Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Thread X

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geelong controlled most of that game, I thought.
Just got home from the game and I agree, cats could have won that by 6 goals. Cudos to the hawks defense to limit the damage.

Cats really controlled the battle of the midfield, but wasted many opportunities in their forward 50.

Johnson was incredible throughout the game and was bog for mine. Hawkins running him a close second. The cats really are an amazing team and they have managed to stay at the top because of their incredible core including selwood, bartel, sj, enright, Hawkins, Taylor, lonergan, etc.

Will preface my post by saying that some 'Drucks and Drakes' were played today. No way you would ever play Cheney on Hawkins when you have Lake/Gibson and Stratton available. And Lonergan is a poor match up with Gunston. This won't happen in the finals.

As I have previously posted, Geelong has the best press ( when on ) in the AFL, though its not applied every week - The Hawks were hopeless at getting the ball out of defence and realistically Geelong should have had a match winning lead at three quarter time. Hawks will improve when Lake returns and Geelong will improve their outside run with their return of Christensen and Motlop. Hawks need to find a way to get easier exits from defence because their ball use forward of the centre was exemplary.

His current form is A grade football. It's incredible from a second year player.

His current form isn't A Grade level. His decision making needs further development.

Ben - Macrae is not even near being an A Grade midfielder. His progress suggests that he will reach this level in another two or three years.

He doesn't have the history of performance obviously, but his start to the year has been comfortably A Grade standard.

Looks like Geelong is set to defy gravity for another season. I would add that they still heavily rely on the old hands.. Stevie J, Bartel, Enright all had major parts to play in the win.

Hawks looked lost at times.. and had really sloppy skills.. very unusual but no doubt as a response to the pressure they were under.

Unfortunately even the 80K crowd couldn't redeem the fact that average attendance is now down 10% on the year.. which is massive. I know I was howled down last time.. but it is going to get to a point where people can't ignore the fact that the AFL is at risk of losing many fans. There is no way to get around the fact that the footy is a) too expensive for lots of people to attend regularly and b) the game is UGLY at the moment.. just really really ugly and no one enjoys watching that.. plus blow outs mean that people switch over a lot.

Today's game was good to watch as it was fast, free flowing (whilst still being defensive) and close.. always a good recipe. Chalk and Cheese to the s**t we served up on Sat night, or the Melb v GC game..

AFL will need to do something ASAP.

The crowd on Saturday night at our game was rubbish as well, to be honest. 36,000? That's well below par.
Yep. 28K for the Carlton dogs game. 20K for Friday night at the Gabba and only 17K to the Melbourne game..

Oh and there were 57K to watch Collingwood vs North Melbourne.. basically the same as the Carl vs Ess game.. but I'm sure the AFL will keep kidding themselves that the timeslot works!

Crowds well well well down on last season. Lowest Round 5 'average' attendance in 15 years.. seems early indications weren't just an anomaly.

Yep. 28K for the Carlton dogs game. 20K for Friday night at the Gabba and only 17K to the Melbourne game..

Oh and there were 57K to watch Collingwood vs North Melbourne.. basically the same as the Carl vs Ess game.. but I'm sure the AFL will keep kidding themselves that the timeslot works!

Crowds well well well down on last season. Lowest Round 5 'average' attendance in 15 years.. seems early indications weren't just an anomaly.
Footscray v Carlton should be getting low to mid 30s, I reckon. 28k is poor.

20k at the Gabba I can excuse. Brisbane are rubbish and have been for a long time, it will be a while before we again get the heady days when every game at the Gabba drew 33k.

17k to Melbourne/GC- only slightly below par, 20-23k would have been acceptable. 57k to Collingwood/North is decent. 80k today was very good.

I expected at least 40k on Saturday night, though. Maybe that was optimistic but 36k was, IMO, disappointing.

Footscray v Carlton should be getting low to mid 30s, I reckon. 28k is poor.

20k at the Gabba I can excuse. Brisbane are rubbish and have been for a long time, it will be a while before we again get the heady days when every game at the Gabba drew 33k.

17k to Melbourne/GC- only slightly below par, 20-23k would have been acceptable. 57k to Collingwood/North is decent. 80k today was very good.

I expected at least 40k on Saturday night, though. Maybe that was optimistic but 36k was, IMO, disappointing.

Then why is it played at the G?? 17K is poor.. no matter how you slice it.. I mean it is less than Melbourne Storm drew later than night.. and that is a very very very worrying sign.

20K at the gabba playing a small side maybe.. but they have been averaging 25K to that fixture.. even when they were crap.

Statistics pretty much point to a drop of 10% across the board..

Then why is it played at the G?? 17K is poor.. no matter how you slice it.. I mean it is less than Melbourne Storm drew later than night.. and that is a very very very worrying sign.

20K at the gabba playing a small side maybe.. but they have been averaging 25K to that fixture.. even when they were crap.

Statistics pretty much point to a drop of 10% across the board..
Because they're Melbourne and the original tenants of the MCG. Not really a good excuse, but they're not going to move. And, to be fair to Melbourne, they seem to pretty much never get home games at the MCG against any big sides other than Collingwood.

In fact, the only Victorian sides they host at the MCG this year are Footscray, North, Geelong and Collingwood. Commercially, that's a disastrous fixture for them. I'd happily trade away our MCG home against them to be their game, if it meant we got a home game at the MCG against Geelong or Hawthorn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The crowd on Saturday night at our game was rubbish as well, to be honest. 36,000? That's well below par.
Pretty standard for a big vs small club at that stadium

Anyone seen this good little article from the SEN website in regards to 'unwatchable matches' this season?

http://www.sen.com.au/display-article-2013/Unwatchable-AFL-slumping-to-record-lows/64573

nwatchable AFL slumping to record lows

There is nothing like a Geelong-Hawthorn classic to paper over what have been almost unwatchable games this season, and the numbers are staggering.

Even a television network that paid megabucks to broadcast the game was wondering how it had become so unwatchable.
A rare credit to Seven's Saturday night team, who seemed to be wondering what they were watching during a three-goal second quarter between Essendon and St Kilda.

Even they were questioning if fans would attend games should they continue to be played with keeping possession seemingly more important than kicking goals.

Interesting.. MY St.Kilda mate is still more interested in a win than attractive football

10,000 people went to see Goddard?

I find it highly unlikely.

Crowds are down, 37K in Rd 5 is dismal.
Okay, last year was a St. Kilda Home game. Meaning that they'd get about 22/23k there. We come out to all games generally, no matter who has the home game. This year I reckon there were about 25k Essendon and about 10-11k St. Kilda

There was a bigger crowd the last time we had a home fixture against the Saints- the game in Round 18, 2010. A lot had given up the ghost because of our Knights-induced shitness by that point of 2010.

Only by a thousand, but still, 37k showed up to that 2010 game. 36k in Round 5 for Bombers v Saints is dismal no matter which way you spin it.

If you need to know how a few umpiring decisions can decide the course of a match, just watch the Syd/Fre game.
You sure you're not a Fremantle supporter?

I reckon you'd be one of the first - along with Phone - to roll your eyes at Essendon supporters saying the same thing about one of our games.

Power are showing the AFL how it should be done.
It's funny though, they've been praised for their sudden increase in strength and fitness, yet when we did it, it was proof that we were drug cheats.

If you need to know how a few umpiring decisions can decide the course of a match, just watch the Syd/Fre game.

Returning the favour for the '11 match at the same ground then.

The Nick Lower game, as legend will remember it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back