Workshop Non-Footy Designs - A No-Guernsey Area

Remove this Banner Ad

I've had a bit of trouble keeping calm in those situations where I need to press triangle...mainly, because X gets stuck.

Anyways...back in the 70s when the played in the MECCA, the Milwaukee Bucks' court was basically two huge M's side by side. Starting this year, they'll be playing on a new version of the Mecca floor...which made me wonder what a Mecca uniform would look like.

Occasionally, I've created concepts for the other AFL, that funny indoor game. Just as occasionally, my subject team hasn't existed for some time. The Houston Thunderbears fit both bills: Arena league team, and have been nonexistent for a decade, give or take.
tbearsidsheet13.png

I had nothing against their real identity, aside from their first season, when they had this weird number font. Their helmet logo could've been better, though, it was a bear claw holding a football with the team name underneath. Anyways, I know you've looked at a cloud or two in your lifetime and thought it looked like some animal, thus a storm cloud that looks like a bear. With lightning bolts as canines and claws.

thunderbears13main.png

Arena league uniforms, aside from the Zubaz crap, have actually been tamer than most people have made them out to be. Back in the 90s, the Arizona Rattlers had themselves a very distinctive look simply by playing with perhaps the most traditional striping pattern in gridiron football, the Northwestern stripe, a route the San Jose Sabercats would follow (Arizona used a two-color zigzag, mimicking the diamondback rattler, while San Jose used a rising sun). It is basically that aesthetic combined with that one Port jumper with the realistic lightining bolt and the Tampa Bay Lightning's old rainstorm jersey, the result going on the sleeves.

Last from me for the moment, I've been a Chicago Cubs fan ever since I can remember. If you've ever watched a Cubs home game on TV, you may notice seemingly every third fan wearing a navy oddball among the sea of royal blue, caps featuring a little white bear holding a bat. The 1914 season was rather forgettable for the Cubs, but the cap worn for that one season is pretty damn popular among Cub fans. A few months ago, I'd wondered what a modernized version would look like, so I got to work, deciding to base an alternate uniform around this new bear & bat. On one hand, seeing the Cubs in pinstripes is generally considered part of the Wrigley Field experience...on the other hand, it might be nice to have a "bright white" uniform on hand, a la the Mets.
cubslonealt131-1.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Figured it'd be a waste to create a new thread when this one suffices...anyway, the Calgary Flames debuted a new third jersey that's gotten a number of mixed reviews. They'd also shown a bunch of logos they'd rejected that were designed for said new third, one of which was a simplified take on their classic burning C. I wanted to see what it'd look like on a sweater, and here it is.
flamesmain1.png

Made a few third concepts as well, and considering the main sets kinda went downhill from here, this wound up being my favorite of the bunch
flamesalt1.png

A bit further back, I'd had a uniform idea for the Santa Cruz Warriors, a minor league team owned by the Golden State Warriors, a little something based on the iconic "The City" uniform with something more local to Santa Cruz, which is nicknamed Surf City USA, so I decided to roll with that. A wave instead of a bridge on the front, and a surfboard instead of a trolley car on the back.
seadubshome2.png

seadubsroad2.png

Yes, people call the Warriors the Dubs for short, so SCW informally became the Sea Dubs. I'd actually tried three boards stacked together as a numberplate at first, to mimic the cable car on the back of the City, but everybody who had an opinion hated that part, prompting me to redo it into what you see here. The third whites are based on the 70s and 80s Golden State uniform...
seadubsalt.png

Had a crack at making minor edits to an old Arsenal logo. Think either of the two mock-ups would be a much better football badge than what they have now.

arsenal1.png arsenal2.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back