MFC Fans Only Non-Dees AFL discussion - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why Foxtel with Kingy and the Sunday Footy Show are superior. They actually talk tactics and gamestyle. Stevie J and Nathan Brown broke down Macaffer tagging Cotch really well on the weekend with Stevie saying 'this is where his arms go, this is why, if x happens he will do y and if z happens he will do a'. Actual tactics.
If you live somewhere that gets a pay TV signal.

Because, she doesn't know the guy and she's making ridiculous assumptions based on him getting irritated at press conferences and his team losing games!

Caroline Wilson is a ******* idiot.

Think what you like about her but she's no fool. They were just observations on what I'd say have been the last 6-7 years of his increasingly narcissistic, hostile behaviour. The guy deserves NO favours from the media, I don't blame them for trying to antagonise him, in fact I enjoy it. Maybe if he wasn't such a prickly old tosser they wouldn't be gunning for him so much.

Anyway, my original point was that the media concern of Carlton's current 'crisis' is over-blown. They have an average list with little foreseeable upside and this has been clear for a couple of years. And I also recognized that Malthouse's coaching record is very good BUT his time at Carlton is a tricky one. Because they've appointed him because of supposed under-performance under Ratten, when clearly they just weren't that good. And Mick no doubt spruiked himself as the person capable of getting the best out of the list, and pre-season said they have makings of a premiership team. Now he's having a hard time explaining exactly what the contingency plan is.

Think what you like about her but she's no fool. They were just observations on what I'd say have been the last 6-7 years of his increasingly narcissistic, hostile behaviour. The guy deserves NO favours from the media, I don't blame them for trying to antagonise him, in fact I enjoy it. Maybe if he wasn't such a prickly old tosser they wouldn't be gunning for him so much.

Mate, the media can't cop s**t - they deserve more hostility IMO and especially ones who are increasingly hostile to clubs and officials (such as Cawwwoo).

The fact that she wins respect from her peers by being hostile shows what's wrong with that industry.

Am I the only one thinking the media siren of the "Carlton crisis" is a bit over the top? yes, they lost to us and indeed that's panic stations for any team - but what were they actually expecting this year? Got kissed on the D!ck last year - imagine finishing 9th only to be handed a free finals spot and it be against Richmond. That aside they never once looked like a finals team - this year is no different and yes they are worse. Its been a few years coming.

Mick should have faced the music last year but as fortuitous circumstance has it he now celebrates last year as "last 7 seasons I've coached have been finals"
Gee whiz I'm glad of all the mistakes we've made Malthouse wasnt our "messiah" as many wouldve advocated had he been available. His record speaks for itself, but the guy is losing his marbles and he's all in it for himself. Paranoid and basically nonsensical. Caro was quite right tonight to question his mental health

They are absolutely copping it way worse than they deserve. But * em, we've been copping it this bad for years, I'm very happy for the blow torch to be focused on another club.

I think if you're in print media that's being widely circulated you should temper your hostility/bias towards certain individuals/organisations. If you're just writing on a forum or blog, then fair enough have at it, it's what they're made for. But if it's your job to be a voice of reason/expert opinion then you need to be more articulate and discerning in what you write about. Just throwing up rhetorical questions about someone's mental health or why they took on a job is just slinging s**t, BF style, for the sake of slinging s**t and starting a blue. Obviously the turmoil at Carlton has drawn a lot of attention, which is fair enough, and the discussions about their off-field situation is warranted, but just attacking Mick over it (especially in regards to his health and age) is pretty unreasonable.

I found the worst part of the show was them continually slinging questions at him hoping he mixed his words up , and as soon as he started putting up a reasonable argument they would jump In an change the question , it's like quick for q time until they have a quote they can blow out of proportion

Maybe if they asked an actual question then listened for the answer he might pay them more respect , most of them were weighted questions trying to get him to vindicate there opinion

Granted malt house doesn't have the eloquence of Paul Roos but isn't that the point of having different coaches?

I found the worst part of the show was them continually slinging questions at him hoping he mixed his words up , and as soon as he started putting up a reasonable argument they would jump In an change the question , it's like quick for q time until they have a quote they can blow out of proportion

Maybe if they asked an actual question then listened for the answer he might pay them more respect , most of them were weighted questions trying to get him to vindicate there opinion

Granted malt house doesn't have the eloquence of Paul Roos but isn't that the point of having different coaches?
Some of Mick's answers were a bit like lecturing , but the continual interrupting of him was really piss poor. Credit to Malthouse , he is taking the heat when the players should be under the microscope

Some of Mick's answers were a bit like lecturing , but the continual interrupting of him was really piss poor. Credit to Malthouse , he is taking the heat when the players should be under the microscope

Because like he said , he has done this successfully for 30 years , who the * are hutchy an carrow to question his coaching and motives

I was getting frustrated just watching at the interrupting , also when they make a statement to him an not actually ask a question I can see why he treats them with no respect

Because like he said , he has done this successfully for 30 years , who the **** are hutchy an carrow to question his coaching and motives

I was getting frustrated just watching at the interrupting , also when they make a statement to him an not actually ask a question I can see why he treats them with no respect
And there was that moment when he was answering Hutchison's question, paused for a millisecond half way through his answer and Wilson asked a question. His eyes darted back and forth and the frustration that he was on a long form program but could only answer in soundbites was palpable.

I felt sorry for him because he, and Carlton supporters, deserved better, and the rest of us deserved coherent responses to the questions.

I think if you're in print media that's being widely circulated you should temper your hostility/bias towards certain individuals/organisations...
This has actually troubled me for awhile. Wilson is in the print media, radio and television. So is Robinson, Lyon and Maguire. Football is a pretty small pool at the best of times but the coverage of external machinations is controlled by a very small group of people in mainstream media, often with vested interest in the game. The whole landscape needs more voices with less allegiance to teams, papers, stations and telecasts.

This has actually troubled me for awhile. Wilson is in the print media, radio and television. So is Robinson, Lyon and Maguire. Football is a pretty small pool at the best of times but the coverage of external machinations is controlled by a very small group of people in mainstream media, often with vested interest in the game. The whole landscape needs more voices with less allegiance to teams, papers, stations and telecasts.
Right now the pool is VERY small.

Caroline Wilson
3AW - pre-game
Nine - Footy Classified
The Age - Chief Football Writer

Craig Hutchison
Nine - TAC Cup All-stars, Footy Classified, Sunday Footy Show
SEN - Saturday morning

Damien Barrett
AFL - AFL.com.au coverage
Nine - Footy Show, Sunday Footy Show

Mark Robinson
Foxtel - AFL360
SEN - various programs
Herald Sun - Chief Football Writer

Garry Lyon
Nine - Footy Show, Footy Classified
AFL.com.au - Access All Areas
The Age - columnist (I think)

They're the only ones that feature on 3 or more significantly. There's a bit of alignment between AW and FoxFooty now (Tony Shaw, Gerard Healy, Dwayne Russell all doing both) and there's others who do 2+ (Huddo for example) but those five are the real heavy hitters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Caroline Wilson
3AW - pre-game
Nine - Footy Classified

Craig Hutchison
SEN - Saturday morning

Damien Barrett

Mark Robinson
Foxtel - AFL360
SEN - various programs

Garry Lyon

They're the only ones that feature on 3 or more significantly. There's a bit of alignment between AW and FoxFooty now (Tony Shaw, Gerard Healy, Dwayne Russell all doing both) and there's others who do 2+ (Huddo for example) but those five are the real heavy hitters.

I can cope with Lyon and Wilson as being part of the opinion formation (even though I usually disagree with what they say), but the other three just trawl the bottom of the barrel looking for disaster and chaos. Are we happy with these five as the opinion makers?

Caroline Wilson
3AW - pre-game
Nine - Footy Classified

Craig Hutchison
SEN - Saturday morning

Damien Barrett

Mark Robinson
Foxtel - AFL360
SEN - various programs

Garry Lyon

You might add Gerard Whateley ABC Radio and the Offsiders, AFL 360, Geelong Advertiser (just checked and it looks like Mark Neeld has replaced him here. It is what it is, I guess). He gets an hour on the Inquisition every week plus the FOX work. Still not much more than a wading pool.

I can cope with Lyon and Wilson as being part of the opinion formation (even though I usually disagree with what they say), but the other three just trawl the bottom of the barrel looking for disaster and chaos. Are we happy with these five as the opinion makers?
It's interesting. I actually think Hutchy is very good on TAC - scouting and the next generation really is his passion, comes with his love for the NFL. But his other footy opinions really are a struggle and TAC is only 'sexy' during the period from October 1 to the draft.

Robbo is interesting. On Carlton I think he's been very good. He has struggled in recent times because so much of the focus has been on Essendon, but outside of that I find he can be measured and deliver quality. My favourite Robbo show is him, Ox and Mark Allen on SEN, because they're a jovial group and Robbo fits into the Ox-Marco chemistry really really well. I think it depends on the time of day and the topic with him.

Barrett on the other hand belongs in the paparazzi. That's his "journalistic style".

Whateley doesn't get as much traction any more because ABC just isn't that major in their footy coverage compared to Fairfax, Triple M and SEN. I'd suggest that they're actually 4th behind those three in terms of listeners. I'd suggest Healy and Russell get more traction and even Lloyd (who has got a few slots himself now - AW, Nine and print).

The big problem is the best pundits of the last few years - Buckley, Voss and Ling - go back to the coaching ranks.

Robbo's just a big kid, he's a classic footy supporter - have no problems with him.

Also, he has a conscience.

I'd suggest Healy and Russell get more traction and even Lloyd (who has got a few slots himself now - AW, Nine and print).
But Lloyd's problem is the reverse of the journos who have never played, every year away from the game the better, tougher and smarter he thinks he was. And it is all about Essendon.

BTW, how did I get to be a team captain? I have been here less time than Trengove.
I am serious. Keithy George is a team captain with over 3000 posts and I have 89 (90 if you count this one). I feel like Trengove standing next to Judd and Hodge at the captains' photo at the start of the year. Did I nominate?

I am serious. Keithy George is a team captain with over 3000 posts and I have 89 (90 if you count this one). I feel like Trengove standing next to Judd and Hodge at the captains' photo at the start of the year. Did I nominate?

It's to do with your post/like ratio I think.

I can't stand Malthouse, but he is a proven coach and it isn't his fault Carlton are in the shitter. They have been a mediocre team for years, the club itself and some supporters just couldn't bring themselves to see it. I have no idea where they got the idea they were going to win a flag with Waite and Jamison as their best key position players, they are far from crap but you need at least one A grade KPP to win a flag, and those two are B at best. Then you factor in their midfield is full of one-way runners and their only decent ruckman can't get on the ground without hurting himself (Warnock is hilariously bad, hindsight is 20/20 and I was someone who wanted to get him a few years ago, but god we dodged a bullet there).

If they want to go anywhere they should sign up MM long-term and accept the fact they are rebuilding. Let Gibbs go to Adelaide for some form of compo and start from there.

They thought they were heading for a premiership because they could beat up on s**t teams like us and beat the occasional top 8 team. In reality they are no better than us during the Bailey era. No substance at all. They will have to follow us down the rebuild and restructure path again.

I think if you're in print media that's being widely circulated you should temper your hostility/bias towards certain individuals/organisations. If you're just writing on a forum or blog, then fair enough have at it, it's what they're made for. But if it's your job to be a voice of reason/expert opinion then you need to be more articulate and discerning in what you write about.
I'm pretty sure this is the philosophy that Andrew Bolt lives by.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back