Opinion North games and drinking alcohol

Remove this Banner Ad

ansonholt

Premiership Player
May 12, 2009
All in Sunbury
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Okay, so I'm not personally a big drinker, but I enjoy alcohol now and then, and it seems like I'm always compelled to have a drink when we win, not so often when we lose. But then again, sometimes alcohol is a way of measuring your excitement or disappointment.

For example, although I loved the Port win in round 3, I didn't drink because I had to work the next day. However, I was so happy with the win against Sydney, I didn't care and had a few drinks anyway.

Questions for discussion:
1. Do you drink at all after North games?
2. Do you drink when we win, lose, or both, or does it depend on the magnitude of the win (or loss)?
3. Do you drink different things, or whatever's going?
4. How much? Just one and move on, or a really big session? If the latter, has that session cost your more than just for the alcohol (ie. job, relationship, apartment trashed, etc.)

Myself, I have a four pack of Bundy & coke in the fridge ready to celebrate a huge win over the pies, or drown my sorrows (if req.). Either way, I'm having a drink. If we win big, I expect it will all go. If we lose, just one and then bed, probably. My drinking won't cost me because I've got nothing to do on Sunday and a stable relationship (18 years...).

Curious to know your thoughts. I expect marklovesbeer will be all over this one. :D

Yep.
2. Do you drink when we win, lose, or both, or does it depend on the magnitude of the win (or loss)?
Both.
Beer and bourbon. If I'm broke and at home, sometimes the cask wine.
4. How much? Just one and move on, or a really big session? If the latter, has that session cost your more than just for the alcohol (ie. job, relationship, apartment trashed, etc.)
Until I'm sloshed/paralytic and spewing up really. Doesn't cost me anything if I have nothing too big of note to really begin with.

sometimes
both
whatever's going
one or two, not a big drinker generally

Whether or not we've won a game of footy doesn't dictate if I drink or not. Might have a glass of red or two with Mrs Baz, or whatever beer might be in the fridge (I like to try different beers), Southern Comfort is my liquor of choice. Would probably have a drink once or twice a week.

These a general rules, but I will own up to having a few extra reds after last weeks win as this post in a thread I had started a couple of hours beforehand proves to http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/oooouuuuuuttttttttt.1058159/#post-32542166

Win a grand final and all rules go out the window ;)

I'm also a not a big drinker at the footy, apart from the fact that it's too bloody expensive, I like to concentrate on the game.

Nothing like a seven dollar plastic cup of flat mid-strength. Probably not ideal but footy and drinking are pretty much inseparable for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EvoMagento-WENT229PU-PE-3-LT_1.jpg

Have been to nearly 500 North games but have only had a drink at one of them - on a trip to Sydney in 2000 where they were handing them out for free in a corporate box. No driving home + free alcohol = why not? Got completely off my chops and enjoyed a good win, but paid for it the next day. Usually I'm too immersed in the game and too tight to fork out for the sub-standard beers on offer at the game.

I'm probably too old now to have "a big session" and usually have one or both of my kids in tow so I never go out after a game. But after a win I'll always go home and have a beer or three. After a loss I usually get on here and vent! Through no design I'll probably have more depending on the quality of the win. For instance, after the Dogs win I probably had one, but after Port and Swans I'd have had three. I guess it's just the mood I find myself in.

After the 1996 and 1999 Grand Finals I think I kept myself rather clean. I certainly enjoyed both nights, can't recall how much I consumed, but I recall fronting up fresh as a daisy to the family days on the Sunday.

April 6th 1990 V Richmond was my last big outing AT the footy.

24 years ago......I still feel guilty.

Full strength cans. VB. Friday night. Bottom deck of old Sth Stand.

Scores

NMFC 32.17. 209 def Rich 9.14. 68

Horse kicked 12 FWIW.

12 goals that is.

North by 141 pts.

I remember catchin the tram down Swan St and a fellow Roo coming up to me and telling me this is the start...this is the start....this is the START!

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/games/1990/121419900406.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I felt like I must've been at least tipsy for every one of our friday night games in the 80's and 90's, win, lose or draw. Not once since 2000 though.

All during and post game evidence of alcohol consumption is revealed in the "changes" thread after each game ansonholt, particularly following a loss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

April 6th 1990 V Richmond was my last big outing AT the footy.

24 years ago......I still feel guilty.

Full strength cans. VB. Friday night. Bottom deck of old Sth Stand.

Scores

NMFC 32.17. 209 def Rich 9.14. 68

Horse kicked 12 FWIW.

12 goals that is.

North by 141 pts.

I remember catchin the tram down Swan St and a fellow Roo coming up to me and telling me this is the start...this is the start....this is the START!

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/games/1990/121419900406.html

13 goal first quarter? Anyone know where i can get a copy of that game haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really a survey as such, just thought it was a topic worth discussing :)

The wife and I decided we'd drink tonight regardless of whether North won or lost. Yes, she barracks for North as well, thankfully.

I always have a beer while watching the footy, if the game is close I usually and blind by the end of it. Going to games being its only mid strength I go for the 2 beers a quarter formula. The last few years as I am older in playing terms i hated friday night fixtures in a way. I had to play the next day but couldn't do it hung over like i used to in the early to mid 20s. Had to hydrate all day then keep it to 4 or 5 so I wouldn't wake up knackered. Retired now so its hell for leather.

Interesting thread.

I do love my beer.
Lots of different types of beer. Big on the boutique stuff, the obscure craft breweries & hard to come by brews.

However, being from Adelaide I'll watch most games on TV as opposed to being there live, so I always have a carton of beer in the fridge & when I'm watching footy on TV I like something easy to drink & nice to slam back without thinking too much. I guess I'd call it my sports beer.

My 'sports beers' are beers like Hahn Super Dry, Budweiser & West End Draught. Frowned upon in beer snob circles but perfect for my drinking style when watching sports. I drink more as the game goes on usually. This isn't because I'm getting drunker but because it's getting more intense, making me more angry or getting more exciting (because we are kicking goals). I noticed quite a spike in this drinking style lat season with so many close nerve wracking games.

Obviously a lot depends on time of day & weekend & also being a hospitality worker, a lot depends on when I'm working next. My job as a barman on the Indian Pacific & Ghan trains travelling across the country requires us to front up with no alcohol reading whatsoever if we have one of the frequent random bretho's at the start of a trip.

For your average Satdi arvo though I'll have a beer before the game or a couple if I'm cooking a barbie & usually just one a quarter for the first half & then from half time onwards I could have anywhere between 2 & 4 more each quarter depending on how the game is going.

I always iQ the games on my foxtel to watch back later so I can analyse it a bit more & remember anything I may have forgotten &/or pick up anything I may have missed & obviously just to enjoy it if it's been a good win.

Post game depends a lot of what I said above, re; work.
If I'm off for a few days & we've had a win it will usually end up being a pretty big night & if it's a Friday or Saturday I'll usually make a night on the town with some mates out of it. Unfortunately I don't have any NMFC supporting friends so the celebrations can be a little one sided, but they love their footy & a drink themselves so I can still bathe in the glow of the team playing well.
As for when we lose it can be much the same but I'm definitely in a more 'down' mood. It seriously ruins my week, as I'm sure a lot of you guys would know the feeling.
I had a blokes party at my joint for the round 1 game. 10 guys around & we were drinking everything from craft beers from the wineries along the riverland, to straight rum, to $90 bottles of red wine & had a heap of American style 'dude food' with wings & ribs etc.
It was a great night but the footy result was just so disappointing that I wanted to erase it from my memory. Alcohol can help do that! But when my blurry eyes checked the paper the next day Essendon still has the 4 points.

I do feel that it's not necessarily the fact whether it's a win or a loss that affects how much I drink, but more like how we play. If we play really well or really bad I definitely drink more. An average four goal win against the demons for example won't see me swinging from the rafters with a cigar in my mouth & Jack Daniels bottle hanging out my bum.

It has lead to a few arguments between myself & my beautiful girlfriend over the years, but she understands a lot more now how passionate I am about the club as opposed to when she first met me & thought I was a weirdo to be fighting back tears after a last minute win.
This doesn't however excuse me from acting like a dickhead after downing twenty stubbies.
I've definitely learnt a lot about enjoying my 'sports beers' in moderation over the past 18 months.

The Sydney win was awesome the other day & although my girlfriend wasn't keen to kick on as she had to work the following morning I was able to find a drinking buddy in one of my Crow supporting work colleges who also wanted to celebrate, so we kicked on & had a pretty large Sunday night.
I had to sleep on the couch that night & felt pretty rough at senior first aid training the next day but a good win is a good win & after the some of the recent heartbreak we've endured as supporters of this great club I don't think there would be too many footy fans out there who wouldn't agree that sometimes you've just got to raise your glass.

I've included the photo below just to prove that I did attend my first aid course on Monday...

Cheers.
image.jpg

Not really a survey as such, just thought it was a topic worth discussing :)

The wife and I decided we'd drink tonight regardless of whether North won or lost. Yes, she barracks for North as well, thankfully.
Not sponsored by CUB?

I never drink at games, but as I now live in cairns and the roos are hardly ever on free to air, I watch it at the pub. In the early days, there were a few boozy sessions caused by a combination of back to back footy games and homesickness. Calmed down a fair bit now. Kids will do that to you. All bets are off on grand final day tho!

Im generally in rounds if I meet up with dudes, might have a few sneakies if by myself. I used to be fairly regular consumer of booze and tobacco but not so much anymore so footy tends to be my opportunity to drink and smoke.

Today could be a bit boozy though. Heading out after the game.

Not a big drinker (partially because I'm cheap and don't enjoy the taste all that much). I drink to get pissed though so whatever is free will do me just fine (although free champagne and wine at weddings has reminded me on the odd occasion why alcohol is the devil).

Love watching footy with mates on Saturday's, playing FIFA, and rocking up to a bar/club well on my way. Start drinking at 12 and gradually build up from there.

Won $500 on the Cats v St Kilda grand final so that day was a mess, received a life ban from my favourite bar (got the flick early on for telling a cats supporter North were the better team which caused some anger. I thought if I lined up another 3 times (with different people) they wouldn't notice...they did. The night finished with me trying to sprint past the bouncers and back inside. I made it in but was dispatched quickly by 4 of them. A couple of them threw in some rib ticklers...I don't blame them, on reflection I would do it to me too.)

I don't remember any of it but my mates remind me regularly and some of the footage was shown to me by the bar manager a week later. After 6 months they let me back in.

Go North!

Well I didn't drink at the game today. On top of the sh1t on the field I bought some dim sims at the outside food van and managed to douse myself in soy sauce from those stupid big squirting bottles. Then half way through my dim sims I realised they weren't cooked through and were half raw!

I WILL be drinking tonight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back