Review Norwood tried to poach the Crows in 1995

Remove this Banner Ad

Wally Miller was the Norwood person who was very anti crows and used the media to push the Norwood agenda. Not Trigg.

Are you saying Trigg didn't? Because I know he did. I use to watch SANFl games on aunty when we weren't in Victoria getting smashed.

I suppose what we can learn from this is, Trigg used our club to get where he wanted to be, had no loyalty to us, didn't care. We've gone and done the same thing and hired another outsider who appears to want to use us as a stepping stone into the AFL. This guy is way over qualified for us, after all.

I take back that joke of thread thing, threads cracking now, isn't it?

Are you saying Trigg didn't? Because I know he did. I use to watch SANFl games on aunty when we weren't in Victoria getting smashed.

I suppose what we can learn from this is, Trigg used our club to get where he wanted to be, had no loyalty to us, didn't care. We've gone and done the same thing and hired another outsider who appears to want to use us as a stepping stone into the AFL. This guy is way over qualified for us, after all.

I take back that joke of thread thing, threads cracking now, isn't it?

We have a new Godwin Law, it's called the Trigg legislation.

A thread about Norwood and the Crows and yes, steven Trigg has found his way in.

The Trigg Legislation.

The suggestion was at the time that Port and the Crows were too close together geographically to allow both to succeed.

In reality, it was just Rucci's fear that having Adelaide based out of West Lakes would make it impossible for Port to succeed in their catchment as an AFL club. He pushed this barrow mercilessly for a while, and did manage to get some quotes from senior figures out of it. I believe it was an option that was looked at but never, ever, ever seriously considered.

Rucci's ultimate wet dream he kept pushing was that we would move our operations out of West Lakes and to the Parade, and remove the yellow from our jumper (he hates us using the state colours) and possibly even rename ourselves, so we could represent the east and Port could represent the west. His argument was then we'd have some history and a real rivalry with Port, because in our current state we couldn't as we weren't a real club and didn't represent anything.

Rucci's ultimate wet dream he kept pushing was that we would move our operations out of West Lakes and to the Parade, and remove the yellow from our jumper (he hates us using the state colours) and possibly even rename ourselves, so we could represent the east and Port could represent the west. His argument was then we'd have some history and a real rivalry with Port, because in our current state we couldn't as we weren't a real club and didn't represent anything.

and then we created our own history when we won two flags.

The suggestion was at the time that Port and the Crows were too close together geographically to allow both to succeed.

In reality, it was just Rucci's fear that having Adelaide based out of West Lakes would make it impossible for Port to succeed in their catchment as an AFL club. He pushed this barrow mercilessly for a while, and did manage to get some quotes from senior figures out of it. I believe it was an option that was looked at but never, ever, ever seriously considered.

I only vaguely remember this, but I believe the idea he pushed was to become the East Adelaide Crows, and to wear red socks like Norwood.

I also remember a picture of Hammond and sanders in the paper, locked behind the gates at footy park- as if to say 'we ain't going nowhere'.

Does everyone / anyone remember the Cartel? That was hilarious. All the clubs other than Port, Norwood and Sturt combining for a snowball's chance in Hell shot at entering the big league. I feel sorry for anyone who gave money to that bid with good intentions. I also remember blankets being carried around Norwood Oval asking for money donations towards the Norwood / Sturt bud. Yeah, like that was going to make a difference.

Yeah, that bid was a bit of a joke. Everyone pretty much knew Port were promised the second licence based on their groundwork in 1990. I kept a bumper sticker from the Norwood/Sturt bid knowing it would be worth a bit in the future because the bid would end up being the answer to a trivia question.

Never say never. It may not happen in our life time, but with the anticipated population growth in 50, 60 or 70 years from now, it could happen.

There is another option, which doesn't rely on the old model of successful club = huge membership or crowds ... if AFL continues to develop into a TV game.

Hypothetically, you could develop Norwood or Elizabeth Oval into a smaller boutique stadium and invite the Legs/Centrals to join. If AFL's a TV game - and that's where the money is - you're going to get Collingwood, Essendon or Geelong supporters watching their side play on Foxtel - anywhere.

It's the same as when we watch Tommy Lynch belt up GWS in front of pretty much no-one. A TV game doesn't need huge crowds, just a venue and two teams. Now that could happen in our lifetime.

I only vaguely remember this, but I believe the idea he pushed was to become the East Adelaide Crows, and to wear red socks like Norwood.

I also remember a picture of Hammond and sanders in the paper, locked behind the gates at footy park- as if to say 'we ain't going nowhere'.

Yeah, it's the circle of news that Rooch has created.

1. Rooch pushes story about Crows heading to Norwood.
2. Crows deny it.
3. Years later, Rooch publishes 'the idea from a few years back of the Crows heading to Norwood' ... without mentioning it was pretty much him pushing it.

There is another option, which doesn't rely on the old model of successful club = huge membership or crowds ... if AFL continues to develop into a TV game.

Hypothetically, you could develop Norwood or Elizabeth Oval into a smaller boutique stadium and invite the Legs/Centrals to join. If AFL's a TV game - and that's where the money is - you're going to get Collingwood, Essendon or Geelong supporters watching their side play on Foxtel - anywhere.

It's the same as when we watch Tommy Lynch belt up GWS in front of pretty much no-one. A TV game doesn't need huge crowds, just a venue and two teams. Now that could happen in our lifetime.

This could definitely happen. I was listening to ABC radio on the weekend and they were saying this is exactly how 50 over cricket survives, nobody goes anymore but they get massive tv ratings. Which then allows Test cricket to survive as well.

I hope AFL is also interested in getting actual crowds to games tho, it makes the atmosphere at the game a hell of a lot more exciting. Watching 2 flog sides go at it in front of 40,000 is for some reason more exciting than watching them play in front of 5,000.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's the circle of news that Rooch has created.

1. Rooch pushes story about Crows heading to Norwood.
2. Crows deny it.
3. Years later, Rooch publishes 'the idea from a few years back of the Crows heading to Norwood' ... without mentioning it was pretty much him pushing it.
Yep, basically it is a quiet off-season & he is trying to fill the paper.

Best he fly off to Italy for his break & fill it with boring Richard Earle cricket stories instead.

What did happen to the decent cricket writers???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not enough Like buttons for this comment.

It's ironic that T20 cricket has brought so much money and new fans to the game ... but destroyed the very fabric of the sport at the same time.

Australia vs Pakistan in near empty stadiums in the UAE ... West Indies abandoning their tour of India (because they don't have enough money from their T20 comps?!) ..... if it wasn't for the Ashes I think Test cricket would have died a decade ago.

The upcoming World Cup will be very interesting, I imagine there will be good crowds just because it IS a World Cup (Third World Cup?) If Australia doesn't have a good Summer tho and with the public maybe sick of the game after 4 months of it and ready for football season ... there may be some cheap tickets on sale!

You want any sort of proof that cricket is now a TV game with little regard for the fabric of the sport ... this is it.

I thought it was because Pakistan can't host home games at the moment.

You want any sort of proof that cricket is now a TV game with little regard for the fabric of the sport ... this is it.
That's a product of Pak ban on home games - same test in Karachi draws fanatical crowd in the tens of thousands

I love how a thread about Norwood allegedly trying to poach the Crows leads to a discussion on Pakistan playing their home test matches in other countries :)

It's akin to Power playing a home game at Norwood Stadium, so yeah, there's a (tenuous) link.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back