Not Worth A Thread - Random Bulldog Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

How they manage to blow everyone at AFL house and not get noticed is beyond me but I’m done
So... um... this was said in reference to the Dogs. Because we obviously get preferential treatment by getting so many Friday night games!

Ok wait no, we do it by getting lots of FTA games!

Wait, no that's not it. We do it by getting the AFL to bail us out!

We didn't do that, that was Melbourne. Somebody help me out here guys, please.

It's cute how they think they're relevant after they made a preliminary final and subsequently got absolutely destroyed.

So many Footscray threads. If we're such a non-entity, why do they fear us?
bECI3L.gif

*courtesy of BRG93

Behind the scenes at AFL house, certainly by Andrew and now Gillon, its well accepted fact that Norfs dalliance with Ballarat was only ever part of a wider smokescreen put down by JB and his cohort to appease their already spooked Melbourne based fans, as they took the first tentative steps as part of their longer term goal of maintaining the clubs viability with a full re-location down to Tasmania. I think its now beginning to dawn on their supporters that they've been hoodwinked and that those first few steps were actually on a very slippery slope that only goes in one direction and that's south not west. That they feel the need to vent is hardly surprising, but I'd suggest that their anger at us is somewhat misdirected and perhaps they should look a little closer to home as they cast around in their search for a villain. lol norf...or something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They should serve as a good reminder to us all that while flags are the ultimate goal, it isn't a golden goose. You can win flags and still be a s**t rabble basket case. Can never rest on your laurels. Fixed v Growth mindset.

People and supporters though probably aren't that stupid anymore. I suspect that Hobart people would prefer a team of their own rather than a permanently transplanted team. It's far more different to Sydney/South Melbourne given at the time of their relocation very few Sydney people cared if they had a team or not. It's also why I think the Suns are a success because they are themselves.

Would a relocation actually work though? I've always thought about this. If I already followed AFL and lived in Tasmania and say, North for example, came over I'd be a lot less inclined to support them than I would if I got a new team. Seems strange.
In my mind, a relocation simply isn't feasible. The AFL missed the boat with Tassie for mine - GWS should have been a Tasmanian team. Instead, the AFL opted for petty one-upmanship by trying to poach rugby league territory.

In my mind, a relocation simply isn't feasible. The AFL missed the boat with Tassie for mine - GWS should have been a Tasmanian team. Instead, the AFL opted for petty one-upmanship by trying to poach rugby league territory.
Like they are with theA League GF

It's just frustrating.

Rather than setting up a team in an established AFL heartland for people that have demonstrated their love and commitment to the game, they opt for an area in which there is little interest, because of long-term projections of population growth.

And let's say for a second that we agree with the decision to set up an AFL team in western Sydney, now we question their branding and approach. When the Western Sydney Wanderers were introduced on a shoestring budget (compared to GWS), they consulted with potential fans at a grassroots level to determine their brand, their colours, even their style of play. It's a fickle market, and so the community outreach from the beginning had to be top notch - and it was.

Instead, GWS unveiled their colours of charcoal (granite in the mountains) and orange (a western sunset), and gave the few fans they had the choice between two horrendous jumpers. They've since set themselves on the path to consistent bottom four finishes, a catastrophic move for a club trying to establish it's brand in New South Wales (admittedly, other clubs left them little choice after refusing to trade their stars for early picks). They've also hedged their bets by establishing a second home in Canberra, which has left many fence-sitters in Sydney with a rather cynical outlook - to what extent are the Giants buying into their own area?

It's just been so poorly handled from day one - and kudos to the players that have been around from the start, and the people that have worked to make it a reality, but it's just never made any sense to me.

IIRC, it was Pogba that mentioned how much more likable Gold Coast are - McDonalds fries box guernsey aside, I couldn't agree more. They've played an exciting brand of footy from day one, their colours are appropriate for their location, their match day experience at Metricon is fantastic, and setting up an AFL team there actually made sense - many rugby league franchises have collapsed up there, so there's a market to be exploited.

inb4 somebody puts this rant down to Callan Ward and Ryan Griffen leaving

Hat tip to Daz, good summary of BallaratGate

Despite the 2 threads and 19 pages hating on my team about an issue that hasn't even got a mention on our board I wish you guys all the best.

Don't mind the team. Your supporters on bigfooty are a little special though.

The AFL will always go for growth rather than rewarding those who've supported the game since the beginning, unfortunately. We'll see WA3 before Tassie, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back