Non-Lions Footy Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Witness at the scene very powerful. If this is a true account, I hope he's locked up.

Assuming that article is accurate, Daw was "only" 16 at the time himself.

I'm no lawyer but wouldn't he be classed as a minor at the time of the alleged offence?

If so, how would that affect any sentence if he was found guilty?

Assuming that article is accurate, Daw was "only" 16 at the time himself.

I'm no lawyer but wouldn't he be classed as a minor at the time of the alleged offence?

If so, how would that affect any sentence if he was found guilty?

Is he denying anything happened, acknowledging it happened but claiming it was consensual, or acknowledging it happened and expressing remorse?

Yep. Devastating if evidence is accepted. Removes a lot of the one individual account against another if taken into account. I do hope his status does not soften the sentence. That sends a very bad message.

What is surprising is the fact that the reporting of the case is using his name if he was 16 when the offence occurred. Are the laws different in Victoria?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2015-02-05/sylvia-to-train-with-peel-thunder

Fremantle player Colin Sylvia will train with partner WAFL club Peel Thunder after it was determined he was not meeting the physical requirements for AFL football.

This is pretty sad. He'll always be a cautionary tale for talented but wayward draftees.

Frustrating for Freo as well. I believe he's contracted for another year after this one, but it'd be surprising if he ever played another game for them.

Sylvia is a bloody talented player, but his head just isnt in the game.

Talent wasted because of lack of application. Second chance spurned, that sort of thing.
Mmm, fair enough. I think the fact that it is through lack of application makes it very much less sad.
Sad if a talented player is cruelled by injury like some of our rookies over the years, or indeed our own Brent Staker over the last few years, but Silvia's woes seem to be all his own doing. Over the journey he has been a bully boy with a reputation for laziness. $330,000.00 a year, and it seems he still doesn't put the effort in to do what's required.
I certainly don't feel any sadness for him.

Mmm, fair enough. I think the fact that it is through lack of application makes it very much less sad.
Sad if a talented player is cruelled by injury like some of our rookies over the years, or indeed our own Brent Staker over the last few years, but Silvia's woes seem to be all his own doing. Over the journey he has been a bully boy with a reputation for laziness. $330,000.00 a year, and it seems he still doesn't put the effort in to do what's required.
I certainly don't feel any sadness for him.

I understand what you are saying Skoob and I suppose I don't feel sorry for him. However Sylvia's situation just made me a bit sad. I guess that any waste of human potential seems to lessen us all somehow.

Think they did the same to Walters 2 years ago. Hopefully Sylvia turns it around, such a waste of talent.

I understand what you are saying Skoob and I suppose I don't feel sorry for him. However Sylvia's situation just made me a bit sad. I guess that any waste of human potential seems to lessen us all somehow.
My wife's nephew was a ruckman (juniors) for Mayne & Kedron, played with both Akers at different times, All Australian under 18s and was invited to train with the Bears at the same time as Jason. Having spent his youth playing footy, it was around this time that he decided to pursue basketball instead (more as a hobby sport).
My step-son has an incredible talent for golf, but only plays occasionally for fun.

It has been commented of both that they "couldabeen", and I've always argued they couldn't (make it at the top level). Talent is only part of the equation, so barring bad luck with keeping the body right, or coming along at the same time as some who are better, you either make it or not. I'd suggest Colin's had a pretty good run, given his apparent attitude and application.
No good lamenting wasted talent when it is a disinterest or lack of motivation/laziness that holds it back.

Think they did the same to Walters 2 years ago. Hopefully Sylvia turns it around, such a waste of talent.

Yeah. It's pretty sad, if you ask me.

Beau Waters injured yet again. This time it's his shoulder that popped out during a training session. Poor guy really can't catch a break these days. All the hard work he did this pre-season could have just gone to waste.

You have to feel for Waters, he is a damn good player and important to the weagles. Looks like it could be career ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back