MFC Fans Only Non-Dees AFL discussion - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

the shits at the afl won't let me watch 'smart' replay because I'm overseas. any help? the carlton game was the best birthday gift I've had in a long time
Watch.afl.com.au or get a dns unblocker and set it to australia

So 65% of channel 7 viewers like the names on guernseys.

65% of channel 7 viewers are idiots.

You can't read them from a distance, or when the play is moving quick.

You can only see them up close, and with an up-close view you can tell who the player is anyway.

Pointless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Genuine question: What's the argument against them? I don't see the harm in having them on there.

I thought I would have a problem with it cause I like the jumpers being left alone until I saw them and realised I dont give a stuff

Kind of pointless though the games move to quickly

I don't mind the names on the back but I think it's a marketing thing rather than trying to read it during the game. Most team sports (soccer, basketball) have names on the back but you can't ever read them. It's more so people can buy a Wayne Rooney shirt or a Kobe Bryant singlet, soon you could buy a Jesse hogan or a Nathan jones guernsey.

I for one am going to buy a new melbourne guernsey, name or no name with a big number 2 smack back in the middle come my first game of the year round 8 against the dogs, can't wait.

I don't mind the names on the back but I think it's a marketing thing rather than trying to read it during the game. Most team sports (soccer, basketball) have names on the back but you can't ever read them. It's more so people can buy a Wayne Rooney shirt or a Kobe Bryant singlet, soon you could buy a Jesse hogan or a Nathan jones guernsey.

I for one am going to buy a new melbourne guernsey, name or no name with a big number 2 smack back in the middle come my first game of the year round 8 against the dogs, can't wait.
If I had more dosh I would.

Alas, poor me must wear my signed Reach/Opel #11

I like it.

Adds more individual stardom to the sport.

For instance, I'd rather have a signed 'HOGAN 1' jersey hanging up in the pool room than just a '1'.

If I had more dosh I would.

Alas, poor me must wear my signed Reach/Opel #11
I last bought one with a hankook logo on the front, Aaron daveys number on the back so I'm due for a new one I think, I did get an away guernsey with no number on it for my birthday last year but need a red and blue one.

Like someone pointed out it devalues the tradition of the number I think , when you think of the 90's you think of the 2, 3, 5 ,9 , the 13 24 an 33 and so on

That's gone as soon as you put Names on

It takes away from the team an adds to the individual , so instead of representing the 3 and the history of the footy club it's YOUR jumper and yours alone

Like someone pointed out it devalues the tradition of the number I think , when you think of the 90's you think of the 2, 3, 5 ,9 , the 13 24 an 33 and so on

That's gone as soon as you put Names on

It takes away from the team an adds to the individual , so instead of representing the 3 and the history of the footy club it's YOUR jumper and yours alone
seriously , the jumpers were devalued when they became walking billboards , how is this any different. Are you suggesting its ok to have sponsors logo's plastered all over it but not ok to have a players name ?

seriously , the jumpers were devalued when they became walking billboards , how is this any different. Are you suggesting its ok to have sponsors logo's plastered all over it but not ok to have a players name ?

I was specifically talking about the devaluing of the number not the devaluing of the jumper

I like that players are associated with numbers

Ron barassi 31
David neitz 9
Jeff farmer 33
Garry Lyon 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back