Not a stalker, just a fan: Simmo's interview summaries

Remove this Banner Ad

'got done in the last four stoppages of the game'....pretty much what I saw..Govna out, Yeo rucking....bit of upside for our team if fully fit come finals

Id have backed yeo to get one of those clearances if he was on the ground not the bloody ruck

Today's postgame:

[Editorial note: WOOOOOOOOOPWOOOPWOOPWOOPWOOPWOOOOOOOOOOOPWOOOPWOOP]

- It was a gutsy win - really good. We're proud of our players. A game where last we let slip in the last quarter, but this week was good. To finish off like we did, especially losing some soldiers.
- Asked re who stood up most today: It was a real collective effort. Forward line fighting one or two down most of the day was critical. Midfielders stood up when it mattered. First quarter start was big. Our back six who are light-on for height got it done. I don't want to single anyone out.
- Asked re the low disposal count / all-round contribution: Scoreboard dictates a lot - when you start well, things change. I'm sure if the scores were level at quarter time, I wouldn't be as happy as I am now.
- The derby is significant, but the challenge for us is to face these type of sides. We probably had a little more to play for than freo - but this builds our belief in a big way. Playing our way stands up in these sort of occasions.
- Asked (in effect) whether Freo took it easy: Not really - but a question for Ross.
- Asked re injuries: Schofield sore hamstring, Cripps has probably got a fractured jaw. Lycett did a PCL early on.
- Asked re Sinkers: He put his hand up to play - he's fine. The blokes who got injured during the game really gutsed it out. But there were three or four other guys who are sore as well.
- Asked re Cripps incident: I deliberately didn't watch it.
- Asked re Cripps incident: the bloke who cleans up the cage where the club mascot lives is leaving for another job. Silvagni will be looking for a new career soon - and he'll rack up as many DT points picking up s**t as he will on the footy field.*
- Asked re persisting with the sore players during the game: We don't have the luxury of losing and holding our spot on the ladder. Once you're picked to play - unless you can't run around - you go out there.
- Asked if this was his proudest win: I think you're overplaying it a little bit. We're not getting carried away. It was a good win, and it helps our belief. We've got the bulldogs next week - they're a top four team right now - then Adelaide in Adelaide. We want to finish as high as we can, and we're putting ourselves in a good spot - but we can't get too carried away about tonight's win.
- Asked re Schofield: It's a worry obviously. We played six smalls in the last quarter. That's a challenge - teams scout that and seek to expose it. It's another good tick for our backs, and the midfielders put good pressure on until the last quarter and a bit.
- The backs are playing in a way that's united. Tom Barrass played yesterday - we still have options. One soldier down, another steps in.
- Asked about players due in - LeCras, and possibly Nic. We'll see how the week pans out for him though. Probably not Gov - but it was only a light re-niggle.
- Asked re Hill's game: Really good effort. He got dropped because he wasn't playing well, but he had a sore shoulder too. We gave him a week off to settle the shoulder as much as anything else. He's at his best when he plays on edge.
- Asked re Cripps injury: Further assessment required. It might be a fracture - he's pretty sore at the moment.
- Asked re: Jamie injury - our forwards in general are elite with their pressure. He's critical to our success. Darling and JK were elite with their pressure today - we had great inside 50 conversion to scores today.
- Asked re: Jack Darling's 100th next week: We've been really pleased. We gave him extra time to heal - credit to the medicos - there has been no signs other than progression. He's a natural footy player - his touch doesn't really leave him. He's another one who may not play every game this year to manage him. He's slotted back in well.
- Asked re message to the players: We won't change our messaging, public and private: it's just about finishing as high as we can. We're genuinely excited about where we're at, but we know it's a difficult challenge.

* May not have happened. Grr.

Some interesting stuff there. I like Simmo a lot, he doesn't seem to hide everything as a trade secret so you get a bit of an idea what he's about unlike many others. That also means he's confident in what he does, which I like even more.

I don't believe that he hadn't seen the Cripps thing. Well maybe he didn't, but that seems like a very diplomatic line at first glance.

I like the way he has handled Barrass too. He talks him up to give him confidence but not guaranteeing him a game even when basically everyone thought he was a shoo-in. Keep em hungry.

Also like hearing how much he rates Cripps. I think he is very underrated too - high pressure and great goal sense. We will miss him if he doesn't play.

Also did seriously not one of those career (notice I didnt say professional) journalists ask if he knows whether NN will play next week?

Also did seriously not one of those career (notice I didnt say professional) journalists ask if he knows whether NN will play next week?

I'd like to think that the reporters had the good sense/taste to leave that question alone given that last week Simpson pretty much cut them off when they asked about Nic. He should be allowed to come back if and when he's ready and I must say I'm glad the question wasn't asked, as much as we'd all like to know when he'll be returning

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like to think that the reporters had the good sense/taste to leave that question alone given that last week Simpson pretty much cut them off when they asked about Nic. He should be allowed to come back if and when he's ready and I must say I'm glad the question wasn't asked, as much as we'd all like to know when he'll be returning
Yeah I tend to agree in that I'm all for respecting his privacy... but at the same time it's a question that's on everyone's mind so they're kind of not doing their job if they don't ask.

Plenty of tasteful ways to do it imo. Even just 'any news on Nic?' and if he says no, so be it.

Simmo on 6pr Monday (apologies for the delay, Marauder you needy campaigner):

- We're trying to build belief within the team. There's a bit of unknown about us now - we're continuing the ride. Really happy with the result.
- A good start in games like that is important. It was important to get over doubts when you haven't beaten a team in a while. It was a fast-paced last quarter and a half, but we hung on.
- Asked re injuries: It's not something we can fix - but what's pleasing is the guys who come in respond and play our way.
- Asked re: Cripps/Schofield/Lycett: No news - they all had scans today. I would anticipate Lycett and Schofield may miss some weeks.
- Asked re: Nic's return - he'll come into the club this week and we'll see where he's at physically and mentally. Hopefully we'll get him back this week.
- Asked re McGinnity/Hill efforts in the derby and evenness across the squad: Freo probably had better individuals than we did, especially in the second half, but I thought our backs in particular had to play in a way that relied on one another. At the moment they seem to be playing well with a system they believe in.
- Asked re: Yeo and future position: I think he'll be a midfielder. We wanted to match him against Fyfe at the start. I think he has similar attributes. He's only 21 so he has a good future in front of him. He's a hybrid sort of player and that's where the game is headed - blokes who can play anywhere.
- Asked re risk's to Yeo's development: We've heard that Dark Sharks has actually built a dungeon specifically for Yeo - so we've had to step up Elliott's personal security to guard against the creepy stalker.*
- Asked re: whether tagging players are leaving the game: Every week is different. Three or four clubs, like Norf and Hawks, use taggers quite regularly. Identifying ways to mitigate strengths is important, but it's hard to tell beyond each week.
- Asked re: defensive structure this week in light of injuries (and Barrass): He played well at EP this weekend. We didn't go with him on the weekend and tried something with a small backline. Bulldogs play small so we'll assess how to bring it together.
- Asked re: Simmo's health (he has a cough): Going downhill at the moment actually.
- Asked re bulldogs form: They play an exciting plan. They're a smart attacking team that defends well. It's a real challenge for us. That said, its on our home turf and we're looking forward to the challenge.
- Asked re Ratten's son passing: Ratts and I shared an office together at Hawthorn. He's a real family man and it's a tragic situation. A difficult time for his family and my thoughts are with them.

* May not have happened

Simmo pregame from yesterday:

- Asked re Port game: Simmo jokes he didn't know what happened. Irrelevant to us - doesn't change the way we prepare. Our focus is the same.
- Asked if the message changes: No. We need to win this week. We're not looking at the way things fall out at the end of the year. Both us and the Bulldogs want top four. This week is big.
- Asked about the changes: 4 outs and 4 ins isn't ideal, but we'll make do. We'll have to experiment a little bit again.
- Asked why no Barrass: Looking at the Bulldogs and what they bring - they're strong in the air, but they're a small forward line. There wasn't a clear match-up for Tom and we're experimenting a little. He's only 19 and a developing defender - I want him to have clear roles and there wasn't one there today.
- The team profile we have today (short down back) isn't our preference, but it's what we've chosen today and we'll see how it goes.
- The small back setup has allowed us to try a few things. Some things have worked, others haven't. It's simply what we've had to contend with. There's been stages this year that it has cost us this year. It has given us great learning for the future too.
- Asked re: forward potency success: Every club wants a balance of offence and defence. Sometimes it's a bit of "give to get" - sometimes you make trade offs. Every club is looking for that balance and I feel like we're finding that balance right now. That's our goal. How it looks and feels each week will be different. Midfield has been a big part of that too.
- Asked re Masten: Midfield has been our most consistent this year. Once again another challenge with the loss of Chris and Scott both. But we get Nic and Mark back and Murray playing his first game for a number of years is a great story for the club.
- Asked re Muzza: When I got the club, on day one, I told him I would judge him on the basis of that point forward (ie. not the past) and he's found success the hard way. It hasn't been easy - he's earned his spot in his side. Full credit to him.
- Asked re Muzza reaction: He's got bigger fish to fry than playing just one game. Today's a first step. Next step is to play to our trademark and standards.
- Asked re Nic's return and how's coping: I think he's enjoyed being back in our environment and getting a bit of normality back to life. His prep this week has been pretty solid, but we'll go in with caution.
- Asked re Muzza and if he's lucky to still be on a list: Woosha was pretty fit when he beat Murray in the time trial. Like I said, for me it was about a perception from day one instead of anything in the past. He's worked through some issues and he's playing consistent footy.
- Footy provides a platform for him to rebuild his life, for sure. It's important that the club that stood by him - but we've given him an opportunity and we think his character has really developed. We're proud he's back at a senior level.
- Asked re Masten suspension: We've moved on from the tribunal. He's worried a stigma will get attached, but it certainly doesn't from our point of view.
- Asked re Masten suspension: Look many people don't realise that Chris is actually a direct descendant of Dracula. He's fighting that urge most weeks.*
- We did consider an appeal - we pleaded not guilty for a reason - but we didn't want to take undue risk.
- Asked re Gov/Schofield fitness: Not sure how far away they are. I think Gov will train today. He'll be pushing for next week. Schofield not sure.
- Asked re rebound capabilities of our small backline: I think part of our assets this year has been our ability to use the ball well in the back half. Defending first is the key priority, though. We're excited about the side we're going to play.
- Asked re finals run: The context of the game is that it's a top four opportunities - for us and the Bulldogs. If they get over the line they're a long way towards top 4. Going to be a good game.
- Asked re Nicnat: He's missed two games - he's not the type of athlete that handles a break naturally, let alone his mental state. We'll manage him carefully.
- We don't know how he'll pull up. We will manage him in a way to get a full season out of him.
- Asked re Dig Deep for Cancer: $5 @ Caltex for charity. Hooray!

* May not have happened.

Post-game presser:

- Asked if best win today: The game was a shootout in the first half. You're not going to put high score of the year as the best necessarily. Really proud of the players and how well they finished off.
- Asked re Nic's return: It was important for us as a club. We setup differently when he's not around - although Callum really has stepped up, and Scotty last week. Just good to get him back around the footy club.
- Asked re Nic's goal and whether his return inspired the team: I don't want to overplay it. He's dealing with this with his family. I'm sure he's glad he's had a win.
- Asked re half-time changes: We don't want to defend the way we defended in the first half - not what we want. We cleaned up our defending in the second half. There were a few personnel challenges for the Dogs that restricted them a bit as well. You can't take too much out of the last 15 minutes from the Bulldogs point of view.
- Asked re smaller back 6: It was a bit of an experiment - we're not sure how long it can last. We took a bit of a risk but we won the game. The best news is no injuries and some players coming back. I don't think you want to play like that every week.
- Asked re Stringer/Crameri: They were just too good from time to time. They're an aggressive, brave side - and sometimes you can't stop it. It wasn't so much about height, they just play a good system and they get plenty of opportunities. Our goal was to dry the opportunities up.
- Asked re Gov return next week: Chances are good [editorial note: unf] - we could have played him this week to be honest but we held him back. We want him to train through the week.
- Asked re Schofield: Not sure. Wait and see.
- Asked re finishing 1/2 chances and whether we'll manage players with rests: I haven't looked at the ladder to be honest. We'll look to see how players pull up. I don't think we'll play too many games with the list. We're not in a position where we can or need to do that. Two or three years in a row in this position, then perhaps. We're enjoying the ride we're on and I don't want to mess it up by managing players excessively.
- We had a few soldiers down today [suspensions etc] - so we had to shuffle things a little. Great opportunity for Murray to come in, Rosa came to the wing more, Yeo went down back. They've got belief in the system and it appears to be working.
- Asked if we now know what our best 22 is given all the outs we've had this year: Most pleasing part of our season is we've had to create flexibility with the side - this year has forced that change - we'll go into next year knowing we've got a healthy, balanced and flexible list.
- Asked if this means Simmo can tailor specific run-with roles for different players in finals: That's a bit dangerous. Not really the way we've been going about it.
- Asked re JK/Coleman prospects in light of reports of a season-ending injury: I thought he was fantastic. "I never thought his season was over, by the way, that was you guys." - He's been sensational. His ability to compete is fantastic. The rest of the forwards feed off his pressure. The pressure our front six do is great. Couldn't be prouder.
- Asked re JK injury reports: EAD Hagdorn.*
- Asked re Muzza goal: Good moment for our players. Dunno about the option - 25 out with a good shot - but I know what the intent was, and the game was perhaps in hand by then. To see the players and the crowd unite behind Murray was really good for him and his future.
- Asked re minor premiership importance: It's all about Adelaide. We want to win this week, and we'll prepare our best side to do that. We'll finish as high as we can - if that's top, great - we have top 4 guaranteed and then I suppose we'd like top two.
- Asked if we have to keep the lid on in light of our growing favourtism for the flag: You're right, I don't care about those things [betting markets].
- Asked re Hutch game: He's been building. Good opportunity for him with the issues we've had with the squad this year. He and Dom Sheed have come on really well for us this year. Part of the development of the list - injuries have brought them on quicker than expected - but the boys are growing in confidence and that's great.
- Asked re Selwood injury: I think he'll be available this week.

* May not have happened.

- Asked re Selwood injury: I think he'll be available this week.
Ruh Roh.

That and the news of Gov coming in so soon after his latest hammy issue doesn't have me too excited. Don't want to rush these guys.

Great work as always bombard.

Interesting about selwood.

Mcginnity and hutchings had decent games (hutchings perhaps his career best) and with masten to come back it might be the only chance for scotty to stake a claim for a finals opportunity.

If he gets picked.

Right now Selwood isn't best 22. It's as simple as that

Unfortunately i think Simmo has a blind spot when it comes to the player he thinks scooter could be vs the player he actually is

Remove this Banner Ad

Back