Oppo Camp Non-Pie Games RD 5 Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Badly missing Lake. They've got to rely on Kyle Cheney, which is akin to us playing Nick Maxwell as Full Back. He's a good player if he plays the right role in a structure, but Hawthorn's structure is not matching up well on Geelong's at the moment, and he (along with Gibson, who is a scragging Maxwell) are being forced to defend the high balls in 1v1 contests against Hawkins and McIntosh.

Because of that, Geelong's smaller players know that Hawthorn's ability to rebound easily will be limited and they're able to press up really hard to cause more headaches for the Hawks defence. They aren't used to a forward press being so effective. One of the trademarks of Hawthorn's defence is the ability for midfielders to run both ways and defend or provide options out of the back 50, but Geelong are working really hard to lock it in there.

I also think that Geelong have an excellent mix of size and speed, while Hawthorn might be being pushed around just a tad by Geelong's big bodies at the contest. Hawthorn have a lot of outside flankers who have no issues with cracking in, but Geelong just seem to have an assembly line of hard running youngsters who are built like the proverbial.
I would go as far as saying they are also missing Sheonmakers as well, two 195cm key defenders to take the key forwards while Gibson can play 3rd tall or loose down back which is his best position. They have gotten away with Gibson and Cheney as key defense posts so far this year as they havent had to play a team with 50+ goal kicking monster forward, they would be in serious trouble if Hawkins was kicking straight, had him down for 5+ goals and his kicking is letting me down. You are 100%, hopefully Bucks is assessing Hawthorns current weaknesses so we can exploit them in future encounters.

We got closer to Geelong than that.;)
Makes it all the more annoying we couldn't finish the job. Imagine if we had got one up on Geelong and they had beaten the undefeated Hawks. Dammit. The lid will be well and truly off for all geelong supporters, who crawled out of the woodwork back in 2007 and need to be shoved back down there where they belong...!

Oh well, good to know that no team is invincible this season, seeing as I think Geelong are very beatable.

Makes it all the more annoying we couldn't finish the job. Imagine if we had got one up on Geelong and they had beaten the undefeated Hawks.
Huh? If the Cats kicked straight we would have been 6 goals down with 10 minutes to go, we still have a way to go before we can defeat either of those two teams who played today, but thankfully we can improve.

But we can never get that close to the Hawks...:(
That's the positive though, that the Hawks might be past their best, although they did have both tall defenders missing today (Lake and Schoenmakers).

That's the positive though, that the Hawks might be past their best, although they did have both tall defenders missing today (Lake and Schoenmakers).

Let's hope so, however, I still think that the Hawks will be the one's to beat. If we can beat them, then I might change my mind. :cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did anyone notice the umpiring yesterday? I thought it was the best I have seen so far this year. They didn't let the pile ups go on for too long, paid most of the free kicks that were there and also paid a few more incorrect disposals than I have seen.
Good umpiring and it was Razor!

Carlton won?

25gt01c.jpg

Todays game is so even its worthy of a draw.
Given the injuries to Hawthorn, who will be able to stop Tom Hawkins? If Gibson is on him he will be slaughtered, i rate Gibson highly aswell but i cant see him stopping Tom hawkins when hes leading hard or when he is stationary, only way to beat Hawkins is with a 3rd man up every single time, and thats when Hawkins is stationary. Up the other end i dont think Taylor and Lonergan will have to many troubles with Roughead and Gunston.
Tom Hawkins to kick 5+ and cats to win by 8 points
you were pretty much spot on with everything apart from the margin and gunston!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back