Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Thread X

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You sure you're not a Fremantle supporter?

pretty sure bro

I reckon you'd be one of the first - along with Phone - to roll your eyes at Essendon supporters saying the same thing about one of our games.

I'll take a comparison with Phone as a compliment. I don't know if he'd do likewise.

I like to think I deal with them on a case-by-case basis, and normally I'll roll my eyes at blaming the umpires regardless of who's doing the blaming. And even this time it's not really blaming them entirely - Fremantle were outplayed for long enough in the match for it to be their own fault - but pointing out how wrong decisions at crucial points can change the flow of a match entirely.

There is no way to disguise the fact that crowds are down.. viewers are down and there are some very very very nervous people right now. AFL is on the nose for whole host of reasons.. and not least is the corruption at the top.. the botched handling for everything from the Tippett affair to the Bombers last year.. Plus at some point people were going to wane from the almost blanket saturation media coverage the game gets..

Even little things like we now have 4 commentators about about 35 'experts' rabbiting on tv.. war rooms, tactical rooms, analyser space, pre game, mid game, after game, warm up game, on the couch, off the coach, legends speak, comedy footy, footy classified, footy show, talking footy, daily shows... just too much...!

What will kill this game is the fact that is currently VERY boring to watch unless you are very motivated or extremely interested in your team.. and in particular the younger generation just doesn't have the time for it..

Warning bells should be ringing....

Collingwood's Marley Williams has escaped a jail sentence after belting some guy.

Very, very lucky

doesn't strike me as a particularly sharp lad. Odds of him doing it again would be pretty good

You sure you're not a Fremantle supporter?

I reckon you'd be one of the first - along with Phone - to roll your eyes at Essendon supporters saying the same thing about one of our games.

The statement is pretty silly imo. I don't really think anybody disrupts that a few umpiring decisions, even one, can change the course of a match. It's just that most of the time the card is played I feel it's a cop-out (as with blaming arrogance, lack of heart etc)

I didn't really pay attention to that game so I have no idea what happened though

Made complicated by the fact that the bump was the correct option there. He couldn't tackle or smother, but doing nothing opened up the chance that Ward would tackle the Crows player.

I'm hoping (probably against hope) that the referral is because the points system grading of intentional, high contact, high/severe impact is unreasonable given the circumstances.

i was questioning the difference between murray newman who got jail and marley williams who got a slap on the wrist, was told newmans was a pre mediated act where as williams was provoked and acted on impulse... im prepared to give a kid a second chance on this occassion, i know society is going off the scale on 'coward punches' right now but kids still make mistakes

Aren't suspended sentences not uncommon for these sortss of things?

On the Douglas thing, I thought there was nothing in it. Hit him on the chest, the head hitting the ground causing concussion

Hmm I don't agree on the Douglas bump. Ward wasn't close to being able to make a tackle, was jogging behind the Crows player, not in a hard sprint.

The "concussion caused by head hitting ground" I don't think is a good argument here seeing as if he didn't get bumped he doesn't end up on the ground.

So Port Adelaide's Hamish Hartlett isn't buying into the Perth trip hangover business. That despite travelling less kms, playing at night instead of 32 degree heat and having 8 days recovery instead of 6. Right.

For the record, Bomber was spot on about players needing to be more professional with their recovery and the attitude against St Kilda wasn't good enough. But anyone thinking it isn't a factor is kidding themselves. Like KB

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was surprised that the Douglas case went to the tribunal. It was a bit more than 5 metres off the ball. BTG is probably right about the case not fitting into the grading system. 2 weeks is about right.

Reunite the Swallows at the other place? GC are a little tall-heavy after all.

I was never one who ever really thought we'd get David. Would have been nice but what they would have wanted in return wouldn't have been worth it.

I also want JZ made captain as soon as possible.

Very open to trading Andrew, especially if we can do it in a way we maximise his value rather than lose him to FA.

I'd be more interested in some of their small forward types. We really need more forward pacy pressure.

Or Harley Bennell.

(Sorry, forgot this wasn't the delusional pearlers thread)

I was never one who ever really thought we'd get David. Would have been nice but what they would have wanted in return wouldn't have been worth it.

I also want JZ made captain as soon as possible.

Very open to trading Andrew, especially if we can do it in a way we maximise his value rather than lose him to FA.

I'd be more interested in some of their small forward types. We really need more forward pacy pressure.

Or Harley Bennell.

(Sorry, forgot this wasn't the delusional pearlers thread)

Trade Andrew Swallow ! Do you think David will reach the level of Andrew ! I am yet to be convinced.

Trade Andrew Swallow ! Do you think David will reach the level of Andrew ! I am yet to be convinced.

Given David was a pick 1 and Andrew 43 ... who missed out on being drafted altogether in his first time around ... you'd reckon David will be. He's the more complete player and has the better "footballer's physique".

The development of Spitta is one of Dean Laidley's key achievements. Sent him to the two's for a year with the simple instruction to learn to play outside more and improve his kicking. It is often forgotten that Spitta was basically on the last year of a contract and going to be delisted if he didn't show improvement. 2009 I think nit was, maybe 08, anyway, he couldn't get a game in Rd1, was an emergency. Then Liam Anthony was a late withdrawal, Spitta came in, was BOG, and never looked bavck.

No chance. He's their captain and they're already struggling for on-field leadership.

The fact that he is our captain is a key reason we are struggking for onfield leadership.

FFS, Luke McDonald has shown more in four games - onfield leadershipn- than Spitta has in three odd years as captain.

Swallow seems a bit more taciturn than your average captain. Not that that means anything, but he just doesn't seem like he has the capacity to be an incendiary MFer like all successful captains are. Armchair observation.

I'll admit though, I thought he was the obvious choice to succeed Harvey. Ziebell's probably old enough now - couldn't have done it in '12.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back