North Queensland Fury

Remove this Banner Ad

Shut out by the A-League, the Fury are set to make a comeback in the APL North Conference in 2013.
I got one tho I live in Rockhampton and not Townsville am really looking forward to this, hopefully they can push for another A-League push.

Totally agree Bojangles, instead of trying to get the World Cup we should have used that money to secure clubs that were already playing in the A-League.

APL Northern Conference/ Queensland Conference clubs for 2013:

Brisbane City FC from QSL, Newmarket, BPL
Brisbane strikers (former NSL) Perry Park Albion, from QSL
Central Queensland Energy FC, Rockhampton, Newly formed
Moreton Bay United Jets FC, South Pine Rd, Newly Formed
Northern Fury (former A-League) formerly North Queensland Fury.
Olympic FC, Yeronga, BPL
Palm Beach Sharks SC, Palm Beach, CGPL
QAS, Meakin Park Slacks Creek (old LC Scorpians ground), QSL
Queenland Bulls formerly Far North Queesland Bulls (Mareeba) in QSL
Redlands United Red Devils FC, Cleveland, BPL
Sunshine Coast Fire FC, Bokarina Sunshine Coast, QSL
Western Pride, Ipswich, Newly Formed

Old QSL clubs to miss out:
Whitsunday Miners, Mackay
Capricorn Cougars, Rockhampton
Bundaberg Spirit
North Queensland Razorbacks, Townsville

I miss having North Queensland Fury and Gold Coast United in the A-League, both definitely added something to the competition.

Agree what a shame there is no Queensland rivalry anymore.
I still can't understand why they would boot a fully backed GCU team out of the league.

Agree what a shame there is no Queensland rivalry anymore.
I still can't understand why they would boot a fully backed GCU team out of the league.
Yeah, as a Brisbane Roar fan our rivalry with GCU actually felt genuine (unlike the Qclash) and was a fun rivalry. As a member of the Den I can tell you our best chants were sung against them. I also miss those away trips to Skilled Park, nice ground to watch the round ball game at.

If I could make one decision at FFA headquarters I'd bring back GCU and NQF.

Yeah, as a Brisbane Roar fan our rivalry with GCU actually felt genuine (unlike the Qclash) and was a fun rivalry. As a member of the Den I can tell you our best chants were sung against them. I also miss those away trips to Skilled Park, nice ground to watch the round ball game at.

If I could make one decision at FFA headquarters I'd bring back GCU and NQF.

Agree Aussie Soccer needs a presence in North QLD wether its in Townsville or Cairns it's the only way that soccer will move to the next level in QLD, as for the rivalry the Afl forced the QClash a bit to much.

The A-League needs a Tassie, second SE QLD team (Ipswich, GazCoast), Woollongong or Canberra or Aulbury Wodonga and a second Adelaide or New Zealand team.

Agree Aussie Soccer needs a presence in North QLD wether its in Townsville or Cairns it's the only way that soccer will move to the next level in QLD, as for the rivalry the Afl forced the QClash a bit to much.

The A-League needs a Tassie, second SE QLD team (Ipswich, GazCoast), Woollongong or Canberra or Aulbury Wodonga and a second Adelaide or New Zealand team.
r.e. AFL rivalries, there is still a lot of Victorian teams that I hate more than GC, because I barely have a reason to.

r.e. A-League expansion, I'd immediately bring back GCU and NQF and expand to Wollongong and Canberra firstly, then bring in a Tassie team later down the track.

If they can get their finances together I'm all for them coming back into the A-League.

The aim should be 12 teams. Drop Heart, bring in NQLD, Canberra and Tasmania.

I miss having North Queensland Fury and Gold Coast United in the A-League, both definitely added something to the competition.
What did Gold Coast add?

The Gold Coast never should have had an A-League club. The community didn't care about the sport. Unless you have the power and finances of the AFL, you're going to struggle to get a foothold in that market. Nobody cared about them. The population warrants an APL side, as a gateway to the Roar, but not an A-League franchise.

Fury were good value. It's a shame that they were turfed, because they'd be okay financially under the new TV deal. They had a bit of character, especially with Franz. Hopefully, one day, they're re-admitted into the league. Because I believe the A-League's expansion lies in areas untapped by other professional sports (yes, I know they have an NRL club), and Townsville is a part of that.

Just a pity they retained the worst part of their name. Fury was woeful. Why reinstate a name associated with losses and expulsion from the A-League? Even something like North Queensland Revolution would have been more.. uh, apt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What did Gold Coast add?

The Gold Coast never should have had an A-League club. The community didn't care about the sport. Unless you have the power and finances of the AFL, you're going to struggle to get a foothold in that market. Nobody cared about them. The population warrants an APL side, as a gateway to the Roar, but not an A-League franchise.

Fury were good value. It's a shame that they were turfed, because they'd be okay financially under the new TV deal. They had a bit of character, especially with Franz. Hopefully, one day, they're re-admitted into the league. Because I believe the A-League's expansion lies in areas untapped by other professional sports (yes, I know they have an NRL club), and Townsville is a part of that.

Just a pity they retained the worst part of their name. Fury was woeful. Why reinstate a name associated with losses and expulsion from the A-League? Even something like North Queensland Revolution would have been more.. uh, apt.
They added a genuine local rivalry (unlike that manufactured Q-clash), a few away trips within driving distance and a team to laugh at because of a fat rich owner and poor crowds. For me it was a team to genuinely hate, and anyone who knows anything about sports would know it's more fun with a team to hate and GCU added that into the competition. The best Roar chants were sung when we played them and that is another thing I miss. GCU definitely had the potential to succeed, as they got over 11k to a pre-season friendly when they first started. Clive Palmer sabotaged it with stupid decisions like the crowd cap and making stupid calls like "freedom of speech" or "going undefeated for the whole season". The Suns have showed that a Gold Coast sporting team can succeed if it is run properly. They average 15k for a team that is non-competitve. Anyone who knows the SEQ area would know that it is a bandwagon area. GCS will have a waiting list when they start winning on a regular basis.

Also I have met a few people who actually did support GCU, so it's ridiculous to state that nobody cared about them. You don't live in the South-East Queensland area so don't pretend that you "know" that they added nothing to the competition when anyone Brisbane supporter or anyone who follows football in SEQ will tell you they certainly did. I miss having them in the competition and most Roar fans do as well (although some won't admit it). Don't pretend you know more about the Gold Coast or SEQ area more than I do. You don't. Don't even pretend.

Nice work Everton, I still think they should bring in either an Ipswich or Nth Briz team now before a GC team comes back.
I realise Hollandia is in Richlands near Ipswich, but they are a Brisbane representative team now more than a SW Bris team as they used to be.

Also Everton you ever wondered this:
Stupid A-League when first formed stated they did not want the old ethnic clubs and influences in the league....... Hello Brisbane (QLD) Roar wearing Oranje.

They added a genuine local rivalry (unlike that manufactured Q-clash), a few away trips within driving distance and a team to laugh at because of a fat rich owner and poor crowds. For me it was a team to genuinely hate, and anyone who knows anything about sports would know it's more fun with a team to hate and GCU added that into the competition. The best Roar chants were sung when we played them and that is another thing I miss. GCU definitely had the potential to succeed, as they got over 11k to a pre-season friendly when they first started. Clive Palmer sabotaged it with stupid decisions like the crowd cap and making stupid calls like "freedom of speech" or "going undefeated for the whole season". The Suns have showed that a Gold Coast sporting team can succeed if it is run properly. They average 15k for a team that is non-competitve. Anyone who knows the SEQ area would know that it is a bandwagon area. GCS will have a waiting list when they start winning on a regular basis.

Also I have met a few people who actually did support GCU, so it's ridiculous to state that nobody cared about them. You don't live in the South-East Queensland area so don't pretend that you "know" that they added nothing to the competition when anyone Brisbane supporter or anyone who follows football in SEQ will tell you they certainly did. I miss having them in the competition and most Roar fans do as well (although some won't admit it). Don't pretend you know more about the Gold Coast or SEQ area more than I do. You don't. Don't even pretend.
Riiiiight.

So your main argument is that Gold Coast should exist to give Brisbane a rivalry? You are seriously far too centred on all things Brisbane. The sun, let alone the A-League, does not revolve around your town. It is totally absurd that a club with a pissy amount of support (3,000 averages are absolutely appalling) deserves to exist because another club dislikes them.

The Suns have billions of dollars behind them. No other code has the funds necessary to create a strong and viable sporting franchise in that area.

I've also argued many times that Palmer didn't do an awful lot wrong. You say the Gold Coast is a bandwagon area... so why would a bandwagon area dislike hearing that? Surely calls of success would bring people through the gate, rather than not.

Obviously more than "nobody" supported GCU. But they consistently had the lowest membership and attendances in the league. And this wasn't by 2,000 or 3,000... they were massively below the next team.

And I'm not pretending to know more about Queensland. I've never been there. But then again, I never want to. Fake tans, bogans, and theme parks aren't my idea of a good time.

Riiiiight.

So your main argument is that Gold Coast should exist to give Brisbane a rivalry? You are seriously far too centred on all things Brisbane. The sun, let alone the A-League, does not revolve around your town. It is totally absurd that a club with a pissy amount of support (3,000 averages are absolutely appalling) deserves to exist because another club dislikes them.
And 11k to a pre-season game. Plus they did have games that got up to 14k in attendance. Yes, they must have no interest whatsoever. None at all, those 11k and 14k must've been lost or something because Silent Alarm said so :rolleyes:

Yet again, if they were run properly they would be okay. You won't see the AFL get rid of GWS no matter how bad their crowds are. Why? Because there is a lot of potential there and the AFL know that. By your logic the AFL should get rid of GWS because they are "massively below the next team", right?

And where have I ever said the sun or A-League "revolves around Brisbane". You seriously need a reality check.

The Suns have billions of dollars behind them. No other code has the funds necessary to create a strong and viable sporting franchise in that area.
The Titans were very successful when they started off before Michael Searle made bad business decisions. There doesn't need to be "billions of dollars" for a GC team to be successful. It just needs to be run properly.

I've also argued many times that Palmer didn't do an awful lot wrong. You say the Gold Coast is a bandwagon area... so why would a bandwagon area dislike hearing that? Surely calls of success would bring people through the gate, rather than not.
Yes because putting a crowd cap isn't doing an awful lot wrong, or deliberately pissing off the FFA. Silent Alarm said so, it must be okay, right? :rolleyes:

Again, you seriously need a reality check.

Obviously more than "nobody" supported GCU. But they consistently had the lowest membership and attendances in the league. And this wasn't by 2,000 or 3,000... they were massively below the next team.
Of course they are going to consistently have the lowest attendances when the owner puts a crowd cap to save some money.

And I'm not pretending to know more about Queensland. I've never been there. But then again, I never want to. Fake tans, bogans, and theme parks aren't my idea of a good time.
Again you are pretending to know more about Queensland with those three sweeping generalisations. You should stop posting as you are only embarrassing yourself with the continual dribble you post.

Also by your logic we should get rid of WSW, they add nothing to the competition for me, so by your logic they don't add anything at all to the competition, right? :rolleyes:

Clive Palmer and the crowd cap killed them. Plus closing off half the stadium so it looked literally empty on tv.

The whole Fury project was just disastrous management by the FFA. If they weren't prepared to stick with them for more than two years then why bother in the first place.

And 11k to a pre-season game. Plus they did have games that got up to 14k in attendance. Yes, they must have no interest whatsoever. None at all, those 11k and 14k must've been lost or something because Silent Alarm said so :rolleyes:
Firstly, don't use emoticons. It makes you look like a child. You should write an essay in Comic Sans if you think it's mature or grounded or acceptable.

And every team has a honeymoon period. It's called novelty value. You also failed to mention that one of these games was against Fulham, a Premier League club boasting an extremely well known Australian goalkeeper. The other game was ticketed for free. That's barely a compelling argument. Two blips do not give grounds for letting them continue to exist. They averaged absolutely woeful crowds, which was an indictment on their poor support base.

Yet again, if they were run properly they would be okay. You won't see the AFL get rid of GWS no matter how bad their crowds are. Why? Because there is a lot of potential there and the AFL know that. By your logic the AFL should get rid of GWS because they are "massively below the next team", right?
I won't even scratch the surface on the amount of fallacies committed here. If you're happy to be immature and retort via sarcasm, all the power to you.

And where have I ever said the sun or A-League "revolves around Brisbane". You seriously need a reality check.
You have implied it. On the footy jumpers board, so many arguments of yours are "yeah the jumper is bad, but at least it isn't as bad as Brisbane's." In this argument alone, you've said Gold Coast should only exist because they gave Brisbane Roar a good rivalry. You haven't mentioned the other arguments. And believe me, there's a huge one you're missing out... it's simply arrogant to believe Brisbane Roar have the divine right to make the FFA loss money, all because they want a rivalry.

The Titans were very successful when they started off before Michael Searle made bad business decisions. There doesn't need to be "billions of dollars" for a GC team to be successful. It just needs to be run properly.
I agree wholeheartedly. But who doesn't? Unfortunately, our world requires money for lots of things. And running a sports team is one of those things. The FFA were working on a shoestring budget and thus were unable to run the club properly. The AFL have more money, and so can fund the club much better. All facets of your club will improve with more money: Directors, managers, coaching staff, admin, PRs, and marketing directors. The money the FFA had simply was not enough to run the club properly.

Yes because putting a crowd cap isn't doing an awful lot wrong, or deliberately pissing off the FFA. Silent Alarm said so, it must be okay, right? :rolleyes:
Your arguments are simply idiotic. In just this short phrase, you've committed two fallacies: A Strawman, and Poisoning the Well. All respect for your argument is now void.

Of course they are going to consistently have the lowest attendances when the owner puts a crowd cap to save some money.
Why shouldn't he have put a crowd cap in? It's not like 20,000 were going to every game and he decided, on a whim, to cap it at 5,000. In fact, the cap still allowed more fans to attend than did. In their two seasons, they averaged around 3,450 attendances. If the Gold Coast cared for their club and wanted it saved, they should've rallied up and attended matches. Instead, they spat the dummy and/or didn't even care enough to rock up. And if you're saying there were 10,000 others who felt disillusioned and cheated by the stadium cap, well, they can blame themselves: By not attending, they helped kill Gold Coast United.

Again you are pretending to know more about Queensland with those three sweeping generalisations. You should stop posting as you are only embarrassing yourself with the continual dribble you post.
It was a state based joke. I'm almost certain that was obvious...

Additionally, do you mean "dribble" or "drivel?"
The former is a trail, stream, or trickle of liquid. The latter means nonsense.

Also by your logic we should get rid of WSW, they add nothing to the competition for me, so by your logic they don't add anything at all to the competition, right? :rolleyes:
What are you even talking about? The Wanderers exist in the biggest soccer talent pool in Australia! How could they not add anything to the league? Seriously, answer me that. The Wanderers exist in a great area for football: There's a large migrant population (who will favour the native, comfort game of soccer to rugby or Aussie rules), plenty of money, homegrown players, a large historical link to the sport, and a huge (by AU standards) population that's still growing. Most fans of the sport, in Australia, believe Western Sydney should have existed in season one: They deserve to.
And this isn't based on aspiration. Look back. The majority of champion Socceroos came from Sydney's west: Joe Marston, Mark Bosnich, Harry Kewell, Lucas Neill...

The whole Fury project was just disastrous management by the FFA. If they weren't prepared to stick with them for more than two years then why bother in the first place.
For the World Cup bid. As soon as Qatar won it, they were gone.

Firstly, don't use emoticons. It makes you look like a child. You should write an essay in Comic Sans if you think it's mature or grounded or acceptable.

I won't even scratch the surface on the amount of fallacies committed here. If you're happy to be immature and retort via sarcasm, all the power to you.

Your arguments are simply idiotic. In just this short phrase, you've committed two fallacies: A Strawman, and Poisoning the Well. All respect for your argument is now void.
It was a state based joke. I'm almost certain that was obvious...

Additionally, do you mean "dribble" or "drivel?"
The former is a trail, stream, or trickle of liquid. The latter means nonsense.
Don't tell others how to enjoy their music, that they way a person acknowledges their team's history or way of enjoying their music is wrong and don't accuse people of not being a "true Radiohead fan" because they like Pablo Honey. It makes you look like a massive douche. If you don't want me to use emoticons, don't post crap.

And don't inbox me again. I don't need to read your personal rubbish.

Now that we have got your personal rubbish out of the way.

And every team has a honeymoon period. It's called novelty value. You also failed to mention that one of these games was against Fulham, a Premier League club boasting an extremely well known Australian goalkeeper. The other game was ticketed for free. That's barely a compelling argument. Two blips do not give grounds for letting them continue to exist. They averaged absolutely woeful crowds, which was an indictment on their poor support base.
Apart from the Suns opening game, derby, home game at the new Carrara and game v Collingwood, they haven't got a crowd over 20,000. The Suns also give out freebies to some of their home games. All the Suns games that got over 20,000 had some form of novelty value and some of their other games involved free tickets. I have gotten free tickets to Suns home games twice. Also every GWS home crowd over 10,000 had novelty value as well (GWS first game and first home game) and they give out free tickets as well. By your logic we must get rid of both expansion clubs.

Also WSW apart from their first game and first derby haven't got a home crowd of over 10,000 yet. They must be a waste of time according to you as those crowds over 10k were "novelty crowds". Also GCU got a much bigger crowd in their first ever A-League game than WSW did. As I said many times if GCU were run properly, they had the potential to be successful.

You have implied it. On the footy jumpers board, so many arguments of yours are "yeah the jumper is bad, but at least it isn't as bad as Brisbane's."
Which is usually relevant to the discussion. It's people like you that make a big deal out of it, if you really don't care, don't respond and it wouldn't be a big deal.

In this argument alone, you've said Gold Coast should only exist because they gave Brisbane Roar a good rivalry. You haven't mentioned the other arguments. And believe me, there's a huge one you're missing out... it's simply arrogant to believe Brisbane Roar have the divine right to make the FFA loss money, all because they want a rivalry.
I said GCU added something to the competition. Regardless of which team it is, a local rivalry is adding something. Just because they don't add anything to you does not meant they don't add anything at all to the competition. I never said BRFC had a devine right to make the FFA lose money. GCU were an arrogant, hateable club and they had their own identity. I'm sure us Roar fans weren't the only ones who hated them. Every sporting competition needs an arrogant hateable club. Imagine the AFL without Collingwood, Essendon or Carlton.

I could also make the same argument about WSW only existing to give Sydney FC a rivalry or Heart only existing to give Victory a rivalry.
I agree wholeheartedly. But who doesn't? Unfortunately, our world requires money for lots of things. And running a sports team is one of those things. The FFA were working on a shoestring budget and thus were unable to run the club properly. The AFL have more money, and so can fund the club much better. All facets of your club will improve with more money: Directors, managers, coaching staff, admin, PRs, and marketing directors. The money the FFA had simply was not enough to run the club properly.
Of course a team needs money to succeed, it doesn't need "billions of dollars". They just needed to be run properly, be in touch with the local community (something GCU failed at really badly) and not deliberately restricting how many people could attend.

Why shouldn't he have put a crowd cap in? It's not like 20,000 were going to every game and he decided, on a whim, to cap it at 5,000. In fact, the cap still allowed more fans to attend than did. In their two seasons, they averaged around 3,450 attendances. If the Gold Coast cared for their club and wanted it saved, they should've rallied up and attended matches. Instead, they spat the dummy and/or didn't even care enough to rock up. And if you're saying there were 10,000 others who felt disillusioned and cheated by the stadium cap, well, they can blame themselves: By not attending, they helped kill Gold Coast United.
They were still averaging way over 5000 before Clive Palmer's crowd cap. The last home game against Fury before the crowd cap got over 10000 while the first game against the Fury after the crowd cap was around 2500. You are truly moronic if you seriously don't believe that restricting the amount of people that can attend stunts growth of the potential supporter base. If WSW, Heart, Suns or GWS did the same thing as Clive Palmer, they would get the same result as GCU. How can a team's supporters rally up and attend when the owner restricts how many people can do so.

The people of the Gold Coast saw it as Clive Palmer's club because of the idiotic decisions he made and not a proper GC club. Again if it was run properly it had the potential to succeed.

What are you even talking about? The Wanderers exist in the biggest soccer talent pool in Australia! How could they not add anything to the league? Seriously, answer me that. The Wanderers exist in a great area for football: There's a large migrant population (who will favour the native, comfort game of soccer to rugby or Aussie rules), plenty of money, homegrown players, a large historical link to the sport, and a huge (by AU standards) population that's still growing. Most fans of the sport, in Australia, believe Western Sydney should have existed in season one: They deserve to.
And this isn't based on aspiration. Look back. The majority of champion Socceroos came from Sydney's west: Joe Marston, Mark Bosnich, Harry Kewell, Lucas Neill...
Of course I believe WSW should exist. Unlike you I can acknowledge that just because they add nothing for me personally doesn't mean they add nothing to the competition whatsoever. And just because GCU added nothing to you didn't mean they added nothing to the league overall, because they definitely did.

An interesting thread this one.

One thing for certain is that Qld needs more than one side. The main reason being that Qld keeps producing good kids and they need more than one side to aspire to. I realise they can move interstate, but we will lose good players if the opportunity isn't there. From a personal point of view I also agree with Everton that it was the start of a really good rivalry despite their poor crowds. The Boxing day games were good fun and the first home game at Suncorp I'd guess that about half the crowd of 20ish k were supporting GC. They've mostly jumped on the Roar bandwagon now we started winning but if it was done properly GC 'might' have worked.

At the moment another Gold Coast side is on the agenda, being headed by a former Roar CEO Eugienie Buckley. I've no idea if it will get off the ground or not and I agree the Gold Coast is not the ideal place to run a football club out of (despite having a pretty good stadium and growing population) I guess it's a watch this space situation.

The call for an Ipswich club is interesting. I actually am involved in football out that way and although Ipswich is a fast growing area they wouldn't get any better crowds then Gold Coast, plus they'd just have to play at Suncorp.

Getting rid of the Fury was a mistake imo. It could have worked given the time and money but FFA were haemorrhaging sp? money at the time I guess.

I always thought there was room for a composite Queensland side playing matches both in Townsville, on the Gold Coast and possibly one fixture a season in Cairns.

Even possibly a merger between NQF and GCU, but that might have been tough to get through.

There definately needs to be a secondary presence in Queensland somewhere, but its going to be very hard to pick one out of what makes up about 5 markets which individually probably don't have all the requirements necessary to really sustain a team.

You can't have a national Soccer league and not have a presence up here where there is over half a million people from Mackay to the tip, not even a national youth team.

When the talk started about dropping the Fury the rumours were to join with GC, half home games in Darwin and even take some games to Asia (what us members were told), i was also a proud member of F-Troop.

But now it would be ten times harder to restart a team up here as all the effort from before has been lost, some Fury games this season had no more than 20 people there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back