2nds Northern Blues 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

harsh on Holman he played well! he is more a half back flanker but did well today was one of the best imo behind nicky g an walsh!
just to add walsh kicking isn't great I'd be stunned if he ever plays in the 1st

Far be it for me to tell anyone how to run this place but I'm confused are we running this thread to update us on Northern Blues games/player performance or are we still doing that in the Northern Blues 2015 thread?
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/posts/38156468/
I got nothing to add to the thread due to the VFL not being televised in Perth but love to read the updates (although thinking of jumping on my soapbox and ranting about young kids who aren't getting a kick cause it looks easy)

is this the thread or not?

I went along to a cold and wet Port Melbourne. Game got along to a farcical start with the fire alarm being set off in the main stand.

Warnock - like a new player. Clearly the dominant big man around the ground, but less so than we are used to in terms of tap outs. Still looked weak in marking contests, but it was a terrible day for big men.

Walsh - was a game that really suited him. There was a glue pot in the centre of the ground and Walsh was in and under all day. Lots of contested ball, clearances and tackles. Offered little in terms of spread and this is where he needs to improve to make it in the seniors. Hard to gauge whether he's a good kick or not as he was always under pressure. Seems a lot like Adam Bentick.

Graham - like Walsh was at almost every centre bounce and I thought he offered a bit more on the spread than Walsh did. Didn't get much time with the ball as he was closely marked all day. Showed his composure to kick a clutch goal in the third. Blues best for mine.

Fields - played at full back on Lisle and I thought he halved the contest. Wasn't a day for forwards to mark the ball, so that played into toms hands. Long kicking was impressive, but he butchered a short 15m pass that gave up a goal. He seems to drift away from his opponent and is susceptible to the ball over the top. The bench kept yelling at him "engage Tom".

DVR - best game I've seen from him. He played on a HFF roaming about in the attacking half and was pivotal in our third quarter comeback. I wish he would lead straight at the ball carrier rather than lead out on an arc towards the boundary, but he will learn. Kicking wasn't as good as usual.

Foster - didn't do much on a tough day for marking forwards. Kicked a clutch goal in the third after winning a HTB free kick from 50. Crashed the pack a couple of times but isn't the bail out option that Im hoping he can be. Gets his hands to it but can't clunk it like Levi can.

Watson - was excellent and most impressive KPP out there. He provided a strong target in the forward half on a terrible day for big men. I know Webster didn't agree with me and gave Watto a spray for not leading towards the ball carrier, but he defied the tough conditions to boot 3.

Smith - Drifted in and out of the game but was pretty solid. He took one kick out and tried to be fancy by playing on, doing a one two and stuffed it up giving away a goal. I liked the aggression he showed. Put on some strong tackles and when he got into a push and shove with a port player, he sized him up and the port player backed off pretty quick. Still needs to build his tank up. When the game was in the balance in the last, Smith had to take a 5 minute spell on the bench.

Holman - attended many centre bounces, but I didn't think he did much. I just don't see what others see in him??? To often he plays the safe ball by chipping it 20m or hand balling it to someone running past. At least he's pretty brave and wrestled 3 port blokes himself bare chested.

Growers - took a nice pack mark and does a lot of the team things like one presenters. Didn't have a prolific game though.
Good to see the bench is aware of Fields' deficiencies. At this stage I don't care if he needs to be reminded.
I think Watson is due for a call up ahead of Jones. Levi isn't far behind but his marking, ruck work and effort around the ground give him extra wriggle room. Watson deserves 4 weeks to prove himself as a froward, just as Jones has had.
It worries me that Clem is drifting out of VFL games. Seems he might be further away than first thought. I don't have a problem with this, but let's not rush him.
I'm worried about Holman. I think he should have debuted by now, but he isn't even really pushing for selection. Maybe we are expecting too much, but I call bust.

Maybe just some more patience. He's got better fotskills than Curnow and he's been able to play AFL football

Jeez is Watto a ******* unit or what.

Actually looks like a genuine FF.

Not a 198cm pole that can't kick or mark.

I think Watto needs to have 4 or 5 games in the Seniors as Full Forward
Jones is providing plent of options just can't kick straight - he better turn that around as we can't have two KPFs that can't kick straight and if Watson gets half the kicks as Jones I'm pretty sure he is gonna kick twice as many goals at present

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just as an aside, does our Northern Blues team only have left footers?
Their was one right footer at the end of the clip but I think he was on the reverse camer angle;)
Foster looked a nice kick - let's hope he figures out how to get more of the ball

Last edited:
Wilson looks a good player maybe an option as a rookie end of year? We missed out on lambert..wouldn't hurt as a late rookie pick?

Just as an aside, does our Northern Blues team only have left footers?
Their was one right footer at the end of the clip but I think he was on the reverse camer angle;)
Foster looked a nice kick - let's hope he figures out how to get more of the ball
Am told he just needs time. Attack on the ball and mind set is very good for a forward, maybe like a taller Blaine Johnson.

None of those characteristics were showcased through his 2 years with us.
Great runner through the pre-season but little of that running showed up through games.

The beginning of the end was when we trialed him forward.
Easy decision for de-listing on strength of output.

"Trialed him foward" thats where he played from year one. That floating high half forward role. I think the beginning of the end was getting drafted to carlton. All his good games were when he ran through the midfield, and off half back. I would've delisted him as well but i think it's a bit harsh saying his characteristics weren't showcased, because he was rarely given the opportunity to.

"Trialed him foward" thats where he played from year one. That floating high half forward role. I think the beginning of the end was getting drafted to carlton. All his good games were when he ran through the midfield, and off half back. I would've delisted him as well but i think it's a bit harsh saying his characteristics weren't showcased, because he was rarely given the opportunity to.

It's not unfair because I watched him through most of his games and some pre-season sessions.
It is fair though to say that he may not have been managed well but nevertheless, you have to show effort and on many occasions......he just didn't.

Tom looked every inch a footballer yet rarely delivered on the ground.
You may know Tom personally and other than being played out of position, "What happened to him"?

Maybe not but do we need 2 Ellards?

We have Graham that covers Wilson and the like, but even he can't get a game.
I can't stand Ellard tbh lol...I haven't seen a lot of Wilson more just his numbers and graham really deserves an extended run he's a very smart player and good distributor especially by foot

I can't stand Ellard tbh lol...I haven't seen a lot of Wilson more just his numbers and graham really deserves an extended run he's a very smart player and good distributor especially by foot

Ellard knows his place in the scheme of things and gives everything to the club.

He's limited but it's not his fault he's getting picked ahead of others..................Not sure what there's not to like about Ellard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back