2nds Northern Blues 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Docherty impresses.

Have to agree with this.

Some of his spotting up a man and kicks through congestion to find a team-mate, were that of a quality player.

Along with Graham and Cripps, he already looks like an absolute keeper.
At a time when many quarters of the club are under fire, it is good to know we have some impressive youngsters putting their hands up for higher honours. Despite much doom & gloom about our recruiting, I think we are looking a bit better going forward than we did 2 years ago.

I thought totevski was really exciting to watch early in the game, but made some mistakes as the game went on.

Of the carlton listed players:
- Levi did really well in the ruck, and was a good target up forward....his kicking let him down, but played well enough to deserve a promotion
- Wood did ok in the ruck, and around the ground. Seems really well liked
- Temay giving some great options up forward...pushing buckley back, and temay forward could be a double win
- Cripps - not only did he touch it a lot, but he was very effective. Moves well in traffic.
- Graham - not as good as i'd expected after reading about his pre-season, but not a bad showing.
- Holman - great efforts to get the ball, but had some untidy turnovers
- Bootsma - some good spoiling efforts at times. still undersized, and needed encouragement from more senior players
- Armfield - quick
- Giles - looks the type, hard to say much more at this stage
- Scotland - seemed a bit slow at times, but is great to have in the vfl side. gives so much guidance on the field to younger players.
- Docherty - didnt notice him too much, but i liked what i saw
- Watson - didnt go the bomb as often, and was effective with ball in hand. Did get beat by smaller forwards at times
- Johnson, Cachia, Reynolds, McInnes, McLean - didnt really get my attention. Not terrible games, but just didnt make my memory highlight reel.

Impressive, still had enough time to get 34 pos and 10 tackles :rolleyes:

Northern Blues vs. Frankston
Saturday, April 12
Visy Park at 2:30pm

Northern Blues

B Giles Watson McInnes
HB Bootsma Anthony Sheehan
C Holman McLean Docherty
HF Temay Waite B. Johnson
F Graham White Garlett
R Wood Bell Armfield

Int Wilson Wilkinson Reynolds Posar T. Thomas Dirago Coulson Cattapan* Totevski

Very heavy Carlton listed.....list.
Would love to see a cohesive game from this group here.

Tempting.

Hopefully Byrne can put in another good game in the development league & be in the senior VFL team next week.

Northern Blues vs. Frankston
Saturday, April 12
Visy Park at 2:30pm

Northern Blues

B Giles Watson McInnes
HB Bootsma Anthony Sheehan
C Holman McLean Docherty
HF Temay Waite B. Johnson
F Graham White Garlett
R Wood Bell Armfield

Int Wilson Wilkinson Reynolds Posar T. Thomas Dirago Coulson Cattapan* Totevski

Very heavy Carlton listed.....list.
Would love to see a cohesive game from this group here.

Any chance of Docherty actually playing as a midfielder? Back line looks stacked as it is.

Any chance of Docherty actually playing as a midfielder? Back line looks stacked as it is.
Even more tempting.

It's like they don't want me to go to the G. The car park is even closed due to rain.

.............and into the promised land?

jesus_disciples.jpeg
He'd miss the promised land and send us plummeting out on the full (ocean) :(

Fingers crossed for a few young blokes this week. Temay, Giles, Graham and Docherty. Would love to hear that they have gone well, the sooner they get into the team the better. The door is open well and truly. Hopefully the Irish lads go well again, there's talent there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt it as I think Bell, Graham and McLean will spend the bulk of the time there.

Would like to see Bootsma playing wing and Docherty plying his trade down back

A rather blue collar midfield there with Mclean, Bell, Holman and Graham all been rather industrious. We really shouldn't have any issues with the engine room against Frankston. Hopefully Mclean shows off some of that leadership ability that got him into the leadership group in the first place.

I'd like to see Boots on the wing as well since he is a long kick, can leap and isn't slow. Only question would be his contested game due to his slight body and fitness. Both are easily solved with a good work ethic and a few good preseasons though.

With Docherty I'd like him to be able to play in the midfield and back line though. With Docherty's skills and build he should be able to do both and we have more then enough HBF's on the list as it is. If he doesn't have the fitness yet then fair enough but it's something we should be looking to build towards to long term.

I'd love to see Temay continue his good form and push for senior selection. Dunno why but I've got a good vibe about Temay for all that's worth.

What I'm really hoping to see is Mcinnes and Watson showing good enough form to break into the senior team again. It's been a uphill battle for Watson with his short stints at senior level where he builds good form before injury places him back at square one again. Mcinnes looked great before his ACL and I hope that he can recover that form again going forward since there is a opening for the third tall spot down back.

Wouldn't mind an opinion from mediumsizered or other VFL watchers in respect to something that has really stuck out at NB games and which to a point may well happen, or not happen, through our senior squad............VOICE.

I won't worry about previous years as that's in the past but most of the on-field instructions seem to emanate from opposition players.
"Two behind you", "Flick to your right", "You're in the clear", "Down the line", "Handball, Handball" etc etc etc.

Of course our team is very young and to be fair, I may just be picking up on voices I hear in my area (not my head, bastards) but other than Scotland, Graham and Watson, it seems to be very quiet out there from our group.

Even on Sunday we seemed to be holding onto the ball longer than our opponents and some of that may have just been for lack of instruction from team-mates in the immediate area whereas the Willy guys just worked and linked together much better.
Frankly, I don't know how the NB's won that game.

Anyway, question is: Are we still too quiet and not instructive enough, regardless of age?

Looks like a strong team.

Very light injury list at the moment with just two players unavailable for selection, touch wood.

Would hope that a side with that many Carlton listed players proves too strong for the opposition, but regardless of the result it is great to have the opportunity for two sides to work on the game plan as two cohesive units.

McLean, Docherty, Graham ,White, Garlett, Watson, McInnes, Bell, Armfield, Temay, Waite, Bootsma and Holman

That's 13 players who are competing for a spot in the seniors. Quite a few of them are even competing for the same position on the ground as well. Hopefully the added competition pushes them and the seniors to improve.

Wouldn't mind an opinion from mediumsizered or other VFL watchers in respect to something that has really stuck out at NB games and which to a point may well happen, or not happen, through our senior squad............VOICE.

I won't worry about previous years as that's in the past but most of the on-field instructions seem to emanate from opposition players.
"Two behind you", "Flick to your right", "You're in the clear", "Down the line", "Handball, Handball" etc etc etc.

Of course our team is very young and to be fair, I may just be picking up on voices I hear in my area (not my head, bastards) but other than Scotland, Graham and Watson, it seems to be very quiet out there from our group.

Even on Sunday we seemed to be holding onto the ball longer than our opponents and some of that may have just been for lack of instruction from team-mates in the immediate area whereas the Willy guys just worked and linked together much better.

Anyway, question is: Are we still too quiet and not instructive enough, regardless of age?

Voice has always fascinated me with top level footy, you need to demand the ball and organis with the players around you, that's always a given but I wonder how far the hearing radius is in big games with a loud crowd. I know when I play I hear nothing when I attack the ball and have it in the hand, no matter how loud people around me yell, I've spoken to many about it and many are the same, hearing just shuts off. Always been aware of it, never been able to fix this yet it's never been an issue, always have time with the ball and are able to pick out good options (instinctive movements and understanding of where people will be), yet every coach hammers voice into the players. I play with a hearing impaired player, you wouldn't know it. I think voice is important in organising players and motivation but the amount of times you see a guy get caught when players have been yelling that he's hot is astounding.

Voice is a good sign of a proactive group and an introverted/aggressive group. Silence is a sign of the other. Hope it comes with age and we come out of our shell. Voice is important but not as important as the aspects that it is linked with, like leadership, extroverts etc.

The close in voice but also instructive voice.

We can say what we want about someone like Maxwell but he sets his back-line up through clear instruction or finger pointing.
Hodge does the same and everyone knows what he wants from them.

Watson is the guy in our current NB back-line that shouts the instructions.
Now I don't know whether what he has to say is right but he is taking the responsibility upon himself.

Backline instruction is crucial, absolutely. Simple stuff like letting players playing off their opponent know where their opponent is and is going, rarely is instruction behind the ball wrong. Watson is a guy who needs to be given a chance at either end.

Definitely a lack of voice emanating from the NB' players. It stands out when playing teams with a lot of voice e.g. in the last VFL practice game against Sandringham whose players were extremely vocal. This just backs up Malthouse's observation that a substantial number of our players are introverts.

Watson seems to be our best at barking out instructions.

We are sometimes caught so badly with the ball I think surely you can tell the bloke he's hot. Is that the problem, players tell the bloke with the ball he's hot and the idiot stops to do his hair?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back