Not Giving In and Never Tear Us Apart (songs)

Remove this Banner Ad

Best comment in the Lion thread on the main board: "id laugh if it just sat in the cage licking its ass and ball bag"

Or like the male at Adelaide Zoo which is renowned for reversing up and spraying the crowd. There is even a sign up on his cage. I applaud him, would be my attitude too.

You can picture the wheels clicking over up in QLD.
"Port have bounced back to a top club with Never Tear Us Apart", "Never Tear us apart", "Never Tear us apart", "Never Tear us apart", "What can top that?", Hmmm, "I know!", "A lion CAN tear us apart, take that Koch!"

Been listening to 3AW on the net the last 45 minutes and they have been taking the piss out of the Lion whenever they get a chance and aren't interviewing someone.

They reckon it should be called either Leigh or Lethal.

Imagine the carnage at a Brisbane v Richmond game if both their mascots got loose.

Caro was on the wireless saying she overheard Brendan Gale and Gill Mac throwing out the idea about a real tiger at a Richmond home game and thought they were joking... pretty sure it was a joke.

Then someone told her about a real lion at a Brisbane home game and thought they were joking... turns out it wasn't a joke.

Lions, tigers, elephants, wedge-tailed Eagles, good ol' Thundawank from a couple of years ago... these gimmicks never work.

There's nothing particularly ground-breaking about what the club does at home games. Yeah, there's lots of energy and buzz and it's slick, professional and runs like clockwork. But it's the connection to the fans that makes it such an unforgettable experience.*

Loud, proud and passionate fans...

*Not to take anything away from the magnificent stadium itself because we wouldn't be talking about this stuff if we were still playing home games at Footy Park.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or like the male at Adelaide Zoo which is renowned for reversing up and spraying the crowd. There is even a sign up on his cage. I applaud him, would be my attitude too.

Haha! Takes me back to a year 9 excursion at the Zoo.

Whole class is by the big cats. Said lion turns his back to us, utensils his leg and fires. Everyone ducks for cover.

Gold streak of urine shot out lightning fast.

Most of us got away unscathed. Couple of kids got sprayed. But one kid got drenched. Absolutely drenched.

Had to walk around the rest of the day reeking of lion piss...

Although it's a rather lame idea, our club must remain on the front foot if it wishes to continue being the leader in this sort of stuff.

Other clubs are going to try and catch up we need to stay in front.

The great thing is that genuinely exciting pre-game entertainment really has to be fan-driven. Quite simply, anything too forced (such as the forced crowd participation at Adelaide games) will fail.

Although it's a rather lame idea, our club must remain on the front foot if it wishes to continue being the leader in this sort of stuff.

Other clubs are going to try and catch up we need to stay in front.
We don't need to worry about what other teams do. We have our own pre game that works. If it's forced it will become crow like

The great thing is that genuinely exciting pre-game entertainment really has to be fan-driven. Quite simply, anything too forced (such as the forced crowd participation at Adelaide games) will fail.
True, but nobody knows what will work and what won't. We hit the jackpot with NTUA mixed with AO and a competitive team. It has momentum of its own now. It could have been as hideous as the 19th man.
About 8 years ago as our crowds were dropping we looked at Freo and the way they were beginning to sell out their home games. They had the theatrics of dragging out the anchor and some other stuff. We hired one of their people to teach us how to come up with an exciting and enticing match day experience like theirs. Remember things like the mobile fist? Within a few years we had bay covers as crowds continued to fall. I'm not easily going to mock other clubs trying to come up with something. Except the 19th man of course.

True, but nobody knows what will work and what won't. We hit the jackpot with NTUA mixed with AO and a competitive team. It has momentum of its own now. It could have been as hideous as the 19th man.
About 8 years ago as our crowds were dropping we looked at Freo and the way they were beginning to sell out their home games. They had the theatrics of dragging out the anchor and some other stuff. We hired one of their people to teach us how to come up with an exciting and enticing match day experience like theirs. Remember things like the mobile fist? Within a few years we had bay covers as crowds continued to fall. I'm not easily going to mock other clubs trying to come up with something. Except the 19th man of course.
That's just it though. Our pre-game entertainment is simple, and importantly, makes sense.

Not Giving In has a pretty obvious message and certainly fits with Kenny's/the club's slogan of "We will never, ever give up."

After all of the One Club stuff, and the SANFL screwing us around for years, NTUA similarly resonates with the fans.

Hmm, we're the Lions, let's get a real lion/we're the dockers let's get a big anchor/let's put a big fist on a float because it's part of our logo - simply don't have that deeper meaning. It's all about connecting with the crowd in a meaningful way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not having been to an AO game yet, I reckon the main reason the pregame works is because our fans are so excited about the main event and know our players are going to produce a quality spectacle.
There is no way known people would be packing the stadium and singing arm in arm if we anticipated being on the receiving end of 130 point spankings like we endured in 2011.
Playing strong, winning and breathtaking footy is what allows the pregame to reach such a crescendo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back