MFC Fans Only Non-Dees AFL discussion - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because he was a #1 pick who was bound to improve as he got older and stronger.

Honestly, I can't believe people are questioning this.

Neeld ruined Watts mentally. He told him he wasn't good enough to his face, he used him as a scapegoat for his own failures, he threw him all around the ground and then blamed him for not having a position.

Jack genuinely found it hard to come to work, so much so that football lost all of its appeal, and that's straight from the horse's mouth.

Remember 148? When Watts was 2 on 1 on the wing and Neville Jetta (the dogshit version) booted it to him but he had nowhere to go and nobody presented (we were flooding) and was eventually caught HTB. Watts was dragged and subbed for that.

Honestly, you take away the 4 gimme wins against expansion sides and Neeld won 1/29 games.

That's 3.4% of matches won with a side that had come off 38% in the last two seasons.

It wasn't just Watts either. The only player at a crucial stage of development where they could have gone either way that turned out good was McDonald.

Neeld gave up on Stefan Martin early and also told him that he would never make it.

The guy was out of his depth, and compensated for his own failings for being an utter prick to the playing group who's performance, development and wellbeing he had been trusted to foster.

Petracca's right, good luck to the dude because everyone makes mistakes. But if I hear one more person claiming that Neeld was alright and that it was Bailey's s**t culture/Roos hasn't done any better I will lose it.

Thats probably all true, but He still wasnt solely responsible for the failings of the club
s**t Jade Rawlings is almost the only guy left from that era in any department

The team needed to be stripped back which is what neeld did, except it need some body work and he tore it down to the last screw
He was still probably the worst coach ever at AFL level but he was the face of the worst organisation ever

Neeld aside for a moment, I thought it was pretty strange (bordering on out of line), for Petracca to comment that 'everyone makes mistakes'.

Should he be making that comment?

Seems a little arrogant for a kid to be making that sort of statement about his senior coach at that level.

I don't think there's a single person in the industry who doesn't think Neeld made some mistakes, so... nah, not really.

Just a kid sticking up for his former coach, who he obviously liked. I don't see an issue with it. He hasn't been drafted yet, he should be allowed to act like a regular 17 year old.

I don't think I've got a problem with Petracca or his intent, I just don't think a guy looking to get back into the AFL coaching fold needs kids patting him on the back and referencing his past failures.

Happy with Neeld. Worked well at Collingwood. Have no doubt he'll do good work at Bomberland.

Some doubt is needed. At least some.

Seriously though, he was a horrible head coach for us. Horrible. However, he addressed the issue of some players who had been weighing down the club for years with their shitty attitudes. For that I will forever thank him.

He seems like a decent guy, and I do wish him the best of luck. I'm sure he's also learned a lot from his mistakes at Melbourne. I don't want him near the club again though.

Neeld aside for a moment, I thought it was pretty strange (bordering on out of line), for Petracca to comment that 'everyone makes mistakes'.

Should he be making that comment?

Seems a little arrogant for a kid to be making that sort of statement about his senior coach at that level.

What's arrogant about honesty?

Some doubt is needed. At least some.

Seriously though, he was a horrible head coach for us. Horrible. However, he addressed the issue of some players who had been weighing down the club for years with their shitty attitudes. For that I will forever thank him.

He seems like a decent guy, and I do wish him the best of luck. I'm sure he's also learned a lot from his mistakes at Melbourne. I don't want him near the club again though.
Too much judgement based on too small a sample IMO. And that's all coaches sacked after <5 years, not just Neeld. He was a highly successful coach at Collingwood. Having read that "Side By Side" book I rated him. He knew his stuff, communicated well with players and was an important member of the panel.

He became head coach at a club that, let's face it, was in crisis. Broke. Shambles off the field. Dismal on field. Being investigated for tanking. Lack of quality on field. Lack of quality in terms of assistants. It was a perfect storm. IMO no coach that wasn't a Clarko/Bomber/Roos/Lyon type would've succeeded in that position. Everything was against him.

By no means am I saying he was without fault, everyone makes mistakes. But I think looking at his time at Melbourne and saying "Nope no good" isn't fair on him. Especially now with that senior experience under his belt. Hopefully he'll turn out to be a good get.

(All of the above is based on my unclear memories of Neeld's Melbourne time. Happy to be corrected where mistaken. I just remember him being on a hiding to nothing)

Too much judgement based on too small a sample IMO. And that's all coaches sacked after <5 years, not just Neeld. He was a highly successful coach at Collingwood. Having read that "Side By Side" book I rated him. He knew his stuff, communicated well with players and was an important member of the panel.

He became head coach at a club that, let's face it, was in crisis. Broke. Shambles off the field. Dismal on field. Being investigated for tanking. Lack of quality on field. Lack of quality in terms of assistants. It was a perfect storm. IMO no coach that wasn't a Clarko/Bomber/Roos/Lyon type would've succeeded in that position. Everything was against him.

By no means am I saying he was without fault, everyone makes mistakes. But I think looking at his time at Melbourne and saying "Nope no good" isn't fair on him. Especially now with that senior experience under his belt. Hopefully he'll turn out to be a good get.

(All of the above is based on my unclear memories of Neeld's Melbourne time. Happy to be corrected where mistaken. I just remember him being on a hiding to nothing)

Bailey managed to win 8.5 games in consecutive seasons under the same management and structure as Neeld - Neeld's first season was acceptable in some ways, we were relatively competitive and probably it was an equivalent year to this year while having more talented players available.

His 2013 season was the worst season of football I've ever seen from a team - he sent players development hugely backwards, three players improved under Neeld in 2013 (Jones, Garland and McDonald) where in 2012 there were some good signs from guys like Watts, etc.

Most things were against him

He made sure that turned to everything, players included. I've spoken with a few players at foundation heroes / sponsorship night. He was a dead set campaigner

zAhi9.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most things were against him

He made sure that turned to everything, players included. I've spoken with a few players at foundation heroes / sponsorship night. He was a dead set campaigner

zAhi9.gif

I'm not defending him, but I'd imagine that the entire world turning pear-shaped and the stress of being publically incompetent drove him completely bonkers as well.

Bailey managed to win 8.5 games in consecutive seasons under the same management and structure as Neeld
AND HE WAS TRYING TO LOSE!!!

Seriously can't wait to see Neeld fail again, * that guy. I hope he gets a twich on the other side of his stupid ******* face.

Such s**t ManwithNoName you've now officially got the worst coaching panel in the history of the world. Head Coach drugged his team and couldn't even win a final, Second in command is Neil Craig and now you're celebrating hiring someone who was sacked from ******* Melbourne after a career of no more wins than I could count on one hand.

lol, sucks to be you.

Seriously can't wait to see Neeld fail again, **** that guy. I hope he gets a twich on the other side of his stupid ******* face.

Such s**t ManwithNoName you've now officially got the worst coaching panel in the history of the world. Head Coach drugged his team and couldn't even win a final, Second in command is Neil Craig and now you're celebrating hiring someone who was sacked from ******* Melbourne after a career of no more wins than I could count on one hand.

lol, sucks to be you.

Hehe - I agree with everything you've said, except go easy on manwithnoname, he's alright.

Oh but wait Mark Neeld was great at saying what Mick Malthouse told him to say to Dane Swan and that Pendlebury guy.

Seriously can't wait to see Neeld fail again, **** that guy. I hope he gets a twich on the other side of his stupid ******* face.

lol, sucks to be you.

Don't hate on manwithnoname please, he is like one of us, he just follows a team we don't particularly like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back