2nds Northern Blues 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Watson has been brilliant
He's played quite a few good games in the VFL now and show's strong leadership. Surely he's reached the point where a continual run of AFL games is required to further his development.

Yes, he'll get towelled every now and then (like against Westhoff) especially when he gets no support from our mids allowing opposition to bring it in uncontested. But I reckon he's a player and he'll learn a lot more from this point onwards playing against AFL quality forwards.

Odd season for the 2nds.

Massive comeback against Williamstown, goal after the siren to sink Frankston and completely overrun Footscray away in the 4th quarter.

dream start.
Stuff you couldn't exactly imagine the seniors would manage right now.

Does give hope for the future though.

He's played quite a few good games in the VFL now and show's strong leadership. Surely he's reached the point where a continual run of AFL games is required to further his development.

Yes, he'll get towelled every now and then (like against Westhoff) especially when he gets no support from our mids allowing opposition to bring it in uncontested. But I reckon he's a player and he'll learn a lot more from this point onwards playing against AFL quality forwards.
Agree his pre-season games were good to, had one bad 1/4 which imo was a coach mistake, you dont put Watson on an agile fast tall not his go at all.

Not sure why Rowe is getting games over Watson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like Johnson had another good game to continue his excellent start to the season.

I'm calling it. He's my boy. :thumbsu:

The whole club is useless at goal kicking.

I'd kill for that conversion rate at AFL level.

Agree his pre-season games were good to, had one bad 1/4 which imo was a coach mistake, you dont put Watson on an agile fast tall not his go at all.

Not sure why Rowe is getting games over Watson.

Yeah totally agree. The bulk of the damage was done in a 20 minute period where the ball was coming in freely and it was a poor matchup. Other than that he has done little wrong while other senior players have stunk it up for most of the year and are still getting games.

It's time for Watson to return.

Really didn't think the guys had it in them to come back but they came back and then added plenty.
Great to see kids in Holman and Johnson really stepping up when needed.

Watson: Have to change by BOG to this guy.
Slaughtered Cordy, got plenty of important ball whilst directing traffic exceptionally well.
Set the back-line up right and this guy has plenty to give just yet.

Johnson: Just about the player on our list you'd like with ball in hand going for goal.
Has got progressively better, every time I've seen him and just keeps adding little tricks.
Showed good turn of speed at times today and is capable of turning his man inside out quite easily.
Too early to make any big calls but I keep saying: This guy has something.

Holman: Although not as prolific as last week, I loved his game again today.
Shows he can take a mark and is as courageous as they come.
Some very good ball-handking skill accompanied his very good work rate today...Keeper.

Wood: He's in the ruck.........ball moves our way. He's out of the ruck......it goes the other way.
More importantly though, he just got around the ground very well, took marks and put in second and third efforts expected of Kreuzer.
Warnock has a bad game today, Wood will be promoted. It's that simple.

McLean: May have got less possessions than last week but much more dangerous. Excellent effort.

Graham: Not his usual 30 possessions either today but just shows up the smarts over and over.

Cachia: A standard Cachia game. good but not good enough for the AFL.

Bootsma: What will it take to get this guy playing with real purpose? Is a real square peg in a round hole.
You can tell that he's got it but just no confidence at all. Made some great spoils and then some lazy errors.

Sheehan: Nothing to expect but just getting incrementally better each week.
No idea how far he can go but he really does show something.

McInnes: Made one horror of a mistake and a couple not so horrible ones but starting to get back to some form.
Played with real intensity today. Good game.

Docherty: Not as noisy in the second half but a good game nonetheless.
Had very good poise and smarts at times but did make errors also.

Temay seems to have gone back into his shell a little.
Large blocks of time that he's just about invisible. Will need to really clock it up from here on in as Holman and Johnson look to have overtaken him already.

Armfield: Fair game from Dennis although he missed a goal, he'd be cursing himself over.
No one more vocal than him today. Really tried to set things up for the guys. Terrific effort albeit not a perfect result.

Giles: Probably the poorest game I've seen him play to date. Redpath ran him ragged and just couldn't get into it.
Having said that he still needs to build his body but he just looks as though he'll make it. Went forward at the end of the game for little impact.

Garlett although not really seeing a lot of the ball played with a lot more purpose.
Spent some time through the middle and did some good things. May just be enough of an improvement to see him back next week.

Reynolds was good and didn't spend the whole game up forward either.
Slowly, slowly but as for all the other new kids......so far, so good.

Last edited:
One important observation today were some auxiliary coaches yelling out "voice, voice" to the players.

Armfield didn't hold back either when he yelled out, "Lazy, Holman"
He heard it all right and really got on his bike thereafter.

We're still a very quiet bunch on the ground.
I know that most of the guys are still young but you really need your team-mates helping you along, by way of voice and body.

Get this in play and we'll undoubtedly be better.

One important observation today were some auxiliary coaches yelling out "voice, voice" to the players.

Armfield didn't hold back either when he yelled out, "Lazy, Holman"
He heard it all right and really got on his bike thereafter.

We're still a very quiet bunch on the ground.
I know that most of the guys are still young but you really need your team-mates helping you along, by way of voice and body.

Get this in play and we'll undoubtedly be better.
Sounds positive, and sounding a lot like the way Mick built up Collingwood's VFL side, with guys like Brown and Reid in there for stretches

2014 Peter Jackson VFL
Footscray Bulldogs 2.0 6.3 12.6 13.9 (87)
Northern Blues 4.8 7.10 11.10 16.16 (112)

GOALS:
Footscray Bulldogs: Dickson 5 Redpath 2 Jamieson Campbell Fogarty Honeychurch Tutt Sullivan
Northern Blues: Johnson 4 Thomas 3 Garlett 2 Armfield 2 Graham 2 Wilson Totevski Holman

BEST:
Footscray Bulldogs: Honeychurch Dickson Fogarty Russell Redpath Roberts
Northern Blues: Johnson McLean Thomas Graham Watson Wood

I see Garlett snagged a couple. Was it a much improved performance by him?

Jeffy's influence can't be measured by goals & points. Spent lots of time on the ball and did some very nice things. Much improved effort & attitude compared to what we have seen this year.

Agree with HARKER that Giles had some poor moments but he was giving up a lot of size (height & weight). Definitely needs to bulk up a lot - which is expected.

I just love the way Holman goes about it. Got knocked out in the 4th but got straight back up & kept fighting.

Johno is a beauty.

Jeffy - much improved intensity & effort. Lots of time in the middle.

Poor Brock was abused like crazy by a pack of Dogs supporters for the entire second half. Even when he was dominating.

Loved Watto's game. But, god Cordg is useless.

Great game again by Woody.

Doc quite we in the second half but still very classy with whatever he does.

Great effort by the boys to fight back again. Thought our points in the first quarter were going to cost us but loved the spirit to fight back after the Dogs got on a roll in the 3rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back