Not Giving In and Never Tear Us Apart (songs)

Remove this Banner Ad

For the Not Giving In song to have maximum impact there has to be a 20 second or so gap between when it starts and the players getting to the front of the Geoff Motley race, because once they get there the crowd by the race see them and start roaring and it drowns out the song.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Never_Tear_Us_Apart
Recently, the song has been adopted by The Squadron, the Newcastle United Jets supporter group, and sung in unison at the start and 85th minute of their A-League association football matches.[4] This is in homage to the line, "cause we all have wings, but some of us don't know why", used now in reference to the Jets symbol of their club. The song's popularity has prompted a move to have the song be played at the beginning of each half, first happening on 18 October 2008, when the Jets defeated the Melbourne Victory 1−0.

In February 2014, after the Channel 7 screening of "INXS: Never Tear Us Apart" mini-series, "Never Tear Us Apart" charted again in Australia via download sales. It peaked at #11 on the ARIA Singles Chart, surpassing its original peak position of #14 back in 1988.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Never_Tear_Us_Apart

There was a Newcastle Herald story earlier this year about how Newcastle Jets adopted the song. They started in late 2007 according to this thread in a Newcastle Jets supporters forum thread that has 59 posts

http://www.newcastlefootball.net/forum/showthread.php?946-Never-Tear-Us-Apart&highlight=Tear

TOPICS: On a wing and a prayer
By TIM CONNELL Feb. 10, 2014, 10:30 p.m.

WATCHING Seven’s INXS – Never Tear Us Apart, in between more on-screen boob than an Underbelly box set, Topics was pumped to relive the songs that once crackled from our Walkman.

The band were no strangers to Newcastle in their touring pomp, playing rock haunts such as the Workers Club. Decades on, Jets fans have imbibed them into our culture by singing Never Tear Us Apart in the terraces.

As a spectacle, no one would tell you it’s at the emotional pitch of, say, You’ll Never Walk Alone at Anfield. That’s almost unmatched in sport.
But a rendition of Never Tear Us Apart at Hunter Stadium, with scarves held high and a throaty crescendo of ‘‘we all have wings/but some of us don’t know why’’ is something that stays with you regardless of how the team plays.

The origins of the tradition are murky. Toby Mills, secretary of hardcore supporters The Squadron, first heard it suggested at a Sydney FC away match.
‘‘There had been discussion about adopting an anthem, a You’ll Never Walk Alone-style song,’’ Mills recalls. That was in 2006, during the second season of the A-League.

Fans approved the song in an online poll. Some, unhappy with adopting a ready-made anthem, wanted to emulate Melbourne Victory and write their own, says Squadron president Grant Furner. But overwhelmingly, the INXS hit was the fan favourite.

‘‘We were looking for an anthem that was about the team, and how we felt about the city,’’ says Furner.

‘‘It had to be an organic sort of thing.’’

Sadly, the entire online discussion was wiped when the forum crashed. There were no back-ups. Neither Mills nor Furner remember the other song contenders, though Furner thinks a couple were by Newcastle bands.

You can hear Never Tear Us Apart twice at a Jets home game, at walk-out and at 90 minutes.

No giving in is a great song to play as the come out though, should be up lifting for them too.

I'm not sold on INXS and the standing up rocking a scarfe

Just caught the end of the Travis Boak interview on 5aa. I hope someone can recall the interview a little better than me but I recall him really enjoying NTUA.

No giving in is a great song to play as the come out though, should be up lifting for them too.

I'm not sold on INXS and the standing up rocking a scarfe
I doubt that we'll ever find a song that everyone wants to embrace initially but I'm happy to commit to NTUA. Sure, some of the lyrics may not totally "tell our story" but neither do many other anthems sung by various supporters around the world and I reckon we (the fans) can make it work.
I'm unlikely to start the singing/chant but I'll pipe in if the cheer squad gets it started and I'm sure if they showed the lyrics somewhere on the big screens it would catch on pretty quickly.
Lets give it a fair dinkum crack just like our team is doing on field!

Sitting in the western stand I was a little disappointed the speakers had been turned down for not giving in. Not sure if it was due to the earlier time slot or crow fans complaining it was too loud for their game but I hope it's turned up again next week.

The interview with Travis is on the 5aa website. He talks about the song at about 15 mins of the interview. He's definitely a fan. If it inspires him and the boys, i'd like to think we'll make it a regular fixture.

First time I heard NTUA was as a kid, having taped the Saturday night Rage midnight-2am slot on my VHS as a I normally did in an attempt to get my hands on some decent music. I can't remember who the Guest Programmer was but they played Michael Hutchence's NTUA rendition live at Wembley in 1991, commenting that the first time they had seen the performance the power of the song had really struck them, and I must admit it stuck with me for a while even back then and I still remember this moment some 17 years later.

Put chills down the back of my spine when it came over the loudspeakers at Adelaide Oval that first time and I really couldn't think of a more suitable or meaningful song to play pre-siren.

FYI this was the performance.

Question.. Do they play these songs at alberton home games? If not I reckon they should. Never tear us apart at least

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question.. Do they play these songs at alberton home games? If not I reckon they should. Never tear us apart at least

The audio system struggles with the Cheer cheer the Black an the white!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Noticed both today. I sit in the Western Stand and although it was very quiet there I could hear plenty of singing/clapping from the cheer-squad and lower eastern side.
NGI - I mainly heard our fans clapping to the beat but with good volume.
NTUA - Definitely more people singing along than the Bris game. Sounded great.

Interested to hear others thoughts. It's growing people, it's growing!

Not Giving In is so good. Think people have picked up on it better than NTUA.

Watching on TV, it sounded like NTUA was preceded by a couple of other, heavier songs, one of which sound like Black Betty by Frenzel Rhomb, didn't recognise the other one. NTUA was kinds rushed in it sounded like

yeah they gotta fix up what they're doing with this.. stick to 1 build up song before the club song (which should be played on time!)

Noticed both today. I sit in the Western Stand and although it was very quiet there I could hear plenty of singing/clapping from the cheer-squad and lower eastern side.
NGI - I mainly heard our fans clapping to the beat but with good volume.
NTUA - Definitely more people singing along than the Bris game. Sounded great.

Interested to hear others thoughts. It's growing people, it's growing!

I was singing NTUA a capella, flat out in the car on the way back from the shops before parking my arse in front of the TV for the game. Pops into my head before every game, and I haven't even been to Adelaide Oval yet!

Watching on TV, it sounded like NTUA was preceded by a couple of other, heavier songs, one of which sound like Black Betty by Frenzel Rhomb, didn't recognise the other one. NTUA was kinds rushed in it sounded like

Hate to be picky but it's spiderbaits version :>

Could of done without black betty. But...

The pre game was ridiculously good. My Crows supporting mates even loved it.

Did anyone notice Boak holding the guys behind the banner waiting for the song to start? Instead of the usual trumpets we got thunder sound effects. Great touch!! Please keep this.

yeah they gotta fix up what they're doing with this.. stick to 1 build up song before the club song (which should be played on time!)
The Anzac stuff changed much of the timings. That can't be helped.

Good to hear. Making my way over for the hawthorn game. Can't wait to participate and join in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back