Society/Culture 'No Gender December'

SpuriousPea

Senior List
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
On Tuesday, Greens spokeswoman for women, Larissa Waters, called on gift-giving adults to think about how toys are marketed to children over the festive season.

1417498321289.jpg

Greens Senator Larissa Waters.

While Senator Waters said the "starkly separate aisles of pink and blue" might seem harmless, but "setting such strong gender stereotypes at early ages can have long-term impacts, including [on] self-perception and career aspirations."

Senator Waters said that "outdated stereotypes" about girls and boys perpetuate gender inequality, "which feeds into very serious problems such as domestic violence and the gender pay gap".

link

Talk about first world problems...

Anyway, it seems to be working well for Sweden.

1417010206090.jpg

graph.py

Dec 1, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Sweden has a far wider definition of rape than the rest of the world. Also where otherwise someone may be raped multiple times and have that be counted in the statistics once, in Sweden they count each instance. There's also been an effort made to ensure sexual violence cases are reported. Sweden's generally placed as the leading country in the world when it comes to gender equality.

Let's use statistics to support facts, not distort them.

little graham

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
We have ourselves a wolf in sheeps clothing.The wolf is turning on the sheep.

This is feminist ideology. i was hoping it had something to do with halting rampant consumerism and the targeting of children. But no, its all about stopping boys becoming men.

What a load of PC crap. Larissa Waters can sack my cook.
utensil sacked.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_juqB-R1zC4c/S_ZqjAZR1DI/AAAAAAAADtE/HEtRKZ1f-Bk/s1600/utensil-fighting-east-timor.jpg

I think pointing out at this juncture that Larissa is a bit a of a horn bag would be gratuitous and misogynistic....but....
if someone has a point to get across it has to be an advantage not to make your audiences eyes bleed...like some others you could, but for PC reasons would not name Bron.
Just sayin'.

fleabitten

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 16, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Portland Trailblazers
I actually don't mind what she says. Encourage girls to play with toy trucks and boys to play with toy kitchens if the kid is into that. There's no reason to always promote certain toys as for boys and others for girls. She had to go and spoil it by bringing up the gender pay gap, but I don't see what's wrong with her basic point (as far as i could tell what that is from the OP).

SpuriousPea

Senior List
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Thinking I'm actually trying to correlate non-gendered toy advertisement with rape.

Jesus christ, the density of this board sometimes...

kfc1

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 27, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Waters makes a valid point, although it is lost in either terrible reporting or verbal diarrhea

RisingPhoenix

Club Legend
Dec 20, 2010
Great Southern
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
NAFC, SDFC, MUFC.
On Tuesday, Greens spokeswoman for women, Larissa Waters, called on gift-giving adults to think about how toys are marketed to children over the festive season.

1417498321289.jpg

Greens Senator Larissa Waters.

While Senator Waters said the "starkly separate aisles of pink and blue" might seem harmless, but "setting such strong gender stereotypes at early ages can have long-term impacts, including [on] self-perception and career aspirations."

Senator Waters said that "outdated stereotypes" about girls and boys perpetuate gender inequality, "which feeds into very serious problems such as domestic violence and the gender pay gap".

link

Talk about first world problems...

Anyway, it seems to be working well for Sweden.

1417010206090.jpg

graph.py

What a load of ******* s**t.

This is why I hate the Greens.

Poor Bob Brown having to watch his party become this manhating rabble.

CLUBMEDhurst

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2008
Under the moonlight, the serious moonlight
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man City
It's no different to under Brown. Brown just had a great media presence, where he could be saying the most idiotic thing and it'd sound reasonable (until you actually stopped to think about it).

Unfortunately you couldn't say the same about thge other senator mentioned in the article (who says far more idiotic tosh than Bob could ever muster).

I don't understand this question?

She talks about aisles being pink and others blue, but her issue is with the toys in them not the colour. She is happy for colour to have gender but not toys. It felt to me like very targeted focus at the exclusion of all else.

I'm wearing blue underwear today, it's not gender specific.

RisingPhoenix

Club Legend
Dec 20, 2010
Great Southern
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
NAFC, SDFC, MUFC.
My daughter's gettin' cricket gear and a footy for christmas. Auskick and MiloCricket all the way, WoooHoooo!!!

Amongst other things, my daughter is getting a ninja turtle...and the hulk....and shock horror....a barbie princess hairdressing set.

What a terrible father I am.

Back