Non-Lions Footy Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate I wish!! Our hourly rate, especially in the domestic field, has to cover the time we are unable to charge for, such as travel to and from jobs, book work and stuff like this.
For a 40hr week, on average I am able to charge for 25hrs worth of work.

Anyway sorry to derail the thread!!
I i wouldn't worry L08. I don't think this thread was ever really "railed". In my experience traders drug of choice is beer.

This is not looking good

Cocaine abuse at Gold Coast Suns’ AFL club identified in intelligence reports
  • CARLY CRAWFORD AND JEREMY PIERCE
  • HERALD SUN
  • FEBRUARY 26, 2015 12:00AM

COCAINE abuse at the Gold Coast Suns has been identified in intelligence reports.

The Herald Sun can reveal that Suns players came to the attention of police two years ago over allegations some were supplying and using cocaine among themselves.

While reports did not name individuals, it was alleged players used cocaine in private homes as long ago as 2012.

The suspected use occurred outside the official AFL competition season and club officials were kept in the dark.

139615-ed0299ba-bcc3-11e4-a901-79cc3d20af7b.jpg

Gold Coast Suns coach Rodney Eade speaks to the media at Metricon Stadium. Picture: ADAM HEAD

One then current player sourced cocaine more than once and supplied it to teammates, according to the claims.

Police and AFL officials have publicly flagged concerns about drug use among players in recent years.

Some former club figures have even raised concerns about use among club officials.

139643-61808676-bcc9-11e4-a901-79cc3d20af7b.jpg

Former Gold Coast Suns player Karmichael Hunt will face court on four counts of supplying cocaine.

Lifting the lid on football’s hidden culture in its drugs in sport report, the Australian Crime Commission also stated: “There is ... evidence to suggest that some athletes are supplying others with illicit drugs.”

The explosive report, published in early 2013 following a long investigation called Operation Aperio, continues: “Information obtained by the ACC suggests that illicit drug use by professional athletes remains an ongoing issue, with official statistics for illicit drug use within professional sports likely to significantly understate the extent of actual use.”

The ACC would not elaborate, saying: “The ACC has never publicly commented on the teams or individuals involved in Project Aperio.”

The revelations come as one former Suns player, Karmichael Hunt, prepares to face court on four counts of supplying cocaine between June and December last year.

Hunt is among eight people, mostly elite athletes, who have been caught up in a Crime and Corruption Commission investigation into a cocaine trafficking network operating in southeast Queensland.

Managers of worried Suns players have this week made contact with lawyers in case the club is the next target in the investigation, which has plunged the NRL into crisis.

So far, six current and former Gold Coast Titans players have been charged.

The CCC, which investigates serious organised crime, says more athletes could be charged later this week or early next week.

“Based on current information, the CCC expects any further arrests of current or former sportspeople will occur by the end of this week or early next week,” the CCC said. “However, if new information comes to hand the CCC may consider further arrests.”

Superstar Hunt, 28, played across three major footy codes and left the AFL at the end of last season.

Suns coach Rodney Eade yesterday revealed club officials had spoken to players about the unfolding cocaine drama, inviting anyone with information to volunteer it.

“The CEO, Andrew Travis, addressed the players as did footy operations manager Marcus Ashcroft and I had a chat with them as well,” Eade said. “It was a bit of an education process informing them of what’s been happening, but asking them as well if they have been notified by anyone or if they have any information to come forward.

“We haven’t had any players come forward at this stage, so it’s just been business as usual to be honest.”

Suns spokesman Stephen Wilson said last night that before Hunt’s charge, the club had never received any information about cocaine use among players.

He said they remained in the dark on the CCC probe.

“The AFL is on the record saying they have spoken with the CCC, but have no more information than has been aired in the media.”

The CCC has declined to comment.

Sources familiar with the CCC probe say athletes were not the target of the cocaine investigation, rather they were bit players in a network whose key suspected members are in Sydney.

A former AFL official told the Herald Sun that as alert as they have been to the possibility players might have been using drugs, such use is hard to detect if it happens behind closed doors in the off-season.

“We look for changes in behaviour and that sort of thing but it is hard to pick,” the ex-official said.

The AFL has one of the toughest illicit drug testing policies in sport, testing for illegal drugs even outside of the competition season. Victoria Police acting sergeant Melissa Seach said: “Drug use has no place in any sport.”

Think Crisp will do well at the Pies. He was steak knifes in the trade, so even if he can be a bit player in the best 28 or so it is a bonus.

Will be interesting to see what they do with Karni. He has always played well as a forward, and i still dont get why these days you need to take a good HF and try make them a mid. Will Pies try do what we did or just leave him as a forward line player.

http://www.sen.com.au/news/hird-not-going-to-high-court-focus-on-footy

Essendon coach James Hird has announced that he will not be appealing to the High Court after two previous attempts to prove ASADA’s investigation into the club’s supplement program in 2012 was unlawful.

Speaking at a press conference Hird acknowledged the he is still fighting to protect his players but believes it is now time to concentrate on football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is probably Lions footy discussion but I didn't know where else to put it - enjoyable little video Fox Footy put up with a few players impersonating/chatting about Browny. Will edit in a non Facebook link if I can track one down:

(Hopefully not an old video!)

GC looked pretty good today against the Cats. Think they'll be a very tough opponent this year.

Good to see all of the cats players get around Clark after he kicked his first goal.

3 ACLs and we've only played a few praccy matches. Not that it makes any difference but they are big names too. Maybe that will help bring the issue to light a bit more.

I've been trying to work out whether there is a trend. Certainly, there are a lot more ACLs done in the pre-season and first half a dozen rounds in the year. And, without looking at it closely, I feel like it is a lot more prevalent in the under 25 age cohort than the over 25s.

I've been trying to work out whether there is a trend. Certainly, there are a lot more ACLs done in the pre-season and first half a dozen rounds in the year. And, without looking at it closely, I feel like it is a lot more prevalent in the under 25 age cohort than the over 25s.
It feels that way, doesn't it? It feels like the majority "neatly" miss a full season. I have wondered if it is load based.

As an aside, in this recent article it was mentioned the Lions players averaged 330km of running over the 16 weeks of the off-season. That's barely 20k/wk, including less than 1km of sprints. I'm not judging (I'm sure as hell not qualified), but I was a bit surprised it wasn't more.

3 ACLs and we've only played a few praccy matches. Not that it makes any difference but they are big names too. Maybe that will help bring the issue to light a bit more.

Who is the third, only heard/read about Libba and McKenzie.

Anecdotally, I would blame it on the reliance on repeat speed in the modern game. I rarely see a knee done in a collision now, it's usually something innocuous like a landing from a jump or a turn.

With the younger players, it's likely ligaments haven't adjusted to the extra strength and mass they are carrying and the extra g-forces in regards to the stress their muscles can produce when they take off and run or sharp turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back