or a rookie or two who become absolute stars.
Every supporter of every team shares a dream that they can be premiers SOON.
Enjoy the moment watch them develop. Life like football teams is a journey for the lifetime of a true believer.

Carlton supporters have found religion with Judd the Messiah. Who can blame them after the years of Pagan Wilderness.

Back