No NRL Expansion as NRL sign new TV deal

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah but you can't promise possible expansion sometime in the next TV Rights cycle if you hope to get the Foxtel to offer the upper end of what you want them bid after taking away their two exclusive timeslots/days and given them the games Channel 9 don't want.

For expansion to work in a TV Rights context the process has to have began and the two new teams and their locations already selected by now and that's not even close

For expansion to work in a TV Rights context the process has to have began and the two new teams and their locations already selected by now and that's not even close

Do we know that for sure?

NRL could be waiting until the end of the year for any announcement for all we know.

Unlikely I know, but still. Half these bids have been around for nearly 10 years.

I believe there was something in the announcement with Channel 9 that allowed for expansion in 2018... so there's the possibility that that "allowing for expansion" means that's one of the main bargaining chips with Fox Sports... assuming I guess that Murdoch is also willing to help fund the teams.

You'd need to do that deal pretty soon, and 2 years is ample time to set up Perth and Brisbane 2 I reckon - especially Perth, cos they've got a structure already.

Here's hoping the NRL's turn down of Fox is permanent. Austar/Foxtel was/has been a scourge - and Telstra - on Australian society. Anybody who still has archaic Foxtel is simply delusional. I got rid of it over a decade ago. I never could justify paying back then $45 on that something that promised no ads. Pure lies becasue that's all it shows in bewteen programs.
Now you get less but pay more. The NRL know there are better options so will wait and consider its options. If it does resign with Fox, that will only be after Fox pays through the nose for it. As they should. but this time without the controlling influence of the past.
Ballsy move by the NRL and Smith. Gotta give em credit.

Here's hoping the NRL's turn down of Fox is permanent. Austar/Foxtel was/has been a scourge - and Telstra - on Australian society. Anybody who still has archaic Foxtel is simply delusional. I got rid of it over a decade ago. I never could justify paying back then $45 on that something that promised no ads. Pure lies becasue that's all it shows in bewteen programs.
Now you get less but pay more. The NRL know there are better options so will wait and consider its options. If it does resign with Fox, that will only be after Fox pays through the nose for it. As they should. but this time without the controlling influence of the past.
Ballsy move by the NRL and Smith. Gotta give em credit.

Please explain what better options there are??? This has been proven to be not the case.
Please explain why Foxtel have to pay though the nose if they bid again??? Who are they bidding against.

If you want to post opinion as fact, please include some facts

The NRL cannot afford to have only four our of eight games on FTA with the rest either not being broadcast, or being streamed on a service not everyone wants to use. I know that also applies to Foxtel but more people would rather Foxtel than online streaming.

Please explain what better options there are??? This has been proven to be not the case.
Please explain why Foxtel have to pay though the nose if they bid again??? Who are they bidding against.

If you want to post opinion as fact, please include some facts

A better option is not having FOX/Foxtel/newscorp/News ltd have control of the game like they have. That's now taken away from them hence Ruperts annoyance and anger. Too bad. They want it back, Smith will make sure they pay its worth.
There's a couple years of waiting should the NRL choose to wait. Foxtel is archaic and on the way out and the NRL know that hence its talks with Google etc. Other options, streaming etc will be the future and Smith will explore those options.

The AFL sold its soul to the devil. The NRL bought it back to the fans.

Anybody who still has archaic Foxtel is simply delusional. I got rid of it over a decade ago. I never could justify paying back then $45 on that something that promised no ads.
Right, so because you don't like something, everyone else is delusional? Your 'holier than thou' attitude is laughable.

I for one don't really have a problem with $60 a month for 6 months of a year (down to $25 a month for the rest of the year) for every AFL game LIVE in HD. Fair enough, it's not a 'good deal', but for every game live + live talk shows like 360, Bounce, On The Coach, League Teams, Open Mike, etc + the national draft + preseason games - pretty good coverage.

$15 a week for all of that is cheaper than one night at the pub watching just your team, once a week. You're paying $1.60 per game.

Plus, if you're only getting Foxtel for the AFL you get all the random other s**t included with the 'starter package' - 24/7 new channels, Nat Geo, and Discovery (among others). As well as a s**t-tonne of other sports; every Super Rugby game live, every EPL game live, live rugby league, live MLB, NBA, NFL, and NHL. Plus exclusive coverage of 'world cup' events like the RWC and CWC.

Call me delusional.

A better option is not having FOX/Foxtel/newscorp/News ltd have control of the game like they have. That's now taken away from them hence Ruperts annoyance and anger. Too bad. They want it back, Smith will make sure they pay its worth.
There's a couple years of waiting should the NRL choose to wait. Foxtel is archaic and on the way out and the NRL know that hence its talks with Google etc. Other options, streaming etc will be the future and Smith will explore those options.

The AFL sold its soul to the devil. The NRL bought it back to the fans.

You do know there is no money in streaming anytime soon?

Netflix aren't interested in bidding for Sports Rights until 2022 and they don't have the customer base to cover the costs of buying the rights and then producing matches. You Tube (which is Google) only sub-licence Rights deal (such as Bundesliga coverage in New Zealand). Stan is Channel 9 who already have rights, why are they buying more and then there is Presto who are owned by.....who is that again...oh yeah News Limited, 7 and 10. None of your dream streaming options are going to bring you money and if the NRL does it themselves it will cost them money.

Your basically hoping for the NRL to give away their rights, to please yourself not improve the game. Yep real smart move that.

You do know there is no money in streaming anytime soon?

Netflix aren't interested in bidding for Sports Rights until 2022 and they don't have the customer base to cover the costs of buying the rights and then producing matches. You Tube (which is Google) only sub-licence Rights deal (such as Bundesliga coverage in New Zealand).

Your basically hoping for the NRL to give away their rights. Yep real smart move that.

They won't give it away, but they won't give it away just for cash to make a press conference look good too.

They won't give it away, but they won't give it away just for cash to make a press conference look good too.

So has the money to buy it that isn't News Limited?? Google, Netflix, Stan and Presto aren't going to buy it other than at a price to cover their production costs so please if News Limited don't buy it who will?

I think it'll be closer to 1.5 than 1.8, depending on what we're including in that amount (are we including NZ and Pacific region in that?)

I think in 2-3 years we might look at streaming as one of the biggest mistakes that the NRL made in this deal.

I don't think 9's streaming is necessarily exclusive - but I've read elsewhere (although not from a great source) that the money that Fox Sports would have to give 9 to simulcast their 4 games doesn't necessarily include streaming rights. They may come over and above that $120m.

the deal should not be looked at for this deal but the next one. the NRL has taken a lot of control back of the game. which in itself is a monumental achievement. this breaks 9's control over the game. the streaming rights are also about the next deal by breaking up the streaming rights it means they have a better understanding of how much they are worth.

also 9 does not have exclusive rights to their 9 games they have exclusive FTA rights. any simulcast rights on radio and pay tv come directly from the NRL, the trade off was to give nine streaming rights. Olsen explained it in detail on radio, but it was quickly ignored for the chicken little narrative.

Basically in the past 9 owned "the production" of each game, Now the NRL owns "the production" and 9 by for a contract to air it. that's how far back the NRL was coming from. in the past the NRL had to pay nine for any promotional material using footage from 9's games.

So has the money to buy it that isn't News Limited?? Google, Netflix, Stan and Presto aren't going to buy it other than at a price to cover their production costs so please if News Limited don't buy it who will?

Wait and see I guess. Even if Fox do get to show NRL games, the days of them being a 'controlling influence' are gone which was the NRL's plan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So 9 have paid $925M for 5 years of the four best games of the round, Origin (which Smith said he expected to sell for $500M), internationals and finals.
If 9 don't want to broadcast a match, they have the option to sell that match to 7 or 10 for whatever they like. Where does the profit from that sale go ? Not to the NRL of course. Nice work there Dave.
Does Dave really expect Fox to pay through the nose for the dubious honour of broadcasting the four worst matches each round ?
Nobody can argue that Fox need to have NRL in their stable, but Murdoch, love him or hate him, is shrewd.He knows that the NRL want lots of money but he also knows Fox is the only viable broadcaster left to ensure every NRL match is shown.And he's not about to be held to ransom by Smith & co. when all he's going to get are the dregs.
I personally would be surprised if Fox part with more than $500M, if that's all they are going to get.

I guess, into the bargain, it's interesting to note that only Wests, Dragons, Newcastle and Gold Coast (all financially propped up by the NRL) have agreed to participate in the NRL beyond 2017.
The other 12 have held back pending the fine print of the TV deal and where the money will go.
Just hope we don't have Super League again.

Expect Gold Coast to either fold or merge, and something to happen to the Tigers.
Ipswich deserves a team, but would the NRL really let the Titans fold and gift the entire GC region to the Suns?

I care very little about the Titans, but I love the Gold Coast as a city, and the city deserves a team in each of the premier football leagues.

The more I think about it it. Foxtel would have to pay up a significant amount for the rights. It's alright banging on about the AFL taking over. But we all know that's not going to happen, regardless of all the PR BS. Foxtel don't have an alternative RL competition to broadcast. What will they screen as an alternative to the NRL and keep their audience, 400 V8 Supercar races?

The more I think about it it. Foxtel would have to pay up a significant amount for the rights. It's alright banging on about the AFL taking over. But we all know that's not going to happen, regardless of all the PR BS. Foxtel don't have an alternative RL competition to broadcast. What will they screen as an alternative to the NRL and keep their audience, 400 V8 Supercar races?

It is intriguing that we keep reading that only 2 clubs have committed to the competition behind 2017.

Murdoch does have form taking advantage of such situations...

Why is it intriguing?

You don't think more than 2 teams would have committed to the competition long term if they were completely on the same page as the NRL and the ARLC?

And you don't think Murdoch would have another crack at rugby league given the way they froze him out of the initial tv negotiations?

Of course I hope it doesn't happen - but you couldn't rule it out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back