MFC Fans Only Non-Dees AFL discussion - 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It does hurt them a fair bit actually, despite him not being a conventional key forward, he still kicked 50 goals last season, taking 25 goals out of the first half of even Hawthorn's season hurts them.

They're not exactly flush for like for like replacements either, Fitzy and Tim O'Brien seem to be the most likely additions. However given it's Hawthorn, I'm sure they'll have a plan to rejig their forward structure with a smaller set up, and continue to dominate.

Regardless, they were pretty average by comparison for the first half of last season and came home strong to take it out again, so I wouldn't have thought this will phase them to much ... pricks

Roughy kicks most of his goals against the lower teams when they are beating up on them, his goal stats against the good sides arent actually that high

Oh, and assuming the 5 month recovery time is accurate, he should be on track to make his return in Round 11 ... no prizes for guessing who the Hawks play in Round 11 ...
No match fitness after that time though. Hawthorn aren't averse to bringing a star back via the VFL (see Cyril a couple of years back). Drop in rotations means that he will have to play more minutes too.

I would expect that we won't see Roughead til after the bye.

Roughy kicks most of his goals against the lower teams when they are beating up on them, his goal stats against the good sides arent actually that high
Because I'm back at work today after a weeks holiday, and stuff doing anything actually constructive, I checked his stats for last season.

23 goals from 10 games against Top 8 teams
27 goals from 13 games against Bottom 10 teams

So averaged 2.3 goals/game against Top 8, and just over 2 goals/game against Bottom 10. He also kicked his biggest bags against Top 8 teams (7 against the Dogs, 5 against Sydney) and he was held goaless 4 times, twice from each category. So he really is pretty even across the board. I do agree with you that him missing is far from season ending, given they've still got Gunston (57), Breust (52) and Cyril (42) as well as a midfield that will make Fitzy look good.

No match fitness after that time though. Hawthorn aren't averse to bringing a star back via the VFL (see Cyril a couple of years back). Drop in rotations means that he will have to play more minutes too.

I would expect that we won't see Roughead til after the bye.

Yeah fair point, you'd imagine that the 5 month timeline will be for him to be back to full training, while that will include plenty of running, you can do as many laps as you want, you'll still be blowing at qrt time of your first game back. It could depend on what sort of effect his absence has on their win-loss record, but you'd think the bye would be exactly the spot they're eyeing off for his return.

Because I'm back at work today after a weeks holiday, and stuff doing anything actually constructive, I checked his stats for last season.

23 goals from 10 games against Top 8 teams
27 goals from 13 games against Bottom 10 teams

So averaged 2.3 goals/game against Top 8, and just over 2 goals/game against Bottom 10. He also kicked his biggest bags against Top 8 teams (7 against the Dogs, 5 against Sydney) and he was held goaless 4 times, twice from each category. So he really is pretty even across the board. I do agree with you that him missing is far from season ending, given they've still got Gunston (57), Breust (52) and Cyril (42) as well as a midfield that will make Fitzy look good.

Yeah fair point, you'd imagine that the 5 month timeline will be for him to be back to full training, while that will include plenty of running, you can do as many laps as you want, you'll still be blowing at qrt time of your first game back. It could depend on what sort of effect his absence has on their win-loss record, but you'd think the bye would be exactly the spot they're eyeing off for his return.

Bloody stats...

But yeah nah I mean 23 goals against the top 10 isnt season ending for the hawks, Fitzy could easily kick 25-30 goals with a full season and im sure Breust and Gunston will pick up the slack
They will probably miss him in the midfield more

Bloody stats...

But yeah nah I mean 23 goals against the top 10 isnt season ending for the hawks, Fitzy could easily kick 25-30 goals with a full season and im sure Breust and Gunston will pick up the slack
They will probably miss him in the midfield more

Haha, damn facts always ruin everything.

You're 100% right tho, it's that versatility that makes him such a good player. Also important to note how much of a loss Hale will be as well, but not only him, but the sub rule, and how well they used it. Hale was the perfect ruck/fwd sub fodder player, give the No.1 ruck a chop out, kick a goal or two, then spend the last qrt on the pine in place of a player with leg speed.

Plenty of changes up forward for the Hawks this year, sadly they'll no doubt revolutionise it with nearly zero effect on their win-loss

On a completely unrelated note, has anyone ever noticed (because I only just did then as I was typing it) that its referred to as "Up Forward" and "Down Back" yet when teams are listed, the backs are at the top, and the forwards are at the bottom ... i'm not sure how i feel about all this.

Haha, damn facts always ruin everything.

You're 100% right tho, it's that versatility that makes him such a good player. Also important to note how much of a loss Hale will be as well, but not only him, but the sub rule, and how well they used it. Hale was the perfect ruck/fwd sub fodder player, give the No.1 ruck a chop out, kick a goal or two, then spend the last qrt on the pine in place of a player with leg speed.

Plenty of changes up forward for the Hawks this year, sadly they'll no doubt revolutionise it with nearly zero effect on their win-loss

On a completely unrelated note, has anyone ever noticed (because I only just did then as I was typing it) that its referred to as "Up Forward" and "Down Back" yet when teams are listed, the backs are at the top, and the forwards are at the bottom ... i'm not sure how i feel about all this.

They will miss him for sure because he is an extremely intelligent player and is a great team man, ive always said he is the best key small ive ever seen
I just get the feeling that the Hawks system of play will win out, they will just play poker until the last few rounds of the season and then make sure Lewis, Hodge, Rioli, Roughy, Mitchell, Burgoyne and co are firing for the only 5-6 games that really matter

With Rough it's not just his goalkicking. It's his flexibility. He can mark, he can crumb, he chases, he can ruck, he can have a run in the middle. He cannot be replaced.
Nek minnit, Fitz kicks 50 by round 12.

No doubt he will be working on his tunnel ball skills in the off-season too. Look out!

Don't. I bet you just made that happen. I'm coming after you when it inevitably happens and it won't be nice right after reading 15,000 smug posts from sunny day Hawks supporters crapping on about their cultcha and Clarko's work ethic

Fitzy is the most likely of all our outcasts in the last 5 years to actually work out. He was never once given an extended run in the team, but still showed more than enough for a young tall.

Apparently Fitzy not too highly rated by Hawks supporters ATM. A couple on another board reckon he way back on the list. I'm thinking they recruited him for a reason such as Roughy going down and he'll be highly considered come round 1

You folks had any experience with mental illness?

Yep, my mum and my sister both attempted suicide when I was in my teens, imagine how that makes you feel as the only other person in the house. Both are stuck on anti-depression meds for life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, my mum and my sister both attempted suicide when I was in my teens, imagine how that makes you feel as the only other person in the house. Both are stuck on anti-depression meds for life.

My experiences with anxiety are that it doesn't make you self harmful, but it can be debilitating to a level that I don't think people would appreciate.

You can only hope that players won't use mental illness as a tool to manufacture trades.

My experiences with anxiety are that it doesn't make you self harmful, but it can be debilitating to a level that I don't think people would appreciate.

You can only hope that players won't use mental illness as a tool to manufacture trades.

Many people have different experiences with anxiety at varying levels. Anxiety and depression go hand in hand and quite often depression is a result of the affected person not knowing how to cope with their anxiety. In some cases this can lead to self-attacking which can include actual self harm.

Don't. I bet you just made that happen. I'm coming after you when it inevitably happens and it won't be nice right after reading 15,000 smug posts from sunny day Hawks supporters crapping on about their cultcha and Clarko's work ethic
In a bit of a sadistic way, I would love that to happen. It would prove me right that I think it was the wrong move to get rid of him, particularly with Jamar forced out. I still don't know what happens if Gawn goes down.

Hawks will probably win it again anyway, so it's not as if Fitz kicking a century of goals will affect us in any way, shape or form. Puttin. On. Da. Fitz.

In a bit of a sadistic way, I would love that to happen. It would prove me right that I think it was the wrong move to get rid of him, particularly with Jamar forced out. I still don't know what happens if Gawn goes down.
Fitz wasn't a ruckman's a-hole. Okay at either end but awful in the ruck.

The Russian officially a Bomber for 2016. Just FYI.

srs%20sads

That may be true, but I'm still unsure as to why we let him go. Thought he provided pretty decent depth. I'd rather him than Dawes
Maybe we knew we were targeting tall timber at the draft and decided that our targets were better options?

Well i'd liked the russian to remain a one club player, but i wish him all the best. I'll give him a cheer round 2 when we face the bombers and i hope other melbourne supporters will at least do the same. Give him the Mcdonald response not the Scully response

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back