B: Michael Firrito, Scott Thompson, Luke McDonald

HB: Nathan Grima, Lachie Hansen, Shaun Higgins

C: Daniel Wells, Jack Ziebell, Nick Dal Santo

HF: Aaron Black, Jarrad Waite, Brent Harvey

F: Lindsay Thomas, Drew Petrie, Kayne Turner

FOLL: Todd Goldstein, Ben Cunnington, Andrew Swallow

I/C: Sam Gibson, Shaun Atley, Sam Wright, Jamie Macmillan

Not picked: Ryan Bastinac, Leigh Adams, Ben Brown, Aaron Mullett, Joel Tippett

Free agent acquisitions Jarrad Waite and Shaun Higgins go straight into the starting 18 in a line-up that certainly looks capable of finishing in the top four, with some quality players missing out. Macmillan is the forgotten man after missing most of last season with a broken leg.

Source: http://www.news.com.au/sport/breaki...ho-makes-the-cut/story-fnect155-1227194808450

Interesting article. Not sure how Ben Brown wouldn't make the best 22, I think he will play CHF and Waite will play the other flank, without Ben that would mean Petrie would have to ruck.

I think our struggles with the key forwards in all 3 finals games will likely see Tippett be pushed to play, or perhaps Tarrant, we had our pants pulled down by KPFs, our defenders were undersized against the most dangerous forwards.

Very interesting, a lot of injury problems last year made it fairly easy for guys to get games without too much stress about who to drop because we always had a lot of players injured, will be curious who gets picked when everyone is available.
Totally agree with your comments below the article.
Not much more I would add.

One thing (one of many actually) I will be interested in this year will be whether or not Kayne Turner fits in or how long for if he has a couple of games in a row where he doesn't have much impact. It's still very, very early days for him. I'm not sure he will play Round 1.

Totally agree with your comments below the article.
Not much more I would add.

One thing (one of many actually) I will be interested in this year will be whether or not Kayne Turner fits in or how long for if he has a couple of games in a row where he doesn't have much impact. It's still very, very early days for him. I'm not sure he will play Round 1.

Yeah, he will be an interesting case, I don't think he will be over-played but I guess it comes down to form, anyone who starts out really strong will be hard to drop. Ultimately, that is the environment you want to have.

Not saying we should go after him as I think our ruck stocks are pretty good. Besides, I couldn't see him wanting to leave GC playing second fiddle to Nicholls, to joining us and playing second fiddle to Goldy.
... I forgot who Devon plays for.

The other interesting omission is Nahas. I realise he's a rookie but he's a bit stiff going from best 22 before he was injured, to now completely off the radar.
Would Mullett's injury be sufficient for Nahas to get the upgrade? Dunno if he would even be eligible.

Would Mullett's injury be sufficient for Nahas to get the upgrade? Dunno if he would even be eligible.

I don't think pre-season injuries count, he would have to be assessed at round 1 as being 8+ weeks away from returning. He is due back round 7 so I have doubts he would qualify.

I don't think pre-season injuries count, he would have to be assessed at round 1 as being 8+ weeks away from returning. He is due back round 7 so I have doubts he would qualify.
Fair enough, thanks. Realistically then Nahas can't be considered anyway in that case.

Fair enough, thanks. Realistically then Nahas can't be considered anyway in that case.

Well, Tarant is on the list. I really hope he has a good run of it but if I was a player I wouldn't count myself out of the race when there is a LTI injury prone player on the list.

After round 10 I believe we can elevate a rookie so it is just the short-term which is an issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way I see it, we have around 14 players I would call automatic selections, then another 5 who you would just about call automatics, but they are the ones with still some minor question marks over their position. The main point, though, is that we then have a squad of 17 players who are all worthy of senior selection, whether based on past and recent form or having shown more than enough in their development. Sure, some will go backwards rather than forwards or might just fall of the perch and languish in the 2s, but it is a pretty big pool of contenders. We only have 5 players on our senior list, plus 4 rookies that we don't need to expect too much of in 2015, but after last year, who knows what we might see from our new kids anyway. All in all, I reckon we can pick 19 of our starting 22 for round 1, leaving 3 spots up for grabs. And if you include the typical 1-3 injuries/suspensions to best 22 players that seems about the norm, then that lottery of 17 players fighting for 4 or 5 spots will make for some big selection debates both here and at Arden Street throughout the year.

Automatic selections, when fit:
Swallow
Harvey
Wells
NDS
Cunnington
JZ
Goldy
Thompson
Hansen
Thomas
Petrie
Atley
Gibson *just remember, has never been dropped, since debut 3 seasons ago
MacMillan *I know some would see JMac in the next list

Pencil them in, as would need a horrific run of form to be dropped:
Higgins - yet to play for the club, and missed games last year at the Dogs, but likely to become an automatic pick
Waite - same as Higgins
McDonald - spot is his, but still a teenager, so maybe some 2nd year blues
Black - coming off an ordinary, injured season, so expect him to step back up
Wright - late year exploits earn him a berth, but will need to hold that form to become automatic

The Contenders, Make your claims for a spot:
Basti
Adams
Turner
Brown
Firrito
McMahon
Grima
Tippett
Tarrant
Daw
Jacobs
Harper
Garner
McKenzie
Wood
Dumont
Nahas

LTI, Backup, and Development:
Mullett
Currie
Warren
Wallace
Durdin
Nielsen
EVW
Fordham
Preuss

The way I see it, we have around 14 players I would call automatic selections, then another 5 who you would just about call automatics, but they are the ones with still some minor question marks over their position. The main point, though, is that we then have a squad of 17 players who are all worthy of senior selection, whether based on past and recent form or having shown more than enough in their development. Sure, some will go backwards rather than forwards or might just fall of the perch and languish in the 2s, but it is a pretty big pool of contenders. We only have 5 players on our senior list, plus 4 rookies that we don't need to expect too much of in 2015, but after last year, who knows what we might see from our new kids anyway. All in all, I reckon we can pick 19 of our starting 22 for round 1, leaving 3 spots up for grabs. And if you include the typical 1-3 injuries/suspensions to best 22 players that seems about the norm, then that lottery of 17 players fighting for 4 or 5 spots will make for some big selection debates both here and at Arden Street throughout the year.

Automatic selections, when fit:
Swallow
Harvey
Wells
NDS
Cunnington
JZ
Goldy
Thompson
Hansen
Thomas
Petrie
Atley
Gibson *just remember, has never been dropped, since debut 3 seasons ago
MacMillan *I know some would see JMac in the next list

Pencil them in, as would need a horrific run of form to be dropped:
Higgins - yet to play for the club, and missed games last year at the Dogs, but likely to become an automatic pick
Waite - same as Higgins
McDonald - spot is his, but still a teenager, so maybe some 2nd year blues
Black - coming off an ordinary, injured season, so expect him to step back up
Wright - late year exploits earn him a berth, but will need to hold that form to become automatic

The Contenders, Make your claims for a spot:
Basti
Adams
Turner
Brown
Firrito
McMahon
Grima
Tippett
Tarrant
Daw
Jacobs
Harper
Garner
McKenzie
Wood
Dumont
Nahas

LTI, Backup, and Development:
Mullett
Currie
Warren
Wallace
Durdin
Nielsen
EVW
Fordham
Preuss

Bold are the ones I want to see make a 22 spot their own.

Bold are the ones I want to see make a 22 spot their own.
Good calls TPA.
If Turner carries on from where he left off last year, with a few more kilos of muscle, then a spot is his. He gets so many endorsements, including Boomer and Archer, so is obviously highly regarded.
I reckon Basti will be in a mini contest with Jacobs and Dumont for the Greenwood spot and has enough class to become a regular again. Good to see he has bulked up nicely too.
Grima, likewise, with have his own playoff against Tippett and Tarrant. Would love to see him reach his 100 game milestone.
Wood and Harper are our potential game breakers. If this happens on the back of hot form from the 2 of them, then we will be playing some pretty exciting footy.
The beauty of the situation is that I won't have a problem with any of that list being selected. There is a serious shortage of spuds in the squad, No. 11 aside. Certainly going to sort the wheat out from the chaff this year.

Good calls TPA.
If Turner carries on from where he left off last year, with a few more kilos of muscle, then a spot is his. He gets so many endorsements, including Boomer and Archer, so is obviously highly regarded.
I reckon Basti will be in a mini contest with Jacobs and Dumont for the Greenwood spot and has enough class to become a regular again. Good to see he has bulked up nicely too.
Grima, likewise, with have his own playoff against Tippett and Tarrant. Would love to see him reach his 100 game milestone.
Wood and Harper are our potential game breakers. If this happens on the back of hot form from the 2 of them, then we will be playing some pretty exciting footy.
The beauty of the situation is that I won't have a problem with any of that list being selected. There is a serious shortage of spuds in the squad, No. 11 aside. Certainly going to sort the wheat out from the chaff this year.

I can see a couple of guys leaving for greater opportunity at the end of 2015.

I can see a couple of guys leaving for greater opportunity at the end of 2015.
I think no doubt about that, especially if we have a good year with few injuries. There may be some quality players stuck the 2s. But there is also that carrot of the premiership possibility and the opportunities for players on the fringe with a handful of likely retirements over the coming 3 or so years. Makes for some challenging list management.
Who could you see leaving? And who could you accept leaving?

I think no doubt about that, especially if we have a good year with few injuries. There may be some quality players stuck the 2s. But there is also that carrot of the premiership possibility and the opportunities for players on the fringe with a handful of likely retirements over the coming 3 or so years. Makes for some challenging list management.
Too many. Very few.

I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really want Basti to have a breakout year to the point where he's an automatic selection. He's absolute class when he's up and about and is almost a perfectly well-rounded footballer when he's at his best. A few years ago I thought he would end up the best of our young mids but he hasn't taken that next step that I anticipated. I don't know if it's a mental thing or a lazy thing or what but I really hope he can go to that next level.

Wood, McKenzie are the two obvious one for me.

Both are behind a few players in the pecking order.

McKenzie leaving wouldn't be a huge deal IMO.

But I'm a fan of Mason, so I'd like to see him break into the side and stay in there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back