Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Thread X

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did Carlton miss the memo it's Indigenous round or did their budget not extend to getting a jumper to celebrate it?
They're actually wearing one, it's just not obvious on TV by the looks of it.

137172_55f19f4aec37867eebd471c9307200f3.jpg

i know i should just leave it alone, but check out Mark Robinson's incredible work this week:

Monday, The Tackle Likes and Dislikes:

3. ADAM GOODES BOOING: It’s not racism, it’s because he plays for free kicks, but it’s an ugly aside to the brilliance of Goodes. And he’s back. Eighteen touches, seven marks - one a crucial high-ball mark in the final quarter - and five inside 50s.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...kes-and-dislikes/story-fnp04d70-1227367782149

Today, Adam Goodes boos really about him standing up against racism

There are supposedly multiple reasons for the displeasure shown to the two-time Brownlow Medallist.

Some people just don’t like him.

Some don’t like the way he acts for free kicks, and he has had a tendency to throw his arms back like Sgt Elias (played by Willem Dafoe) in the final scene of Platoon.

Others say they didn’t like how he used to slide into contests with his knees, which prompted Dermott Brereton to accuse him of lacking courage.

“He’s a champion — he’s gutsy at playing with his own injuries,” Brereton said. “But when it comes to putting his head over the ball and copping body on body, he chooses to go feet-first at other people’s peril.

“There is a lot of courage in Adam Goodes. But the gladiatorial-type courage of copping one big hit to the head — Goodes goes feet-first.”

He’s an influential man, Derm, and the footy person does listen.

But I’d argue the main reasons football crowds turned on Adam Goodes were 1) he pointed at a 13-year-old girl in the crowd at the MCG who naively called him an ape; and 2) he was named Australian of the Year.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...p-against-racism/story-fnp04d70-1227374761556

Either he's gone through a pretty big transformation in the space of 6 days, or he didn't write one of those articles. Which.....

Not sure why but I'm actually watching this ahead of the cricket. Maybe for Buddy's 19 that Johnno promised us. ;)

He went through the transformation in a day. He said on 360 on Monday that he didn't think it was racism then said he's changed his opinion and believes it's racism on Tuesday.

ahahahaha. what a strange man. I, of course, think he's gone to the right place, but christ, a day? he had a year to form his original opinion too!

An already uninspiring captain just seems to get even less inspiring by the day. Murphy did not look anywhere near comfortable being asked some pretty basic questions by the well known genius and hard-hitting interviewer that is Richo.

Get the captaincy as far away from him as possible, as soon as possible (or don't).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well at least after tonight Goodes and I'll know why he gets booed. Kicking a man while he's down, or in this case over celebrating a goals against a team that is at rock bottom is a disgrace, and unsportsman like, and should be deservedly booed. If he had done it last week against the Hawks it would have been fine.

Reminds me of when Tom Hawkins used to do the massive fist pump when the cats were 10+ goals up in the last quarters of games..

Well at least after tonight Goodes and I'll know why he gets booed. Kicking a man while he's down, or in this case over celebrating a goals against a team that is at rock bottom is a disgrace, and unsportsman like, and should be deservedly booed. If he had done it last week against the Hawks it would have been fine.

Reminds me of when Tom Hawkins used to do the massive fist pump when the cats were 10+ goals up in the last quarters of games..

It's in the spirit of Indigenous round - if he did it last week imagine all the outrage from the supposedly non-racist fans. I for one liked it and would be happy if there was more of it. This same dance is applauded when the young Indigenous rep team does it, the Haka is applauded, NRL now incorporates it into rep matches ie Indigenous all stars. Are you all going to whinge if one of our boys does the exact same thing tomorrow night?

i know i should just leave it alone, but check out Mark Robinson's incredible work this week:

Forget the volte-face about Goodes, Sgt. Elias absolutely does not die in the last scene of Platoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back