Independent Wrestling Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd be a lot more excited if they weren't giving a racist, homophobic prick the biggest push anyone has had in the company since Joe 10 years ago.

Between that, and ROH's continued over reliance on pointless chair shots to the head, and even the New Japan guys (who I watch regularly on NJ World) couldn't get me to watch these shows, despite there actually being quite a few matches there that I'd like to see.

I'd be a lot more excited if they weren't giving a racist, homophobic prick the biggest push anyone has had in the company since Joe 10 years ago.

Between that, and ROH's continued over reliance on pointless chair shots to the head, and even the New Japan guys (who I watch regularly on NJ World) couldn't get me to watch these shows, despite there actually being quite a few matches there that I'd like to see.
Wait, who?

I was hoping not. Thanks.

"The Delaware Senate passed a bill yesterday that allows same sex couples to get married. If that makes you happy, then congratulations!!!!!! ... try and teach my kids that there's nothing wrong with that and I'll f*cking shoot you"

"Damn theres a lot of f-gs out in New York today #WhatTheF-ck"

"To all da hoes, sluts, skanks, he-shes, she-hes and homos that be whorin it up on da eastcoast... this hurricanes for you #GodDont*Around"

And those are just the homophobic ones!

"The Delaware Senate passed a bill yesterday that allows same sex couples to get married. If that makes you happy, then congratulations!!!!!! ... try and teach my kids that there's nothing wrong with that and I'll f*cking shoot you"

"Damn theres a lot of f-gs out in New York today #WhatTheF-ck"

"To all da hoes, sluts, skanks, he-shes, she-hes and homos that be whorin it up on da eastcoast... this hurricanes for you #GodDont****Around"

And those are just the homophobic ones!
I keep forgetting he's got the title. Christ ... Don Douchebag.

I do enjoy Jay Briscoe as a wrestler, but who he is as a person makes it hard for me to support him that much. For that reason I don't support him as champion no matter how badass he looked at Final Battle. At least the guy who gets the title from him will look pretty damn good.

I do enjoy Jay Briscoe as a wrestler, but who he is as a person makes it hard for me to support him that much. For that reason I don't support him as champion no matter how badass he looked at Final Battle. At least the guy who gets the title from him will look pretty damn good.

The problem is that, back when I was watching nearly every show during the Sapolsky era, the contenders were all built amazingly well. You could see who the contenders were, and fans could be confident that they most over guys would be at the top of the card. It made it predictable - but it didn't stop most of the McGuiness, Gibson and Danielson title reigns being excellent. On the contary, people were ready for all those wins (with the possible exception of Gibson, because ROH fans didn't want Punk to ever leave).

From what I understand of ROH (which is really only reading about it on the internet) it's not the case any more. Briscoe wasn't built up particularly well before his title win, and I don't think you can tell who is being built up as the next big guy... perhaps Hansen, but from what I understand he's not really that over with the crowd. They apparently have a disconnect between the booking and the audience that never used to exist.

I have to agree with all of that. They seem to building Briscoe up during his title run by talking about his undefeated streak. At the 13th Anniversary it didn't feel like any of the 3 contenders for title were viable to win the title, also that match was overbooked to s**t but that's another discussion. At Supercard of Honor it didn't feel like Joe would win, and he didn't. The only guy in a title match at the next two events is Bobby Fish? I don't tend to watch ROH's weekly show so it could explain why I'm out of touch with that decision. Bobby Fish is phenomenal but I just don't quite get why he's the contender.

You can definitely tell they're trying to build Hansen up quite a bit, but he's pretty boring so I can see why the crowd doesn't connect with him too much. He just lacks much of a personality. He is fairly decent otherwise.

The problem is that, back when I was watching nearly every show during the Sapolsky era, the contenders were all built amazingly well. You could see who the contenders were, and fans could be confident that they most over guys would be at the top of the card. It made it predictable - but it didn't stop most of the McGuiness, Gibson and Danielson title reigns being excellent. On the contary, people were ready for all those wins (with the possible exception of Gibson, because ROH fans didn't want Punk to ever leave).

From what I understand of ROH (which is really only reading about it on the internet) it's not the case any more. Briscoe wasn't built up particularly well before his title win, and I don't think you can tell who is being built up as the next big guy... perhaps Hansen, but from what I understand he's not really that over with the crowd. They apparently have a disconnect between the booking and the audience that never used to exist.

Yeah, I totally get that. I think the booking has been a bit hit and miss since Delirious took over. I am definitely more of a NJPW fan than an ROH fan, but I felt like they really nailed it on last years War of the Worlds show.

Also, I guess I am partial to a lot of the talent that I have seen in PWG (my favorite promotion ) so seeing guys like ACH, Roddy, Adam Cole, Sydal, Elgin against the best of *NJPW (*minus Ibushi) is basically a dream card for me.

I'm watching Global Wars at the moment, and ROH really need to up their production quality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

that's up to Sinclair. Apparently they are known tightarses
I know but it's still an issue. The lights went out twice during Cedric Alexander v Kazuchika Okada, there was lots of awful transitions and just general low quality things that would seem not seem inviting to new viewers.
I've been tempted to watch that. Any highlights?
Moose and Gedo v Young and Watanabe was a decent match. Moose just gets better.
Kushida v Sabin v O'Reilly was a great match.
Okada v Alexander was a good one apart from the lights going out twice...
The three way tag was pretty good too.
Nakamura v ACH was a good one too.
I'm just about to watch the main event.

The other matches I didn't care about, but others may enjoy them. I can't comment on night 2.

I know but it's still an issue. The lights went out twice during Cedric Alexander v Kazuchika Okada, there was lots of awful transitions and just general low quality things that would seem not seem inviting to new viewers.

Moose and Gedo v Young and Watanabe was a decent match. Moose just gets better.
Kushida v Sabin v O'Reilly was a great match.
Okada v Alexander was a good one apart from the lights going out twice...
The three way tag was pretty good too.
Nakamura v ACH was a good one too.
I'm just about to watch the main event.

The other matches I didn't care about, but others may enjoy them. I can't comment on night 2.
Nice.

But yeah ... looks like I could get really distracted by the clumsy production.

Tommy Dreamer's House of Hardcore will debut this December in Australia with a combined show, working with Outback Championship Wrestling. House of Hardcore will debut in Canada this July.

I believe that's in Melbourne.

RING OF HONOR SECURES NATIONAL CABLE TV DEAL AND YOU WILL NEVER GUESS WHERE
By Mike Johnson on 2015-05-27 13:21:26

I am not making this up.

Ring of Honor will debut on Destination America next Wednesday 6/3 at 8 PM. It will be the first time since ROH debuted in February 2002 that the promotion is seen on a national cable outlet weekly.

That effectively means that ROH is now the lead-in for TNA Impact Wrestling. What this means for TNA on the network remains to be seen.

I have calls into ROH. More as I get it on this breaking story.

RING OF HONOR SECURES NATIONAL CABLE TV DEAL AND YOU WILL NEVER GUESS WHERE
By Mike Johnson on 2015-05-27 13:21:26

I am not making this up.

Ring of Honor will debut on Destination America next Wednesday 6/3 at 8 PM. It will be the first time since ROH debuted in February 2002 that the promotion is seen on a national cable outlet weekly.

That effectively means that ROH is now the lead-in for TNA Impact Wrestling. What this means for TNA on the network remains to be seen.

I have calls into ROH. More as I get it on this breaking story.

If ROH have 26 weeks, and if TNA only has until September, it would suggest that TNA is being used to try and build an audience for ROH beyond September - and then DA will decide at some point after that whether ROH is a going concern.

What it means for TNA on the network? I would imagine they're gone. And the fact they've brought in another wrestling show is an indictment on TNA, because it suggests that DA still wanted wrestling - they just didn't want to deal with TNA's bullshit.

A damn shame, cos TNA's show has been pretty good recently - but I've found ROH impossible to get into since I stopped watching in 08, it's a promotion stuck in the past.

Apparently DA reckons they put too much money into TNA and don't get enough ratings and ads out of it, so ROH is a cheaper and better option for them. My only concern with ROH being on cable TV is that their poor production value will probably be shown. Hopefully DA can put a little bit of money into ROH to try and improve those production values.

I like ROH, but the production isn't very good compared to TNA and it's awful compared to WWE.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back