MFC Fans Only Non-Dees AFL discussion - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think it will be one of those things where in 3 years from now we'll laugh at the fact we didn't have them. It doesn't devalue s**t. A players going to be inspired or not be inspired by a previous player regardless of whether that person also had their name on it. When I was younger I used to know every persons number for all the teams, but it's just too hard now. You've got more people playing the game, I enjoyed watching the game on television and going who's this bloke that looks like half the AFL, oh it's Lewis Taylor.

Also, if we ever become good again, we won't have to witness (and no, they aren't a myth) those supporters who genuinely call people by number. Think it was 2010 or 11' when we played Hawthorn in round 19 and needed to win to keep our finals aspirations alive, that I witnessed these fair-weather, crawl-from-the-woodwork supporters. 'Chase harder 44', I still shudder in disgust, not only because they didn't know Bennell's name, but they were dumb enough to think he would chase an opposition.

Like someone pointed out it devalues the tradition of the number I think , when you think of the 90's you think of the 2, 3, 5 ,9 , the 13 24 an 33 and so on

That's gone as soon as you put Names on

It takes away from the team an adds to the individual , so instead of representing the 3 and the history of the footy club it's YOUR jumper and yours alone
If adding names 'takes away from the team' I'd suggest the problem isn't with the jumper but rather the entire human condition.

If adding names 'takes away from the team' I'd suggest the problem isn't with the jumper but rather the entire human condition.

Look IMO its just another notch to the whole selfish part of the game and taking it away from the 'team'

Soccer is very much about the individual, the NBA is the most individual sport on earth

I just like the numbers because thats what you are you are a number in a team
Its all irrelevant anyway the AFL will bring it in because it means you have to buy a new jumper as soon as players change clubs/numbers

Look IMO its just another notch to the whole selfish part of the game and taking it away from the 'team'

Soccer is very much about the individual, the NBA is the most individual sport on earth

I just like the numbers because thats what you are you are a number in a team
Its all irrelevant anyway the AFL will bring it in because it means you have to buy a new jumper as soon as players change clubs/numbers
No one's being forced to buy a jumper with a name on it - you can still leave it out if you want to.

And saying that Aussies Rules isn't about the individual is a tad bit unrealistic - we hold draft picks to unreasonably high standards and single them out and ridicule them when they don't perform, or treat them like cult figures when they do. Players that collect high disposal numbers are held up in high esteem even though it can often correlate with them having little impact on the game. The culture of individuals exists as much in AFL as it does in other sports, regardless of whether jumpers have names on the back of them or not.

No one's being forced to buy a jumper with a name on it - you can still leave it out if you want to.

And saying that Aussies Rules isn't about the individual is a tad bit unrealistic - we hold draft picks to unreasonably high standards and single them out and ridicule them when they don't perform, or treat them like cult figures when they do. Players that collect high disposal numbers are held up in high esteem even though it can often correlate with them having little impact on the game. The culture of individuals exists as much in AFL as it does in other sports, regardless of whether jumpers have names on the back of them or not.

Fine then mr big argument I don't like change

Not non-Melbourne, but I've been watching the final from 2006 and it's ******* insane.

10 minutes into the 2nd and we are being killed, but wowee what a game.

Wrecker and Pickett in the same 22, not to mention a young Jonesy taking a few blokes out. Chook's bump on Kosi followed by Jones' on Dal Santo is something else.

Not non-Melbourne, but I've been watching the final from 2006 and it's ******* insane.

Wrecker and Pickett in the same 22, not to mention a young Jonesy taking a few blokes out. Chook's bump on Kosi followed by Jones' on Dal Santo is something else.

My favourite Melbourne game of all time

When Neitz slots the opener on the run from 40, Carroll Man handling gehrig to the ground and rendering him useless
Brock McLeans clearance work in the 3rd and 4th Qtrs

If that 06 team had this teams backline we would have been a top 4 side no doubt in my mind

Carroll Man handling gehrig to the ground and rendering him useless

This has to be in my top 10 moments ever witnessed on a football field. Maybe top 5.

Gorilla A tries to balk Gorilla B.

Gorilla B is not fooled.

This has to be in my top 10 moments ever witnessed on a football field. Maybe top 5.

Gorilla A tries to balk Gorilla B.

Gorilla B is not fooled.

It was the turning point of the elimination final in many ways, Gehrig has put Holland to the sword and Carroll said nup stuff ya your nothing mate

Son got me a copy of this game , get goose bumps watching it. :thumbsu:

If you c's want real goosebumps:

Jeepers. What a game.

Leoncelli's goal to get us back in front with 3 mins left... Wowee.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

won't beat R.Flowers final series in 1987 , the "G" a sea of red and blue . The game v sydney which i attended will live in my heart forever .

04 QBD, the sense of anticipation as we knocked off the Pies in the final term and those moments where we thought a flag was coming

Watching StKilda makes me hate Mark Neeld even more, * Him he promised we would be the hardest team to play against, StKilda right now are a hard team to play against and its taken Richo less than 6 months

They are scores level with Essendon at half time, In Neelds 2nd season we lost by 140

To summarise * YOU MARK NEELD

Watching StKilda makes me hate Mark Neeld even more, **** Him he promised we would be the hardest team to play against, StKilda right now are a hard team to play against and its taken Richo less than 6 months

They are scores level with Essendon at half time, In Neelds 2nd season we lost by 140

To summarise **** YOU MARK NEELD

Well if you had Foxtel you could flick over and watch Port Adelaide. That'd make you feel better.

Oh wait...

04 QBD, the sense of anticipation as we knocked off the Pies in the final term and those moments where we thought a flag was coming

For me it was the 2006 QB, I think Collingwood were 4th and we were 6th, we came out and were up by 50 odd at one stage in the last quarter but they kicked a couple late and we only won by about 6 goals, but we had smashed them all day.

One of my favorite moments which I only witnessed because I was sitting on the fence in the members. Is when we played Hawthorn maybe 4 years ago, and buddy went over and slung tackle one of our boys over the boundary, Jonesy went over to him knocked him flat on his arse and just said 'Stay down, bitch' and that he did. Probably the last time I've seen someone stick up for another player. That St Kilda and Carlton games are up there as my favourite, I would add the Brisbane Woneamirri game, that game we're we smashed Sydney and I thought the penny had dropped. A couple of the QB wins are also up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back