Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Thread X

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because if I go outside I get sunburnt :(

833px-Sad-i-know-that-feel-clean-l.png

Also, I'm vaguely bemused at the Griffen "get out of the Melbourne football environment" thing... if a player that only a few people really give a s**t about (I wouldn't know his voice from Teller's TBH) who plays at a club that no one gives a s**t about feels the pressure one can only imagine how Franklin or Ablett must've felt.

Also, I'm vaguely bemused at the Griffen "get out of the Melbourne football environment" thing... if a player that only a few people really give a s**t about (I wouldn't know his voice from Teller's TBH) who plays at a club that no one gives a s**t about feels the pressure one can only imagine how Franklin or Ablett must've felt.
It's beginning to sound like the footballer's version of "irreconcilable differences".

They overpaid for a guy who they prob wouldn't get the opportunity to overpay in a few years if he was really good. Seems fine imo when you consider they are hardly a big name free agent destination and it gives them exactly what they need to build, sure it may fail spectaculary but it seems better than sitting on their hands waiting for lol Liam Jones to become a thing.

Listening to Andrew McKay on SEN last night sums up basically everything that is wrong with the attitude of the clubs. There is no consideration of their failings or the broader situation, it's all knee jerk reaction to the frustration of the present.

He said that there should be a ban on trading draftees during their first contract. When asked whether Carlton was interested in Boyd he ultimately let on that Carlton were going to make a massive play for Boyd at the end of next year.

So because he is pissed that he loses the chance to poach Boyd, having been undercut by another club, he'll probably now join a lobby to ban the trading of players during their first contracts.

This is why policy agreed to by the clubs always turns out to be bad, it's also where the focus on the contract gets moronic. Is completion of the second year somehow meant to repay the investment of the club in recruiting the player?

Why are we concerned that GWS traded a player at the completion of his first year when they got tremendous overs for him and everyone is happy? There is no guarantee that they'd be able to secure the same value for him at the end of 2015 when the contract ends and they'd have also lost the ability to control his movement.

The risk if Footscray's. They wanted to be able to sell the monumental * up of a post season review that cost them their coach and captain/best player in the space of a few days and have achieved that by landing one of the most promising key forwards to be drafted (which is a position that the Dogs have not filled for the best part of 10 years). Well done to them, I'd like to think fortune favours the brave but it is probably going to be a nervous 24 months for the decision makers as they wait for the man child's muscle mass to develop and catch up with his bulk.

GWS should be more scrupulous when it is drafting its players. Clearly they're not asking prospective recruits whether they want to live and work in the shithole the club is based in when they should be.

It should be acceptable for a prospective draftee to tell a club his views on moving interstate as it actually protects clubs from themselves and would prevent situations where players of the ilk of Boyd and Polec are walking out on clubs having not repaid the investment.

If we take any other path we're just trying to coerce players to stay and it won't work because if they don't walk at the end of year 1, it will be 2 or 3 or 4.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

10:42am: In non-trade footy news, the Blues have announced this morning that their members will vote on whether the club reverts to its traditional jumper with the team's old monogram in 2015.

And a million voices screamed out "Who gives a flying ****? **** Carlton!'

The only bad thing about the impending Port rant is that it's not going to be delivered in person.

I don't know if Jade realises that he does a Sam Newman open-palm point when he's on a roll but it's suitably forthright.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back