Opinion North Melbourne's best 22

Not for me. But the coaching dept love Taz, so I'm expecting him to probably get the nod.
He looks more assured than Tippett today, but it was a weird shoot out game so who knows.

Well with all the nab games done my best 22 is settled with maybe 2 spots up for grabs

B: Wright Tippett Thompson
HB: Atley Tarrant McDonald
C: Wells Ziebell Dal Santo
HF: Harvey Waite Higgins
F: Wood Petrie Thomas
R: Goldstein Swallow Cunnington
I: Bastinac Turner Black
Sub: Macmillan/Jacobs

inj: Grima, Hansen and Mullett

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
B: Wright Thompson Firrito
HB: Atley Tippett Macmillan
F: Thomas Petrie Brown
I: Gibson McDonald Wood
Sub: Turner

Emerg: Bastinac, Jacobs, Tarrant (and Patch)

A very difficult task. While the backline is possibly a bit short, I'm backing Firrito's experience over the extra height of Tarrant. I'm assuming Tippett over Tarrant, but don't really know or care which way around it is. Up to match ups.

I've gone for Brown over Black. Brown seems to have largely carried on from his 2014 form, and thus far, so has Black. It might make us a bit tall, but Wood on the i/c to mix things up a bit.

Love to have Sugar in the 21, but it's between him and McDonald for mine (or possibly Jmac). The other possible sub is BJ or Patch. Bastinac hasn't shown enough imo, and hasn't shone in the sub role. With the sub, you want someone who can make an immediate impact.

ArjenTheGreat

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2005
Arden St
AFL Club
North Melbourne
HB: Atley Tippett Macmillan
I: Gibson McDonald Wood
Sub: Turner

Emerg: Bastinac, Jacobs, Tarrant (and Patch)

A very difficult task. While the backline is possibly a bit short, I'm backing Firrito's experience over the extra height of Tarrant. I'm assuming Tippett over Tarrant, but don't really know or care which way around it is. Up to match ups.

I've gone for Brown over Black. Brown seems to have largely carried on from his 2014 form, and thus far, so has Black. It might make us a bit tall, but Wood on the i/c to mix things up a bit.

Love to have Sugar in the 21, but it's between him and McDonald for mine (or possibly Jmac). The other possible sub is BJ or Patch. Bastinac hasn't shown enough imo, and hasn't shone in the sub role. With the sub, you want someone who can make an immediate impact.

You could't possibly want Gibson and MacMillan ahead of Bastinac. What have they done? Basti has been cracking in and looking good, for mine.

FB: Michael Firitto - Robbie Tarrant - Scott Thompson

HB: Shaun Atley - Joel Tippett - Luke McDonald

C: Daniel Wells - Ryan Bastinac - Nick Dal Santo

HF : Jack Ziebell - Jarred Waite - Brent Harvey

FF: Shaun Higgins - Drew Petrie - Lindsay Thomas

R: Todd Goldstein - Ben Cunnington - Andrew Swallow

I/C: Sam Wright - Ben Brown - Kane Turner - Mason Wood

Em: McKenzie Black Jacobs

Gibbo and MacMillan need to find some form, putting Gibbo out there in the cauldron of Adelaide Oval is a recipe for disaster. It happened last time we were there and I am willing to gamble a considerable amount of money on it happening again.

I can't leave any of those 22 out of the best team from the nab games.

Tippo and Taz take the monsters, Spud and Scooter to help mop up the messes we create. Atley and McDonald gives us pace and penetration which I thought was a bit meh today.

The forward half and midfield is electric with our clearances having some oomph that we previously lacked.

We are a very good side and there are going to be some big name casualties. And that's without Garner, Harper, Mullet, Hansen, Grima to all come back at their best.

Jason Dunstall had fear in his voice.

Last edited:

Daz

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Based on the team picked today I'm pretty confident they'll go with the following:

Firrito Thompson Wright
McDonald Tippett Atley
Dal Santo Ziebell Wells
Harvey Waite Higgins
Wood Petrie Thomas
Goldstein Swallow Cunnington
MacMillan Gibson Turner Bastinac

Hansen not ready. Jacobs just misses out.

Wood vs Brown the only question mark.

Last edited:

nicko74

Premiership Player
Nov 29, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Based on the team picked today I'm pretty confident they'll go with the following:

Firrito Thompson Wright
McDonald Grima Atley
Dal Santo Ziebell Gibson
Harvey Waite Higgins
Wood Petrie Thomas
Goldstein Swallow Cunnington
MacMillan Bastinac Turner Jacobs

Hansen not ready.

Wood vs Brown the only question mark.
Grima ain't ready either unfortunately

I am glad I had a test run because my first attempt didn't have Boomer in it...

Back 6:

FB: Wright Tarrant Firrito
HB: Atley Thompson MacMillan

I think Wright to get first crack on Betts, if it fails try Atley. I doubt we will play Tippett, Jenkins hasn't been setting the world on fire and I have doubts they will pick Pods. Tarrant to play on JJ who will likely be close to goal and Thompson on Walker, need a strong body like Firrito to play on Danger when he pushes forward, he is too strong for the others. I don't think Hansen should play, give him a game or two in the VFL.

Forward 6:

FF: Wood Petrie Thomas

Midfield:

C: Wells Dal Santo McDonald
F: Goldstein Swallow Cunnington

McDonald ran with Sloane last year in Tassie and limited his influence, he will need to be in the midfield to do so again.

Pine:
I: Brown Ziebell Turner Bastinac
E: Gibson, Black, Jacobs, McKenzie

Tough decision on sub or even on who makes the interchange. Crows are playing high intensity defensive football under Walsh and am not sure I want Gibson or Jacobs turning it over under the pump, I think we will need the toughness of Turner and Ziebell should be okay with concussion, I think Bastinac has played the better footy out of he or Gibson which is what it comes down to.

Black2Blue

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
From today, I became clear on a few points and remain uncertain on a couple of others. Firstly, Basti will certainly play while Jacobs will just miss out. Secondly, Spud Firrito is a lock. The Tippett/Tarrant debate remains unresolved in my book. The third tall forward is a toss up between Wood and Brown. Pleased to see Brown looking sharper today.

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
You could't possibly want Gibson and MacMillan ahead of Bastinac. What have they done? Basti has been cracking in and looking good, for mine.
Basti has shown signs but not ahead of other mids imo. Wouldn't surprise or worry me if he's in there, but it shows how deep we now run. There are going to be a few missing that will raise eyebrows or cause conniptions for some. So be it.

Let's just take it as read that you don't have time for Gibson; we all get it mate. While he turned over a few kicks today he did no more than Jack did, and with less excuse. (Love Jack, but why his numerous clangers get excused while Gibson and BJ get caned for the same I don't know.)

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Basti has shown signs but not ahead of other mids imo. Wouldn't surprise or worry me if he's in there, but it shows how deep we now run. There are going to be a few missing that will raise eyebrows or cause conniptions for some. So be it.

Let's just take it as read that you don't have time for Gibson; we all get it mate. While he turned over a few kicks today he did no more than Jack did, and with less excuse. (Love Jack, but why his numerous clangers get excused while Gibson and BJ get caned for the same I don't know.)
I'd say Jack gets a lot more leeway because we perceive him as being a better/tougher player, additionally Gibson and Jacobs clangers are often under little/no pressure, as opposed to Jack's which tend to be hacked out from a stoppage.

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
I'd say Jack gets a lot more leeway because we perceive him as being a better/tougher player, additionally Gibson and Jacobs clangers are often under little/no pressure, as opposed to Jack's which tend to be hacked out from a stoppage.
No, I'm not talking about Jack's hacks. Those are, as you say, understandable. He messes up a lot of others someone of his skill should make. I'm not actually calling for the howls of derision that Gibson and Jacobs get, but what I would say is "confirmation bias".

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
No, I'm not talking about Jack's hacks. Those are, as you say, understandable. He messes up a lot of others someone of his skill should make. I'm not actually calling for the howls of derision that Gibson and Jacobs get, but what I would say is "confirmation bias".

I'm certainly guilty of confirmation bias in regards to Gibson and Jacobs. I think a lot of us sit on tenderhooks whenever they get it and are all but waiting for it. Whenever it happens there are always a few posters (myself occasionally included) who vent/complain/notice it. I have to say though that I don't notice much in the way of Jack plain old shanking them when not under pressure. I'll keep an eye out for that more next time. Hopefully next game he actually manages to finish the majority of the game before KOing himself.

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
I'm certainly guilty of confirmation bias in regards to Gibson and Jacobs. I think a lot of us sit on tenderhooks whenever they get it and are all but waiting for it. Whenever it happens there are always a few posters (myself occasionally included) who vent/complain/notice it. I have to say though that I don't notice much in the way of Jack plain old shanking them when not under pressure. I'll keep an eye out for that more next time. Hopefully next game he actually manages to finish the majority of the game before KOing himself.
He doesn't shank them. He tends to regularly misjudge distance.

ArjenTheGreat

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2005
Arden St
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Bias aside, independent reviews have suggested his game was terrible... in fact he hasn't played a good game yet this year.

I'm growing more and more confident that he won't play round 1.

Saintly31

Cancelled
Apr 2, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ok, this is not easy and have had to retype a few times as I've usually left a player out.....

HB: Atley Tippett Dal Santo
C: Wells Ziebell Wood
I: Turner McDonald Macmillan
Sub: Bastinac

Emerg: Gibson, Jacobs, Tarrant, Black

Really hard to leave Gibbo out as I really do like how runs hard and provides an option, but I just don't know who else to omit to get him in.

I think everyone starting field simply have to be picked and deserve their spot. Maybe Brown is questionable but I think he will get better and that's a bloody dangerous fwd line.

Which leaves the bench spots. Despite a down game Turner offers grunt, and the Macs bring versatility.

Basti was good yesterday and he would be an ideal sub and could be damaging late in a game.

Sorry Gibbo, I love your running power but you just don't use it well enough and it too often kills our momentum. Touches don't mean much if don't use them, look at Anthony who had no trouble getting the ball, but did too much wrong and was poor defensively.

And no, Arjen has not hijacked my computer.

Last edited:
May 8, 2003
Hamish Paradise
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Islanders, Nuggets
Brown has looked horribly underdone and a month ago he was no chance for round 1. But he's got better each week and still offers our best fit for a backup ruckman, as he is a very smart forward.
Can't see Basti getting a game at this stage.
How Arjen can rate him ahead of McMillan I have no idea.

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
I think regularly is overselling it.

Occasionally would be more accurate.
I'll stick with regularly, but I get what you're saying. Not regularly as in consistently/all the time, but regularly as in a number of times per game.

Back