Society & Culture Non PC sayings from yesteryear

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember driving home from work one day and on Triple M's Rush Hour they had people call in with PC madness.

Nearly crashed and died at some of the things people couldn't do!
One was have a BBQ after work and his manager said no for some outrageous reason.

which had what to do with political correctness exactly?

Illinois Nazi's Law is something to do with Pete Evans I thought.
cdc77e2cc9596b2b81dde09ea1c0efd6.png

There was a black and white minstrels episode in The Goodies which I think has since been banned from being broadcast, I remember watching it as a kid and it never occurred to me it was racist, it was just another funny Goodies episode.

They also had a Rolf Harris episode which has probably been banned now too, even though it's probably funnier with what has happened recently.

Just as 'Godwin's Law' has become an internet adage, I feel that the phenomenon of claiming that 'Political Correctness Has Gone Mad' to describe particular instances that people don't like or disagree with, regardless of how little is has to do with actual political correctness, probably deserves a name...

Been posted before but never stops being pertinent and funny

Some old kids books can be pretty bad, one of the books my old man had as a kid in Rhodesia is called Jock of the Bushveld which has some pretty interesting ideas about race. I think some of the Famous Five books have been re-edited too, so that they aren't quite as sexist.

Read the original Tarzan books! Loved them as a kid but pretty cringe worthy now. They were identifying a skull and could tell by the shape etc not only what race but what class of Caucasian it belonged.
Every female kept fainting etc
Anyway we move on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, Enid Blyton has been given a right run-through, mostly unnecessarily. The golliwogs were always the baddies in Noddy, so they've become "goblins" I believe. I actually don't think a modern kid would strictly equate golliwogs with black people - I certainly never did as a kid, they were just another fictional species.

And I can't remember which series it's from, either the Magic Faraway Tree or the Wishing Chair, but "Fanny" has been renamed "Franny".

On the other hand, I guess George the transgender lesbian from the Famous Five was quite ahead of her time.

It's the Enchanted Wood / Faraway Tree series. Cousin Dick from the 2nd book in the series has been retagged too.

How I was taught to spell ARITHMETIC by my primary school teacher in '77.

A Red Indian Thought He Might Eat Tobacco In Class.

When my older brother would have a big weekend and return home on Sunday, the old man would always say, Áh, the wandering Jew has returned'.

Never trust a Dutchman.

Love Thy Neighbour was full of Nig Nogs and Honkies.

Kingswood Country had Neville the concrete Aboriginal statue out front.

Mind Your Language had all sorts of racial stereotypes in it.

It's the Enchanted Wood / Faraway Tree series. Cousin Dick from the 2nd book in the series has been retagged too.

Enchanted Wood?
Cousin Dick?
Fanny?

Reminds me of the intro credits to blue heelers back in the day, I think it went:
John Wood
Martin Sacks
(someone) Dick

Being an Indian giver....The young bloke at work (18-19yr old) didnt even know what it meant.

Some old kids books can be pretty bad, one of the books my old man had as a kid in Rhodesia is called Jock of the Bushveld which has some pretty interesting ideas about race. I think some of the Famous Five books have been re-edited too, so that they aren't quite as sexist.
Not just kids books, have you read the original Live and Let Die by Fleming?

That's an eye opener to the times that were if there ever was one!

My nan says 'he's working like a n*gger' in reference to people who work hard

So did mine. She said it once when we were living in Africa and had a few black servants. My sister was appalled and said "we don't say that grandma".

Grandma's response: "no you don't work them very hard at all." :oops:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back