Game Day North vs Werribee Arden St tomorry

Remove this Banner Ad

So this is where a guy like Gibson streets a guy like McKenzie at the moment.

Because in that 100 minutes where he doesn't have the ball he is running the bloke he's on into the ground or as seen in finals last year he is running with a specifically to curb thier influence.

If I am honest I don't see either as long term keys to our success.

I will be surprised if McKenzie plays more than 50 games for us.

I will be surprised if some of our kids don't overtake Gibson in the next 2 years.

We can't play with 3 extractor midfielders and 2 taggers though, as we saw last year it just shut down our scoring ability way too much, we need a better balance in the middle.

With Wells hopefully available and recruiting Anderson then I think he will have to contribute a lot more offensively to retain his spot. Who else is going to make way in the squad both in room and on-field position?

We can't play with 3 extractor midfielders and 2 taggers though, as we saw last year it just shut down our scoring ability way too much, we need a better balance in the middle.

With Wells hopefully available and recruiting Anderson then I think he will have to contribute a lot more offensively to retain his spot. Who else is going to make way in the squad both in room and on-field position?

Balanced midfield is essential.

Swallow Cunninton Wells

Ziebell Jacobs Dal

I like those combos.

I rate his tagging and his tagging alone.

All this courage talk is bullshit, the game is football, not little ******* aths.

Anyone could stand on their own and be more effective... We already have 7 defenders, how many do we need.

7 defenders and 2 taggers.

You only get to stand on your own by working your opponent into the ground.

Ever wonder how that magically happens? Could it be because he has run his opponent into the ground and then when possession is turned over, he is the one sprinting into space to create the spread? If the likes of McKenzie, Bastinac and Urquhart had half the gut running courage, then I could finally come to appreciate their over rated skills.

Thats right. If you've ever run your opponent, or even multiple opponents into the ground or had it happen to you then been flogged by your opponent you'd get that Arjen.

Whenever i wonder about his s**t kicking skills I remember that. Its not just beating an opponent one on one its tiring them out so they are less effective offensively even when someone else is playing on them.

And I guess its how much value he brings to the side in that role that counts. If his s**t kicking was the difference between us winning and losing I might feel differently but as it is I think that running ability adds to what the rest of the team does. What happened to his opponent in that Semi against Sydney?

Yeah, apparently. He would be asked to play a specific role around the stoppages but instead go ball hunting.

Which is what he should have been doing. He is a ball hunter and that was his go...

We have less structure and system than half the AFL, so IMO, that was about as moot a point as humanly possible.

What is our game plan? What is our structure? What is our system?

Goldy win tap to 3 slow extractors who jam it on the boot forward and attempt to lock the ball in for a stoppage and when we do win it in space who do we dish it to? Gibbo of course. Who whether in space or under pressure is as likely to hit a target as shank it on the full, at best we hope for another stoppage and revert to starting point of winning the hit out and hitting and hoping again.

The opportunity cost of playing Gibson for 4 years straight is the loss of Greenwood, Bastinac, Harper and the stalled development of McKenzie and McDonald... Not to mention never finishing higher than 6th with the oldest list in the comp.

Some people see playing 88 or whatever games in a row as being courageous, I see it as not going hard enough. It should be impossible if you are cracking in with sufficient force and intent.

You only get to stand on your own by working your opponent into the ground.

Thats right. If you've ever run your opponent, or even multiple opponents into the ground or had it happen to you then been flogged by your opponent you'd get that Arjen.

Whenever i wonder about his s**t kicking skills I remember that. Its not just beating an opponent one on one its tiring them out so they are less effective offensively even when someone else is playing on them.

If you accept that AFL is a game of minute % advantages between teams 2-10 then you must consider that a few unforced turnovers every game over the course of a season means something.

It adds up.

Anyway, he will be in the round 1 team and won't be dropped no matter what as that is how we roll. But I will continue to point out that the balance is all wrong and there must be some casualties. And he has to be top of the list given his pathetic disposal and lack of pace even if he can run all day.

Last edited:
The opportunity cost of playing Gibson for 4 years straight is the loss of Greenwood, Bastinac, Harper and the stalled development of McKenzie and McDonald... Not to mention never finishing higher than 6th with the oldest list in the comp.

You make some fair points about Gibbo, Arjen, but I think you may be added a large dollop of mayo to the story if you are blaming him for these blokes leaving, being crueled by injuries or not being good enough.

Yeah, that's just poor form.

Gibson not playing VFL was not the cause of Harper averaging fewer than 10 disposals during his entire tenure. As an example of this ridiculous blame and hate game.

Someone will correct me, obviously, but I'd drop a fiver on the bet that the aforementioned names would not have played the same role anyway.

Last edited:
If you accept that AFL is a game of minute % advantages between teams 2-10 then you must consider that a few unforced turnovers every game over the course of a season means something.

It adds up.

Yep, true. But due to his insane running, he allows our defenders to clear the ball to an uncontested man numerous times a game, rather than having to kick to a contest. So in my view he is helping us avoid those turnovers, or at worst he is making them 50-100 metres further upfield.

Balanced midfield is essential.

Swallow Cunninton Wells

Ziebell Jacobs Dal

I like those combos.

The problem is that we have a bit of a synergy issue between Swallow, Cunnington and Ziebell, they do not often compliment each other the way they played last year. We don't see a lot of stoppage play where the three work together well to chain consecutive possessions to overlap and spread and create attacking play from stoppages, they typically put boot to ball and meander to a set position. I might be wrong and it may just be a perception problem on my behalf but it doesn't seem aggressive enough to me through the middle last year and I hope that is addressed this year because despite doing very well in contested ball numbers and having a decent forward line, our scoring was often abysmal.

Ball use & retention needs to be valued as highly as the hard ball stats and the clearances, there is no point getting the clearance just to give the ball to the opposition in space to rebound, that often killed us in important games.

Yeah, that's just poor form.

Gibson not playing VFL was not the cause of Harper averaging fewer than 10 disposals during his entire tenure. As an example of this ridiculous blame and hate game.

Someone will correct me, obviously, but I'd drop a fiver on the bet that the aforementioned names would not have played the same role anyway.

I enjoyed his tagging work in the finals... Though I will point out that it's a lot easier to tag an outside runner when you are being bitch slapped inside as the tiges were. There wasn't a lot of opportunity for Ellis to do anything.

As for Harper not averaging more than 10 touches a game, I am of the opinion that it doesn't matter so long as you are kicking goals and tackling like a psycho.

Bastinac was a good tagger too in his younger days, seem to recall a few decent jobs on Daniel Kerr amongst others. He also kicked more goals and had better disposal, especially by hand.

Anyway, enough of this hate business, I don't hate anyone who plays for us, I just want to win flags.

Which is what he should have been doing. He is a ball hunter and that was his go...

We have less structure and system than half the AFL, so IMO, that was about as moot a point as humanly possible.

What is our game plan? What is our structure? What is our system?

Goldy win tap to 3 slow extractors who jam it on the boot forward and attempt to lock the ball in for a stoppage and when we do win it in space who do we dish it to? Gibbo of course. Who whether in space or under pressure is as likely to hit a target as shank it on the full, at best we hope for another stoppage and revert to starting point of winning the hit out and hitting and hoping again.

North would have to be a side that has a great emphasis on structures. This is very evident when north has turned games around after quarter time or half time after being instructed on how to execute the correct game plan and reassess and setup the correct structures. you kept mentioning stoppages because north is one of the best teams at applying pressure if the contested ball is lost, i would much rather a stoppage than a turnover.

Greenwood was a good player, he played well in 2014 but north lost him because 1) 1 good season doesn't entitle you to being paid like you'll play that way for the next 4 years and 2) already have too many inside mids!

basti i couldn't care less about losing, and harper was good but jedi seems to be more AFL ready and make a bigger impact. Mcdonald's development hasn't been stalled because of gibbo, that's just plain wrong, they play completely different roles. Mckenzie i'd like to seem more of but gibbo is definitely the safer option, especially in finals.

The player most likely to put pressure on Gibbo this year is Fordham. He is a running machine, plays the link man role, has generally good disposal, and is a high possession player. He is on the rookie list but a continuation of last year's VFL form should have him knocking on the door.

I enjoyed his tagging work in the finals... Though I will point out that it's a lot easier to tag an outside runner when you are being bitch slapped inside as the tiges were. There wasn't a lot of opportunity for Ellis to do anything.

As for Harper not averaging more than 10 touches a game, I am of the opinion that it doesn't matter so long as you are kicking goals and tackling like a psycho.

Bastinac was a good tagger too in his younger days, seem to recall a few decent jobs on Daniel Kerr amongst others. He also kicked more goals and had better disposal, especially by hand.

Anyway, enough of this hate business, I don't hate anyone who plays for us, I just want to win flags.
The bolded is :thumbsu:.

I imagine Jed Anderson is one that would get you up and about though Arjen. Hard, fast and skillful seem to be words that describe Jed perfectly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ya know this is the third thread I've ever started and was heading into uncharted territory- near on 20,000 views. This had surpassed my 'hum on my balls Poort thread'.

Well by about 10,000- now it's being derailed:(

The under 25's Vs. over 25's match on Friday will be in code so as the cat doesn't leave the bag. Something like.

upload_2016-2-8_19-26-47.jpeg

upload_2016-2-8_19-27-59.jpeg

Ah goody, the Sam Gibson thread derailment shitfight fires up for 2016...

200_s.gif

The problem is that we have a bit of a synergy issue between Swallow, Cunnington and Ziebell, they do not often compliment each other the way they played last year. We don't see a lot of stoppage play where the three work together well to chain consecutive possessions to overlap and spread and create attacking play from stoppages, they typically put boot to ball and meander to a set position. I might be wrong and it may just be a perception problem on my behalf but it doesn't seem aggressive enough to me through the middle last year and I hope that is addressed this year because despite doing very well in contested ball numbers and having a decent forward line, our scoring was often abysmal.

Ball use & retention needs to be valued as highly as the hard ball stats and the clearances, there is no point getting the clearance just to give the ball to the opposition in space to rebound, that often killed us in important games.
You're spot on. A midfield of Ziebell, Swallow and Cunnington seemed slow and predictable last year. There was one game (I can't remember which) where we continued with those three even though we were getting slaughtered. I'm hoping the addition of Jed, return of Wells and development of Garner will make us slight more dynamic and unpredictable.

You're spot on. A midfield of Ziebell, Swallow and Cunnington seemed slow and predictable last year. There was one game (I can't remember which) where we continued with those three even though we were getting slaughtered. I'm hoping the addition of Jed, return of Wells and development of Garner will make us slight more dynamic and unpredictable.

And don't forget, NO SUB this year, it will have an impact on the players we pick and how they run out the games.

Greenwood was a good player, he played well in 2014 but north lost him because 1) 1 good season doesn't entitle you to being paid like you'll play that way for the next 4 years and 2) already have too many inside mids!

Robbie Tarrant says hi.

Greenwood had the one thing that our other inside mids do not have... breakaway speed.

Which is the one thing we lack that would take us to a new level.

Robbie Tarrant says hi.

Greenwood had the one thing that our other inside mids do not have... breakaway speed.

Which is the one thing we lack that would take us to a new level.
Levi had breakaway speed???
Really? I wouldn't have said that at all. I mean I was a fan, and he attacked the ball and man hard, but the speed thing is new to me.

Levi had breakaway speed???
Really? I wouldn't have said that at all. I mean I was a fan, and he attacked the ball and man hard, but the speed thing is new to me.

significantly quicker than all of Swallow, Ziebell and Cunnington, but but no means fast.

I would have said Levi's biggest point of difference would have been his elite endurance, you don't usually get that from your big bodied mids.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back