No NRL Expansion as NRL sign new TV deal

Apr 7, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Coney Island, GWS, The Exers!
I guess, into the bargain, it's interesting to note that only Wests, Dragons, Newcastle and Gold Coast (all financially propped up by the NRL) have agreed to participate in the NRL beyond 2017.
The other 12 have held back pending the fine print of the TV deal and where the money will go.
Just hope we don't have Super League again.

there will be no super league war mk2 the holding back has little to do with the tv deal instead with how juniors are controlled.
the clubs with * all juniors keep pushing for a draft while the clubs currently developing all the juniors want better compensation for the money and time they invest, with many clubs having to pay through the teeth just to prevent the clubs that do * all to develop new talent into the league from poaching them like a pack of leeches.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
there will be no super league war mk2 the holding back has little to do with the tv deal instead with how juniors are controlled.
the clubs with **** all juniors keep pushing for a draft while the clubs currently developing all the juniors want better compensation for the money and time they invest, with many clubs having to pay through the teeth just to prevent the clubs that do **** all to develop new talent into the league from poaching them like a pack of leeches.

And as a Raiders fan, I say * Parramatta and the Roosters for doing what you've talked about!

Apr 7, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
And as a Raiders fan, I say **** Parramatta and the Roosters for doing what you've talked about!

the thing that pissed me off the most was wayne bennett and his attitude when he was at the dragons.
campaigner tried to have them shut down the juniors for "commercial reasons" saying they should "let someone else do the heavy lifting"

because you know QRL always made sure the broncos have a fresh supply of new blood with * all effort so it works for everyone right?

emuboy

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
I think that Rugby League should consider biting the bullet and going to 20 teams, including the Brisbane Bombers, Central Coast Bears (North Sydney), Perth Pirates and Adelaide Rams so that they can tap further into two large existing markets of Brisbane and the NSW Central Coast, and two markets that have been without an NRL presence since the late 1990s. Plus games in Perth and Adelaide gives games in different timeslots.

The fixtures could be worked to take advantage of rivalry so that teams play a 22-match season, reducing wear and tear on players when finals, Origin and international games are taken into consideration, with teams to play each other twice grouped geographically as follows:

South-East Sydney - Sydney Roosters, South Sydney, Cronulla, St George-Illawarra
Western Sydney - Wests Tigers, Canterbury, Parramatta, Penrith
Northern Sydney/NSW - Manly, Central Coast, Newcastle, Canberra
Queensland - Brisbane Broncos, Brisbane Bombers, Gold Coast, North Queensland
Interstate - Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, New Zealand

Teams would play two teams from the other groups at home and two away, with this inversed the following season.

For example, Perth would play two games against Adelaide, Melbourne and New Zealand each season, one at home and one away. Their home games would be against Sydney Roosters, Cronulla, Wests Tigers, Parramatta, Central Coast, Canberra, Brisbane Bombers and North Queensland; playing South Sydney, St George-Illawarra, Canterbury, Penrith, Manly, Newcastle, Brisbane Broncos and Gold Coast away. The next season would again see two games each for the Pirates against the Rams, Storm and Warriors, with Perth playing South Sydney, St George-Illawarra, Canterbury, Penrith, Manly, Newcastle, Brisbane Broncos and Gold Coast at home, with the team playing away to the Sydney Roosters, Cronulla, Wests Tigers, Parramatta, Central Coast, Canberra, Brisbane Bombers and North Queensland.

Smashwood

All Australian
Apr 19, 2014
THE GREATEST TEAM OF ALL
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WE ARE GEELONG
I think that Rugby League should consider biting the bullet and going to 20 teams,.

image.jpg

Hap Hapablap

I'm off to Nepal to become a mountain goat.
Jun 27, 2006
Where the cows go bong.
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers,Internazionale, Man U
nrl cant sustain a 20 team competition. the idea of constantly consolidating in their existing markets just destroys the supporters bases. imagine adding another afl team in melbourne

unfortunately for the nrl some serious decisions will have to be made in the near future over the struggling clubs.

Apr 7, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
nrl cant sustain a 20 team competition. the idea of constantly consolidating in their existing markets just destroys the supporters bases. imagine adding another afl team in melbourne

unfortunately for the nrl some serious decisions will have to be made in the near future over the struggling clubs.

this is largely a myth, the vast majority of NRL clubs are sustainable. they don't make anywhere near the profits of the AFL teams because they actually run the clubs on a not for profit basis.

this is the following list of clubs that made a loss in the NRL in 13/14 tax year (prior to league injections)

sharks $1 mill (due to legal costs forecast profits this year)
cowboys $100K (and they don't have a leagues club grant)
Knights $1.5 currently under going financial restructuring expecting much greater returns this year, but still likely to fall short.
Storm unknown rumoured small loss
Warriors unknown rumoured small loss

in fact only two clubs are basket cases:
Tigers piss poor buisness model which has seen the them piss away money time and time again, they have the cash they just spend it poorly
Titans run poorly for years there ground rental agreement was 3 times that of over clubs a lot of s**t to sort out.

and only club is unsustainable
Dragons, whilst the titans may join this list one hopes the league can turn them around but the dragons? there making no money at all from here leagues club, gate takings and F&B sales don't cover ground costs there's nothing you can point with any hope. Moving to the SFS might turn it around but i don't think the supporters are willing to do it. things are dire.

when people make statements like only one NRL club is profitable (the rabbits BTW) they are technically correct.
But what they are talking about is the money the club itself makes, in other words only footy revenue such as Sponsorship, merch sales, memberships gate takings and F&B.

the money issue comes about because NRL clubs have to separate there footy operations from non football assets because of NSW tax situation
which is why the swans short lived pokie den model failed, because even before the poker machine tax was introduced the moment you have one pokie all your revenue is taxable, hence footy clubs and the leagues clubs become separate "legal entities" for tax reasons and present a before tax "grant" to the clubs so the club keeps their non profit status, Its the same with locals and junior clubs the actual leagues club provide's "grants" to their teams)
Obviously clubs outside of NSW don't have to do this. But many do anyway, only the privately owned clubs don't because they don't release their balance sheet in the first place.

So yes the panthers model see's them only breaking even. But that's from footy based revenue. The panthers group made $18 million dollars in profit last year.

could you imagine applying the same logic to the AFL? separate pokie revenue from footy revenue and how many clubs are truly profitable?
this is why i hate NRL jurnos most are about half as smart as punch drunk prop and have neither the time or ability to actually explain the economic situation even at a basic level and would rather shout DOOM and GLOOM for the headlines.

bigpoppa

Debutant
Nov 7, 2011
AFL Club
Sydney
Brisbane Broncos
North Queensland
Gold Coast
Newcastle
Canberra
Auckland
Melbourne

Wests Tigers/Magpies(Balmain contribute nothing anymore)
Parramatta
Penrith
Easts
Souths
Canterbury
St.George-Illawarra

Manly (play half games at Brookvale half on the central coast)
Southern Sharks (Cronulla relocate to Wellington/South NZ)

Then bring in:
Brisbane 2(Brothers/Ipswich-Logan bid)
West Coast Pirates

Talking Sydney teams need to look at the NSW governments plans for Stadiums aswell with the government wanting to allocate money into 4 stadiums in rebuilding SFS and Parramatta while redeveloping a Western Sydney Stadium and ANZ.
Penrith - new/Redeveloped West Sydney Stadium
Parramatta - Redeveloped Parramatta Stadium/ANZ STadium
Wests - Redeveloped Parramatta Stadium/ANZ Stadium
Canterbury - Redeveloped Parramatta Stadium/ANZ Stadium

St.George-Illawarra - New SFS/WIN Stadium
Easts - New SFS
Souths - New SFS

Leaving Cronulla and Manly with no/poor public transport, little juniors and corralled into an area either side of Sydney with little room to grow.
Manly has perfect oppurtunity to grow being the only team between Sydney and Newcastle, its just ashame theyre in Manly and not North SYdney.
The sooner the NRL gets a team in NZ the better I think. Convert the Rugby boys over, especially with the national teams dominance of late.

Apr 7, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
the new western Sydney oval won't be used, word is its going to end up in wetheril park.

great for me to get to but unless there's something i'm missing.
parra will say * off, there getting a brand new stadium.
penrith will not abandoned penrith to play 20k's away. not when the clubs invested soo much into our current stadium opposite the leagues club and with the local council eating out of their hand.
wests still think they are balmain and treat the west like a cancerous growth.
and the last time the bulldogs were involved in a new ground a council was sacked and the construction company involved was used to fund illegal payments to players and its ceo later convicted of embezzlement............ the ground wasn't even built BTW.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Portsmouth
the new western Sydney won't be used, word is its going to end up in wetheril park.

parra will say **** off, there getting a brand new stadium.
penrith will not abandoned penrith to play 20k's away. not when the clubs invested soo much into our current stadium opposite the leagues club.
and the last time the bulldogs were involved in a new ground it wasn't built a council was sacked and the construction company involved was used to fund illegal payments to players and its ceo later convicted of embezzlement............ the ground wasn't even built BTW.

Wests are controlled more by Western Suburbs than Balmain, who are broke anyway. I'm half expecting to see the Magpies name return in the next year or so.

Apr 7, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wests are controlled more by Western Suburbs than Balmain, who are broke anyway. I'm half expecting to see the Magpies name return in the next year or so.

guess we have two very different takes on how the cluster * has occurred. the club for example has never not paid leichhardt council owed ground fees nor has it ever pressured leichhardt into having them not only forget the debt but also demand $10,000 grant to ensure it can "continue to show there support for the region." it never demanded the NRL step in pay balmains fees despite them being 3x higher.

a large reason the clubs in its current woefully state is catering to balmain as it upped ground rents time and time again. putting some of the best games on at leichhardt whilst giving scraps to campbelltown. They even redirected club grants from lemieh to the roselle leagues club, hurting the footy club as they were supposed to use that themselves, Doing nothing to arrest the mismanagement in balmain as it went into ever further debt before being bought by balmains foverite son ben elias for a dollar, set to be flogged off for cool $70 million, with the club never to see a cent. The club has been a leech on western suburbs from the day the merger occurred and has been riddled with the bullying pratices and corruption that plagued balmain in first place.

the clubs every action has been in complete opposition to one that's controlled by western suburbs. there's even talking about moving there HQ back to rozelle despite having no clue what the rent would be, in a time when there in massive debt. not mention the "outrage" when they moved as far into the south west as concord in the first place.

Nov 20, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Portsmouth
Don't worry, I do know a fair bit about what has happened from Wests supporters. I mean, the last remnants of Western Suburbs Magpies are now further down in either the SG Ball or Harold Matthews cup as the NSW cup side is now Wests Tigers as well. Balmain really should of merged with Canterbury and Magpies with Newtown. But that's another story.

Haven't read the thread in full, but the next expansion teams surely would have to be

- Perth (West Coast Pirates) - Good for TV, currently biggest city in Aus without a team, get decent crowds when NRL is there
- Ipswich - I've worked a lot there over the past year or so and know it's pure League heartland, a new NRL team or a promoted Ipswich Jets would become popular immediately, just like WSW in the A-League. IMO it would be a much more successful venture than a Brisbane II. However IMO if this team eventuates they should play their home games at a redeveloped North Ipswich Reserve and not Suncorp Stadium.

Apr 7, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Haven't read the thread in full, but the next expansion teams surely would have to be

- Perth (West Coast Pirates) - Good for TV, currently biggest city in Aus without a team, get decent crowds when NRL is there
- Ipswich - I've worked a lot there over the past year or so and know it's pure League heartland, a new NRL team or a promoted Ipswich Jets would become popular immediately, just like WSW in the A-League. IMO it would be a much more successful venture than a Brisbane II. However IMO if this team eventuates they should play their home games at a redeveloped North Ipswich Reserve and not Suncorp Stadium.

the league has signalled the death kneel of any teams on the cities fringes as it moves to an AFL style combined stadium deal in NSW and putting pressure on Qld to redevelop suncorp with they want a piece of the showcase events. If ipswich got in they would demand the team play at suncorp.

for my mind the leagues long term strategy should be 20 teams.

perth
QLD #4
Melbourne #2
NZ #2

allows the league to have a 25 round season and head into a divisional set up that the leagues geographic rivalries thrive on.
making it much easier to add teams in the future

North division
Cowboys
Broncos
Gold coast
Qld 4
Newcastle

East division
Souths
Manly
Roosters
St George
Sharks

West division
Penrith
Parramatta
Wests
Perth
Canterbury

South division
Canberra
Storm
Melbourne 2
warriors
NZ 2

15 games against non divisional opponents
2 byes
8 games against divisional opponents

4 division winners become "the top 4" based on overall ladder position.
4 wild cards based on overall ladder position.

the only one that doesn't really fit is newy but * them and qld.

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
League while support is up in general grassroots it's still dead. Only 3-4 current "W.A" players in the game with two comming from New Zealand/Fiji

NRL needs to do more in terms of producing some talent out of W.A. before they just stick a team over here and expect everyone to swap from south Sydney/Warriors

They could do it, But i dont think it's a safe bet or as easy as setting up another queensland/sydney team

the league has signalled the death kneel of any teams on the cities fringes as it moves to an AFL style combined stadium deal in NSW and putting pressure on Qld to redevelop suncorp with they want a piece of the showcase events. If ipswich got in they would demand the team play at suncorp.
Would be a shame, quite a big fan of Shark Park and Penrith Stadium was okay when I went there. Would love the suburban grounds kept for the Sydney teams.

Ideally:
Cowboys - Willow Sports Complex (1300 Smiles Stadium)
Broncos - Lang Park
Ipswich (expansion) - North Ipswich Reserve (redeveloped)
Titans - Robina Stadium
Knights - Hunter Stadium
Manly - Brookvale Oval
Roosters - Sydney Football Stadium
Rabbitohs - Sydney Football Stadium
Dragons - Kogarah & WIN Stadium
Sharks - Shark Park
West Tigers - Campbelltown & Leichardt
Bulldogs - Belmore
Eels - Parramatta Stadium
Panthers - Penrith Stadium
Raiders - Bruce Stadium
Storm - Melbourne Rectangular Stadium
Perth/West Coast (expansion) - Perth Oval (NIB Stadium)
Warriors - Mt Smart Stadium & Eden Park

After Perth and Ipswich next teams maybe:
Central Coast Bears
and either Adelaide, PNG or NZ2

Apr 7, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Would be a shame, quite a big fan of Shark Park and Penrith Stadium was okay when I went there. Would love the suburban grounds kept for the Sydney teams.

Ideally:
Cowboys - Willow Sports Complex (1300 Smiles Stadium)
Broncos - Lang Park
Ipswich (expansion) - North Ipswich Reserve (redeveloped)
Titans - Robina Stadium
Knights - Hunter Stadium
Manly - Brookvale Oval
Roosters - Sydney Football Stadium
Rabbitohs - Sydney Football Stadium
Dragons - Kogarah & WIN Stadium
Sharks - Shark Park
West Tigers - Campbelltown & Leichardt
Bulldogs - Belmore
Eels - Parramatta Stadium
Panthers - Penrith Stadium
Raiders - Bruce Stadium
Storm - Melbourne Rectangular Stadium
Perth/West Coast (expansion) - Perth Oval (NIB Stadium)
Warriors - Mt Smart Stadium & Eden Park

After Perth and Ipswich next teams maybe:
Central Coast Bears
and either Adelaide, PNG or NZ2

shark park will remain the sharks own the ground, Penrith stadium is another matter, we'll hold out for as long as we can but crowds as low as they are, s**t transport and limited parking its inevitable, which sadly means ANZ due the guaranteed returns.

PNG is joke it'll never happen, Adelaide is a pipe dream at this stage i cant see it really working.
central coast wont get a team due to the issues facing the knights and the fact that manly and easts are continual raiding the central coast juniors.
seems the only likely candidate out of that lot is NZ2.

shark park will remain the sharks own the ground, Penrith stadium is another matter, we'll hold out for as long as we can but crowds as low as they are, s**t transport and limited parking its inevitable, which sadly means ANZ due the guaranteed returns.
Penrith Stadium is still fairly close to Penrith train station and Westfield, was there for Panthers v Storm same weekend Lions were playing GWS and I was staying near Central Station. PT was fine for me.

Personally would like ANZ Stadium to become an NRL equiv to Wembley, only used for SoO, Grand Finals and Prelims if the crowds demand it. Going to those Sydney suburban grounds excite me. Hoping next year Lions play the Swans at the SCG same weekend as Broncos playing at Kograh or Brookvale (a suburban ground I haven't been to yet).

PNG is joke it'll never happen, Adelaide is a pipe dream at this stage i cant see it really working.
central coast wont get a team due to the issues facing the knights and the fact that manly and easts are continual raiding the central coast juniors.
seems the only likely candidate out of that lot is NZ2.
In all honesty I can't see Adelaide working either, seems like a big country town (if it wasn't an AFL state it would amaze me that they could support two AFL teams). I think current NRL teams plus Perth and Ipswich is the way to go.

brookies a s**t hole you aint missing anything.
Everyone says that! I want to go there to see why everyone says it is so bad (same with Subiaco)

bigpoppa

Debutant
Nov 7, 2011
AFL Club
Sydney
the new western Sydney oval won't be used, word is its going to end up in wetheril park.

parra will say **** off, there getting a brand new stadium.
penrith will not abandoned penrith to play 20k's away. not when the clubs invested soo much into our current stadium opposite the leagues club and with the local council eating out of their hand.
and the last time the bulldogs were involved in a new ground a council was sacked and the construction company involved was used to fund illegal payments to players and its ceo later convicted of embezzlement............ the ground wasn't even built BTW.

I thought I read somewhere that Penrith was owned by the same people who own Parramatta and SFS(can't seem to find it now) so just tried to put 2 and 2 together.
It definitely looks to me as though the NRL/NSW Gov is going for more of an AFL styled ground rationalisation which is why itd make more sense to turn Penrith into a 20,000 all seater similar to what Parramatta is now.
Wetherill Park doesn't really make sense and I cant see a new stadium being built just for Parramatta and WSW. No doubt the government will demand more games be played there. Set it up so smaller games at Parramatta, big matches at ANZ and Bulldogs can have back to Belmore and Wests can have a back to Campbelltown type game aswell.

there's a board meeting planned to discuss the matter in October 1994

Haha I meant second team in Wellington/Christchurch.

Back