Opinion North Melbourne's best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

To those that have listed him there...

If Atley is doing all the sessions with the midfield why would we be putting him in the back 6?

Sounds counter intuitive to me.

Players often train with the midfield group only to then return to their usual position for the season. In fact, Atley's done it before.

B: Luke McDonald, Scott Thompson, Lachlan Hansen
HB: Shaun Higgins, Jarrad Waite, Shaun Atley
C: Daniel Wells, Jack Ziebell, Nick Dal Santo
HF: Brent Harvey, Robbie Tarrant, Aaron Black
F: Lindsay Thomas, Drew Petrie, Ben Brown
R: Todd Goldstein, Ben Cunnington, Andrew Swallow
INT: Jamie Macmillan, Sam Gibson, Leigh Adams
SUB: Kayne Turner

Hear me out. Waite started at Carlton on the backline and with Grima injured he could be forced to move there and let an inexperienced player like Tarrant play a game on the small defenders of Adelaide. North'll need the extra height due to Walker, Jenkins, Podsiadly down there, all three can play. Wood could also play instead of Tarrant or they can keep Waite forward and play Tippett or Nielson down back. But I would rather an experienced Waite playing on the three Adelaide forwards.

Depth: Ryan Bastinac, Mason Wood, Trent Dumont, Michael Firrito, Sam Wright, Brad McKenzie also waiting in the wings and pushing for selection.

I was pretty keen on playing Waite at chb when we snagged him but from all reports he's only been training as a forward. I really like the idea of Waite swapping from CHB to deep forward throughout games. This would still Allow us to play Black And Brown in the same side. If our midfield got on top we could have stages in games where all four could play forward.

I reckon the bolded probably will miss round 1.

Jesus.

That's a big call.

So based on that, I can only assume your 22 to be flogged by Adelaide is the following:

Firitto - Tippett - Wright
MacMillan - Thompson - McDonald
Atley - Cunnington - Dal Santo
Harvey - Petrie - Black
Thomas - Waite - Ziebell
Goldstein - Swallow - Wells
Higgins Bastinac Gibson Dumont?

Em: Hansen, Turner, Brown, Wood, Garner, Harper, McKenzie.

I will spew up if that's the team we pick. Sure it can win, but its still nowhere ;)

Jesus.

That's a big call.

So based on that, I can only assume your 22 to be flogged by Adelaide is the following:

Harvey - Petrie - Black
Thomas - Waite - Ziebell

I will spew up if that's the team we pick. Sure it can win, but its still nowhere ;)

If Lachie is fit he plays.

Harper as an emergency is a laugh.

What I think is that who people want as their best 22 and who lines up round 1 will be very different.

Jesus.

That's a big call.

Harvey - Petrie - Black
Thomas - Waite - Ziebell

Best 22 you've ever posted, Arj.

I think its Fair to say Everyone in the Leadership Group if fit starts Rnd 1 or am i being to Bold..

I think its Fair to say Everyone in the Leadership Group if fit starts Rnd 1 or am i being to Bold..
Yeah, I pointed out that glaring flaw in Arjen's last proper lineup. But it's sort of like telling a lazy dog not to poop on your bed pillow.

Yeah, I pointed out that glaring flaw in Arjen's last proper lineup. But it's sort of like telling a lazy dog not to poop on your bed pillow.
Turner starts also for me he played 3 Finals.. I think B.Scott will go with a tried and true line up for rnd 1.. Wood,Daumont,Harper,Garner etc will have to work their way into the team during the year cause of depth its the way he coaches

Turner starts also for me he played 3 Finals.. I think B.Scott will go with a tried and true line up for rnd 1.. Wood,Daumont,Harper,Garner etc will have to work their way into the team during the year cause of depth its the way he coaches
Most likely. Only on a few occasions did he get excited about new toys and play with them out of the box.

Most likely. Only on a few occasions did he get excited about new toys and play with them out of the box.
Yes true Mcdonald and Turner kept their positions after first game but they are rare talent

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes true Mcdonald and Turner kept their positions after first game but they are rare talent
I was thinking giving them games immediately, like Lukey. Ziebell and Cunnington too, if memory serves me correctly.

edit: Wrong about Cunners, took until round 5.

Yeah i see.. unless he rips it up in Nab i agree with others that Brown might be the unlucky one cause of Waite but he will be next in.. The only others who might steal a spot cause of injuries are Taz,Durdin,Neilson in my opinion..

I doubt Brad and the selection committee have pre-determined the opening round team prior to testing things with the NAB cup. If any of Wood, Dumont, McKenzie, Brown, Nahas, or even a first year like Nielson, tear things up in the NAB games, there will be a lot of rejigging of starting 22s for round 1. Mind you this thread has already started confusing best 22 and round 1 likely starting 22.

I think now with Grima out and everyone else available

Firrito - Thompson - Wright
Atley - Tarrant - Dal Santo
Gibson - Cunnington - Wells
Harvey - Brown - Waite
Turner - Petrie - Thomas
Goldstein - Swallow - Ziebell
Int: McMillan, Higgins, McDonald. Sub: Bastinac

The only reason i have Brown in the team as we need to play 2 ruckmen, so i chose him instead of Black as Black, Petrie or Waite wont second ruck.

Very hard to fit everyone in.

I think now with Grima out and everyone else available

Firrito - Thompson - Wright
Atley - Tarrant - Dal Santo
Gibson - Cunnington - Wells
Harvey - Brown - Waite
Turner - Petrie - Thomas
Goldstein - Swallow - Ziebell
Int: McMillan, Higgins, McDonald. Sub: Bastinac

The only reason i have Brown in the team as we need to play 2 ruckmen, so i chose him instead of Black as Black, Petrie or Waite wont second ruck.

Very hard to fit everyone in.

No Hansen? Reacher, is that you?

Also, why do you say Petrie won't second ruck? He rucks every game when Brown doesn't play (and Daw doesn't).

Hansen wont play so most likely Round 1 defence:

MacMillan - Tippett - Firitto
McDonald - Thompson - Atley

With, Tippett taking Jenkins, Firitto on Walker, MacMillan on Cameron, Thompson kinda on Lynch, McDonald on Betts, Atley kinda on Douglas.

Having Hansen, Tarrant , Wright, Nielson, Durdin and Mullet as other options when they return to full fitness/gain experience is pretty bloody good depth. Grima is just about done.

Like your back 6 although I don't think Macmillan is in the right spot. He is an average defender and better used as a utility and link up player further afield.

I'd be surprised if Grima plays another game for us. Good luck to him in his recovery but it puts him a fair way back if he chooses to go on.

Last edited:
Hardly, if you don't have him in defence, people like Turner, Bastinac, Brown, Wood have to miss in order to fit in the absolute locks.

Goldstein, Swallow, Thompson, Cunnington, Ziebell, Wells, Dal Santo, Higgins, Waite, Harvey, Petrie, Thomas and Atley.

Leaves 9 spots open.

GOOD LUCK.

I couldn't have Higgins as a lock just yet.

Been pretty ordinary most of his career mate, injury excuse or otherwise.

Needs to play some good games first to overtake the likes of your favourite player in Gibbo and others who have more runs on the board.

Id have Higgins a lock for round one i dnt think North payed 400k a year for him to have him in the magoos... I think he is better than our 22nd player in Jacobs atm..

Id have Higgins a lock for round one i dnt think North payed 400k a year for him to have him in the magoos... I think he is better than our 22nd player in Jacobs atm..

I concur.

I don't know why we would have sort him out and locked him in for 4 freaking years if we didn't intend to play him.

I just can not see Jacobs in the team

Underwhelming in 2014 is the nicest thing I can say.

But I like Gibson, so what would I know?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back