North Melbourne Now Compared to Geelong 05-06

Remove this Banner Ad

That's a fairly simplistic view. In 2007 fans could have said Geelong don't have:

Voss
Lappin
Akermanis
Power
Brown

And they most certainly don't have Leigh Matthews.

Seriously mate, who could possibly stand up to anyone we have mentioned.

We are not Geelong in 2007, people need to stop.

"North Melbourne Now Compared to Geelong 05-06...."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAAHAHHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAAHAHHA
.................oK I am good now and have composed myself. Carry on !!!

We have all heard past Geelong players, Lingy, Harley, Cam Moooney etc etc, mention they feel our current team reminds them of what Geelong was like back in 05-06.

I personally have never really taken notice much of this, ofc the dream is amazing because we all know what Geelong have been able to achieve, and if we could achieve half of that, we'd all be very lucky.

But watching Open Mike on Monday Night, hearing Cam Mooney talk candidly about Geelong in 05-06, I can see some very big similarities between our current team and Geelong.

Cam mentioned that one of the biggest problems was that the players were all great mates, and while it was great, they were unable to pull each other in when one made a mistake.

Our leadership dramas have been well spoken about, and this year so far we seem to have taken more control on the field, but I am yet to see a senior player or even a junior try and pull another player in when a fatal mistake is made such as a structural issue or a mistake that goes against our game plan and how we want to play.

Are our players too close? Are they able to step up and pull each other in if one makes a mistake?

Would love to get everyone's point of view.

I actually saw NDS give a player a spray on Saturday (can't remember who) for missing a simple target by 10m and the ball went OOB. I loved it.

I actually saw NDS give a player a spray on Saturday (can't remember who) for missing a simple target by 10m and the ball went OOB. I loved it.
Yeah was Black. Would like to see Atley/Mulley/LMac deliver yhe same sort of sprays but unfortunately they are they ones spraying the ball.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

any of you that have posted in this thread even read the OP?? abby makes a very valid point. who is it in our team that is directing the younger guys? who is pulling thdm into line when they are not following the "easy fixes" set by Super Brad?

Leaving aside your efforts to revive the "Bye Bye Brad" thread, I thought the same thing. I think Abby needs to edit the title of this thread to better reflect his actual question, unfortunately people see the comparison and understandably say "Not this s**t agan". I know I did, until I actually read the OP.

On this comparison between the two clubs, I heard big Hank asked what noticable difference there was between North and G-Town, from his observations and being mindful not to disrespect his old club where he still has close ties. He thought for a moment then said "I think the thing which has struck me the most is how hard the Geelong players are on each other, both in game and at training, demanding perfection and maximum effort from each other at all times."

Leaving aside your efforts to revive the "Bye Bye Brad" thread, I thought the same thing. I think Abby needs to edit the title of this thread to better reflect his actual question, unfortunately people see the comparison and understandably say "Not this s**t agan". I know I did, until I actually read the OP.
ha ha, I haven't posted in that thread since the Port game. Like I said, if we beat Port I'll stay away until the end of the year. What I'm saying in this thread is if we have another soft game then Scott has no opion but to go hard on the players, at the same time giving senior players the licence to do the same. Ablett didn't become the player he is today until team mates pulled him into line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On this comparison between the two clubs, I heard big Hank asked what noticable difference there was between North and G-Town, from his observations and being mindful not to disrespect his old club where he still has close ties. He thought for a moment then said "I think the thing which has struck me the most is how hard the Geelong players are on each other, both in game and at training, demanding perfection and maximum effort from each other at all times."
I bet Geelong players dont laugh and joke around playing Paper Rock Scissors. Guys would get smashed for throwing down two Rocks in a row!

And for those needing a refresher, Geelong just lost a prelim in 2004, in 2005 they had Nick Davis happen after winninga final and then they went off the rails and regrouped.

In comparison in 2011 we missed the finals, in 2012 we got smashed in a final after limping in there and in 2013 choked on a number of occasions finishing 10th.

STOP COMPARING US TO THEM IT WILL ONLY HURT YOU

And for those needing a refresher, Geelong just lost a prelim in 2004, in 2005 they had Nick Davis happen after winninga final and then they went off the rails and regrouped.

In comparison in 2011 we missed the finals, in 2012 we got smashed in a final after limping in there and in 2013 choked on a number of occasions finishing 10th.

STOP COMPARING US TO THEM IT WILL ONLY HURT YOU

We just missed out on winning a prelim because we lost so many games during each of the last few years.

Don't let this guide you away from the fact we are similar to geelong. I have no doubt if we made the 2012 prelim we could have lost it closely.

Imagine the writer of the OP expecting that people might read the OP before commenting. ;)

I watched Cam Mooney on Open Mike (it was a brilliant interview by the way) and thought the same thing. That is, North is full of potential but seems to lack the hard edge required to go from good to great ... just as Mooney said Geelong once did.

Agree or disagree, you cant deny the fact that YOU ALL would love to have 7 years of sustained success.

To not go to the football last Saturday and feel the heart sinking half way through the second quarter knowing that they haven't turned up to play this week.

Imagine a whole season where you lost 2 to 3 games and then smashed through in the GF.

Two Brownlows.

???

Everyone needs to stop with this rubish

We have no Ablett
We have no Bartel
We have no Enright
We have no Corey

We also most importantly don't have Bomber Thompson

I agree with you but never forget that a lot of the Cats players hadn't achieved all that much prior to 2007. The four you mention had played between 91 and 132 games prior to them starting that winning streak and only Bartel had played in more winning games than losing games.

In his first five years (2002-2006), Gary Ablett never averaged more than 18.5 disposals per game. He then went at 26 in 07, 28 in 08 and 30+ every year since then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back