Not Giving In and Never Tear Us Apart (songs)

Remove this Banner Ad

Well almost 100% Thunderbirds are go - but typical SA there is a BS string attached

Port Adelaide fans will be allowed to sing Never Tear Us Apart if it hosts home final at Adelaide Oval

PORT Adelaide has triumphed in its bid to play its unofficial theme song Never Tear Us Apart before a home final next month.
The AFL has agreed to relax its total control of the finals game-day experience after intense lobbying from Port Adelaide.
The INXS anthem has been a key part of Port Adelaide’s home-ground advantage this year, with fans at fever pitch as it is played in the 60-second countdown to the first bounce.

But while the AFL seizes control of the finals venues, it believes it would be churlish to try and take away the atmosphere Port Adelaide has spent all year building.

It comes as the league allows clubs to build greater atmosphere at venues next year, after conceding they have become sterile.
The one catch is if the Power runs into Adelaide in the finals series, the AFL is likely to veto the song, given the crowd’s split loyalties.
Port Adelaide chief executive Keith Thomas said this month it would be mad to let the AFL take over.
“Why would you not let Port Adelaide run the show? Why would you compromise that? What is the AFL going to replace that with in finals?” Thomas said.
Last night Port Adelaide chairman David Koch told the Herald Sun he was thrilled with the breakthrough, but still wants to play the song if they take on Adelaide in September.

“We have worked so hard. We said we wanted to bring the fun back into footy and give families a great day out. Don’t underestimate the power of rituals in terms of building a bridge to spectators to make them feel part of our family.

“It has ignited the passion of our heartland and at a home final you want that. (INXS) band member Kurt Pengilly tweeted me the other day after he saw the coverage of Never Tear us Apart and said it was an incredible spectacle and spine-tingling.
“After Seven showed the entire countdown Leigh Matthews said this is the new era of sports entertainment.
“If it is our home final (against Adelaide) I am sure the Crows supporters would agree, what is the benefit of finishing higher on the ladder (if you can’t play the song).”

Port Adelaide fans will be allowed to sing Never Tear Us Apart if it hosts home final at Adelaide Oval

I still haven't seen any official confirmation from the club or the AFL?

That's not the club's twitter account.

Read the story in the news

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I bet you 100% the cows supporters would moo during the whole thing if we played the song in a game vs them.
Riewoldt to kick 10, Saints to win by a point. I don't want the Adelaide Possums (so named, because they play dead at home and get killed on the road) anywhere near a Port home final!!!!!!!!!!!

Riewoldt to kick 10, Saints to win by a point. I don't want the Adelaide Possums (so named, because they play dead at home and get killed on the road) anywhere near a Port home final!!!!!!!!!!!
Not sure what would be funnier, if they lost to St Kilda or if they fell short by a few points of winning by 75+ points to get in the finals.

Not sure what would be funnier, if they lost to St Kilda or if they fell short by a few points of winning by 75+ points to get in the finals.
Either way, they wouldn't be playing next week - which is fine by me!!!

Well almost 100% Thunderbirds are go - but typical SA there is a BS string attached

PORT Adelaide has triumphed in its bid to play its unofficial theme song Never Tear Us Apart before a home final next month.
The AFL has agreed to relax its total control of the finals game-day experience after intense lobbying from Port Adelaide.
The INXS anthem has been a key part of Port Adelaide’s home-ground advantage this year, with fans at fever pitch as it is played in the 60-second countdown to the first bounce.

But while the AFL seizes control of the finals venues, it believes it would be churlish to try and take away the atmosphere Port Adelaide has spent all year building.

It comes as the league allows clubs to build greater atmosphere at venues next year, after conceding they have become sterile.
The one catch is if the Power runs into Adelaide in the finals series, the AFL is likely to veto the song, given the crowd’s split loyalties.
Port Adelaide chief executive Keith Thomas said this month it would be mad to let the AFL take over.
“Why would you not let Port Adelaide run the show? Why would you compromise that? What is the AFL going to replace that with in finals?” Thomas said.
Last night Port Adelaide chairman David Koch told the Herald Sun he was thrilled with the breakthrough, but still wants to play the song if they take on Adelaide in September.

“We have worked so hard. We said we wanted to bring the fun back into footy and give families a great day out. Don’t underestimate the power of rituals in terms of building a bridge to spectators to make them feel part of our family.

“It has ignited the passion of our heartland and at a home final you want that. (INXS) band member Kurt Pengilly tweeted me the other day after he saw the coverage of Never Tear us Apart and said it was an incredible spectacle and spine-tingling.
“After Seven showed the entire countdown Leigh Matthews said this is the new era of sports entertainment.
“If it is our home final (against Adelaide) I am sure the Crows supporters would agree, what is the benefit of finishing higher on the ladder (if you can’t play the song).”

It will be sung no matter what. Our crowd is twice as loud. Who gives a **** what the AFL says. How on earth could they implement a policy of NOT allowing a group of fans to sing a completely non-offensive song ? Is security going to try to chuck half the crowd out for that ? I don't think so.

totally embarrassing and trumping the crows in an all SA final, both with our footy and our support, our, match day spectacle, would do a LOT of damage to their "brand" (how is that doing anyway?). I can see why they are being protected. think back to the crows game v collingwood where the national broadcasters would not shut up about the "noise level" at the ground - which had been a common theme for most of the media about our crowds for every week the past 10 games. the rest of the country don't see that, though, so there are a lot of people that simply know both clubs are doing well this year. I'm not sure people understand the power of people like Bruce Mcavaney, the way he calls a game is very influential, the things he says are passed off as fact so you have all kinds of fans around the country repeating them. he does a great job dressing the crows up and watering us down - basically the crows steal our thunder. a final, where the national audience can see and hear that we are simply much, much better, would be disastrous for them.

they wont play finals anyway, and we'll beat freo and sydney. :D

totally embarrassing and trumping the crows in an all SA final, both with our footy and our support, our, match day spectacle, would do a LOT of damage to their "brand" (how is that doing anyway?). I can see why they are being protected. think back to the crows game v collingwood where the national broadcasters would not shut up about the "noise level" at the ground - which had been a common theme for most of the media about our crowds for every week the past 10 games. the rest of the country don't see that, though, so there are a lot of people that simply know both clubs are doing well this year. I'm not sure people understand the power of people like Bruce Mcavaney, the way he calls a game is very influential, the things he says are passed off as fact so you have all kinds of fans around the country repeating them. he does a great job dressing the crows up and watering us down - basically the crows steal our thunder. a final, where the national audience can see and hear that we are simply much, much better, would be disastrous for them.

they wont play finals anyway, and we'll beat freo and sydney. :D
An Umpire said during the week that Port Adelaide noise level at their games is the loudest he has heard in all the matches he has umpired this season.......

An Umpire said during the week that Port Adelaide noise level at their games is the loudest he has heard in all the matches he has umpired this season.......

After the Essendon game Bomber Thompson said in his presser the Bomber players had told him the same thing.

OK, well that's good. where did he say that? I doubt it got in as many homes as Bruce's voice does. there is no doubt that smart footy fans know who the better club is, but those every day joe blows still think the crows are a 'powerhouse', they genuinely use that word for them. those are the people I am thinking of.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back