Universal Love Not Boo-ing Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just heard the Rebecca Wilson / Dermott Brereton cordial discussion on SEN, hilarious.

I did take umbrage to Rebecca saying that when he comes to Adelaide, he gets booed. I checked:

Adam Goodes points at girl, May 24th 2013. Then, he wins Australian Of The Year, January 2014 - the point at which supposedly people started booing him, although I think it's actually a relatively new phenomenon.

View attachment 157142

Ah, damn, I didn't think we'd even hosted Sydney since then. We certainly haven't hosted them since Goodes won AOTY.

View attachment 157144

But wait! Port have hosted Sydney twice since Goodes was made AOTY.

I can only assume that Wilson was talking about Port booing him, because it obviously couldn't be us. We'd be saving our boos for Tippett anyway.

Woo-hoo, 7,000 posts!
She probably forgot the game was in Perth. You know, one of those cities off to the left on the map.

Yep, that's entirely the point of the discussion. Nothing gets past you. Now children, off to bed. The adults are trying to have a discussion.

Seriously?

That's exactly the point of the discussion. People are now claiming booing Goodes is racist when there is no proof it was. In the same breath they mentioned Ryder was booed by Essendon and had no issue with that. So whats different. We either have no players booed or its open season like always. Players cant and shouldn't scream racism because they don't like it.

There is a difference between standard booing in the theatre of sport, and the vicious hate-filled crap that's been directed at Goodes in recnt times.

Trying to draw a parallel between booing Tippett because he left the Crows, and the stuff that's been thrown Goodes way is missing the mark entirely.

Nobody is trying to remove booing from AFL. What they're trying to remove is the targeted, ongoing campaign of hatred that goes well beyond anything seen in our sport in recent memory.

Doesn't work that way, can't be racist to a white person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get the sensitive issues surrounding Australia and racism and truly want it too stop like everyone and we move forward as one big happy family respecting all cultures etc. However not everything that happens between an indigenous person and 'White Australia' is racist by nature and that's the mistake too many people make in their eagerness to be politically correct. Its like calling people racist when they speak out against Muslims (Muslim is a religion not a race). For all we know, in a big crowd at Subiaco fellow indigenous people were booing Goodes as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alright bro...

I'll break it down for you then I'm going to bed. I'm being sincere dude I don't work for the UN but work in legal matters frequently.

"the act is reasonably likely in all the circumstances to offend, insult, humiliate or intimidate another person or group of people"

The key to this phrase is 'reasonably likely' it's not reasonably likely a reasonable person would be offended by an Aboriginal person performing a ceremonial act during Indigenous round.

It also wasn't a target based on race but at the opposition supporters. As the cultural hegemony is white it's unavoidable such an act if directed at a crowd, would be made up of predominantly caucasians. Say the crowd was full of Aboriginal people bar a small group of white people and Goodes singled them out with a gesture then you would have a point but this is very far from what happened.

Many get caught up with 'well he's offending me as a white person... what about my rights?' unfortunately for them it's virtually impossible to be part of the cultural hegemony and claim racial discrimination - it's implausible for a white person in Australia to genuinely claim racial vilification. In fact I don't know of any cases.

Re the first bolded bit, you must be joking. That comment sums up your hypocritical once sided view on the whole situation. In your view racism is a one way street and all roads point to the White man.

Then the second bolded bit, again confirmation from you that it is not possible to offend a White man, again racism is a one way street pointing to the White man....gee what a surprise!!

And if that wasn't enough you then followed the rest of your dribble up with one of your finest pieces on this subject, the third bolded bit, I quote it's implausible for a white person in Australia to genuinely claim racial vilification"

That's the biggest load or garbage Ive heard on this matter.

Its people like you that make me vomit with comments like this. Its people like you that hijack the debate and hide behind the racist card.

I wouldn't be advertising that you would work in legal matters, your comments are truly embarrassing.

I would plead with anyone attending the game in Sydney this weekend to not boo Goodes. Even if you think he is the biggest w***er in the history of sport, do not boo. Even if he belts someone behind play, stand up and shout something that can not possibly be construed as racist if you like, but don't boo. All you will be achieving by booing is potentially making our club look like s**t, and creating a shitstorm that Fagan, Chapman, Tex and Campo will have to deal with when their priorities should be elsewhere. You'll also risk getting turned on by the Sydney crowd and being thrown out and/or banned.

This issue is officially out of control. It's far bigger than your own freedom of speech. Goodes, and the Aboriginal community as a whole are interpreting the booing as 'racism'. It doesn't matter whether it actually is racism or not. Did he get booed to this extent before the 13 year old girl / Eddie McGuire / Australian of the Year / taking a stand stuff? No, he didn't. Therefore, it is natural to assume that those booing are either offended that Goodes has taken a stand, didn't like the manner in which he took a stand, or they're actually just sheep who are copying others. I've seen a lot of this 'It's not because he's Aboriginal, it's because he's a flog' sentiment online. What exactly has he done that can be perceived as 'floggish'? Taken a stand against racism, that's what. So if you believe someone is a flog for the way in which they've stood up against 200 years of oppression which clearly exists, then I don't know, maybe there is a racist undertone in that view. I can understand why Goodes and co would interpret it in that way.

Any way you slice it, people are not booing because he dives for frees or because of any on-field stuff at the present time.

Sure, there have been other players in the history of the game who got booed week in and week out, but none of that booing was sparked by the player's political or social views ffs.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. You don't have to love the Sydney Swans. You don't have to love Adam Goodes, or his views, or the way he handles himself. Just don't boo him. Cheer our players. Boo poor umpiring decisions. Scream and shout if someone belts Dangerfield. By booing Adam Goodes, you are aligning yourself, and our club, with racism and hatred. After everything that's gone on this year with Walshy and the amazing support we've received from virtually every corner of the AFL community, we need to distance ourselves from this crap.

I would plead with anyone attending the game in Sydney this weekend to not boo Goodes. Even if you think he is the biggest ****** in the history of sport, do not boo. Even if he belts someone behind play, stand up and shout something that can not possibly be construed as racist if you like, but don't boo. All you will be achieving by booing is potentially making our club look like s**t, and creating a shitstorm that Fagan, Chapman, Tex and Campo will have to deal with when their priorities should be elsewhere. You'll also risk getting turned on by the Sydney crowd and being thrown out and/or banned.

This issue is officially out of control. It's far bigger than your own freedom of speech. Goodes, and the Aboriginal community as a whole are interpreting the booing as 'racism'. It doesn't matter whether it actually is racism or not. Did he get booed to this extent before the 13 year old girl / Eddie McGuire / Australian of the Year / taking a stand stuff? No, he didn't. Therefore, it is natural to assume that those booing are either offended that Goodes has taken a stand, didn't like the manner in which he took a stand, or they're actually just sheep who are copying others. I've seen a lot of this 'It's not because he's Aboriginal, it's because he's a flog' sentiment online. What exactly has he done that can be perceived as 'floggish'? Taken a stand against racism, that's what. So if you believe someone is a flog for the way in which they've stood up against 200 years of oppression which clearly exists, then I don't know, maybe there is a racist undertone in that view. I can understand why Goodes and co would interpret it in that way.

Any way you slice it, people are not booing because he dives for frees or because of any on-field stuff at the present time.

Sure, there have been other players in the history of the game who got booed week in and week out, but none of that booing was sparked by the player's political or social views ffs.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. You don't have to love the Sydney Swans. You don't have to love Adam Goodes, or his views, or the way he handles himself. Just don't boo him. Cheer our players. Boo poor umpiring decisions. Scream and shout if someone belts Dangerfield. By booing Adam Goodes, you are aligning yourself, and our club, with racism and hatred. After everything that's gone on this year with Walshy and the amazing support we've received from virtually every corner of the AFL community, we need to distance ourselves from this crap.
Love this, I don't like Goodsy the player, but I have a great time for Goodsy the man.
Please Crows fans, for the sake of our club and the heartbreak we have gone through recently, let's just be civil and not boo..... Let's return the respect we received from the AFL community and for the sake of our great game, let's check ourselves and act for the best interests of our great game!!

Because it's a ****en disgrace.
I personally hate the idea of controlling what people do, but we need to do this for the betterment of our game. Mustn't boo a 2-time brownlow medallist and champion of our game, clearly he is being affected by it.

I personally hate the idea of controlling what people do, but we need to do this for the betterment of our game. Mustn't boo a 2-time brownlow medallist and champion of our game, clearly he is being affected by it.

Everything else we do at a game is controlled. Can only sit in that area, cant smoke, cant drink in some areas, cant swear, clothing restrictions in members areas.

We have just become conditioned to all these controls. Maybe no booing will be the next blanket ban?

I get the sensitive issues surrounding Australia and racism and truly want it too stop like everyone and we move forward as one big happy family respecting all cultures etc. However not everything that happens between an indigenous person and 'White Australia' is racist by nature and that's the mistake too many people make in their eagerness to be politically correct. Its like calling people racist when they speak out against Muslims (Muslim is a religion not a race). For all we know, in a big crowd at Subiaco fellow indigenous people were booing Goodes as well.

Islam is the religion. But yeah I know what u mean, it annyos when people misuse the word race to refer to the religious followers.

The fact the Jews are considered a race does make it confusing I guess.

I would plead with anyone attending the game in Sydney this weekend to not boo Goodes. Even if you think he is the biggest ****** in the history of sport, do not boo. Even if he belts someone behind play, stand up and shout something that can not possibly be construed as racist if you like, but don't boo. All you will be achieving by booing is potentially making our club look like s**t, and creating a shitstorm that Fagan, Chapman, Tex and Campo will have to deal with when their priorities should be elsewhere. You'll also risk getting turned on by the Sydney crowd and being thrown out and/or banned.

This makes perfect sense. Please don't boo Goodes guys.

You've never booed an umpire or an opposition player? You've missed out on one of the great pleasures of sport, barracking. Oh and you're also obviously lying ;)

I have never booed an umpire or player and I'm not a fan of lying. I didn't realise booing was the lynchpin of barracking, I must be missing out on so much.

Everyone has booed an umpire or an opposition player, it's part of the fun.

No they haven't. But if they did I'm not criticising the booing done with fun, I'm criticising the booing done with hatred for a person and that the anonymity of it makes it piss weak.

Goodes is a douchebag. A little humility from him, instead of playing to a few nimrods in the peanut gallery could resolve an awful lot

He's probably not a douche bag if you actually met him in real life and had a chat to him but even if he was I can't see how booing in hatred is going to have any positive outcome.

No they haven't. But if they did I'm not criticising the booing done with fun, I'm criticising the booing done with hatred for a person and that the anonymity of it makes it piss weak.

he's a douchebag, but booing with hatred? c'mon, what about this forces people to fill in their gaps with fallacious silly putty?

besides its booing, he's not ghandi, mandela or even Winmar. they're not burning crosses in his yard, denying him a mortgage or a job, threatening or inflicting violence, denying a promotion or any form of legal rights. they're not shouting anything personal, or hateful (that is criminal) they're just booing him like thousands of players before. lousy booing. he's just being booed whilst playing national sport. big ******* deal. that's nothing for a revolutionary commited to a cause. I mean c'mon, get a sense of perspective.

when he was inciting the opposition recently, doing war dances, and throwing imaginary spears, in the name of the cause no doubt, was he worried about the booing, the hurt feelings? what's changed? I speculate as his career is virtually over, he's started thinking about legacy.

anyway its just barracking and its an irrelevancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back