Society & Culture Non PC sayings from yesteryear

Remove this Banner Ad

Paki-So it'll hit our shores eventually, England "Oh how did we go against the Paki's in the 20/20 game?"
managed to save myself from being stabbed with the whole "Yeah im an aussie we tend not to be on board with this im sorry"

Grandad-Did some wonderful things with aboriginal issues in his area, Married an aborigional lady, Was one of the only blokes in his time to hire aboriginals, Taught me/mum if anyone ever looked down/made me feel s**t about my background it wasn't ok and take it up with people and nothing would ever change if your treated like s**t and accepted, Would refer to aboriginals as coons. No malice in it, Just a product of his enviroment i guess? Still not alright when you look at it

Paki-So it'll hit our shores eventually, England "Oh how did we go against the Paki's in the 20/20 game?"
managed to save myself from being stabbed with the whole "Yeah im an aussie we tend not to be on board with this im sorry"

Grandad-Did some wonderful things with aboriginal issues in his area, Married an aborigional lady, Was one of the only blokes in his time to hire aboriginals, Taught me/mum if anyone ever looked down/made me feel s**t about my background it wasn't ok and take it up with people and nothing would ever change if your treated like s**t and accepted, Would refer to aboriginals as coons. No malice in it, Just a product of his enviroment i guess? Still not alright when you look at it
Nah, see, I think it was alright at the time. If he meant it in a non derogatory way, and he said it to them straight, and they were ok with it, mutual respect, etc, no problem.

Times have changed and now we're so hung up on never offending someone we've lost perspective a bit.

You could use the same logic to argue that 'nigger' or 'negro' isn't offensive, because they just mean black and saying someone is black is perfectly socially acceptable.

The reality is that certain terms are offensive because of connotations they've acquired over time. 'Curry muncher' has over many decades been used primarily as a racial slur, to demean and dehumanise people of subcontinental origin. The literal meaning of the term is entirely irrelevant.

I don't see why people find this stuff so difficult to understand.
I understand it, I just think it is stupid to allow words to have such power over you. Words can only be offensive if they are allowed to be.
But BF has had this conversation a dozen times before so I'll leave it there.

I understnad your point to an extent, kfc

but at the same time, it's pretty easy to come to that conclusion if you haven't been on the end of said slurs*

*totally making assumptions that you haven't been on the end of said slurs....

it's pretty easy to come to that conclusion if you haven't been on the end of said slurs*
*totally making assumptions that you haven't been on the end of said slurs....
That's the usual assumption people make if you have the opinion I have

(Log in to remove this ad.)

for what it's worth, i don't participate in delivering out racial slurs, because I don't think they're a nice or polite thing to do..

I don't get offended if others use them, but I'll reserve my right to think less of them or to not be impressed with the choices they make...

The point is not really whether a word should be inherently offensive, or whether someone is 'right' or 'wrong' to take offence at the use of the word.

The point is that it is not particularly considerate or respectful of other human beings to refer to them with an epithet that has traditionally been used to denigrate them.

My grandparents still, whenever telling a story, always feel the need to mention the race of every person involved in the story. Anyone who is white is labelled as "Aussie" and others are "darkies". Doesn't help that one of their parents owned a dog called Ni**er.

Well, it's generally considered nowdays to be a derogatory term for a black person (similar to "Golliwog"), and they're using it like a given name, nickname or term of endearment in that story.
Fair enough. Never heard of that before. It's amusing because I have a couple of mates (one male, one female) who both prefer Sambo as a nickname

There's a lunch bar place near where I used to live called "Sambo's" - in this case I believe it's meant to be short for "sandwiches".

I did find it odd how long that Indian restaurant on Swan St in Richmond remained named "Curry Munchers" for. Was at least up until mid last decade I recon.

Just found out that "peanut gallery" has racial origins to do with people of colour seating in a segregated area being known for eating peanuts. Kinda shattered, I liked that phrase, and assumed that it simply alluded to the use of 'peanut' to refer to a simpleton.

Just found out that "peanut gallery" has racial origins to do with people of colour seating in a segregated area being known for eating peanuts. Kinda shattered, I liked that phrase, and assumed that it simply alluded to the use of 'peanut' to refer to a simpleton.
Sounds a bit like one of those things where someone has tried to fit an explanation to the history of the term afterwards.

I'm going to keep using it anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back