Not Worth A Thread - Random Bulldog Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, will do.

Went along this morning and walked into Barkers with the wife and I wearing our Bulldogs clobber. Immediately see a dozen people in suits / jackets etc. *, we're underdressed!

Sidle up to the only other people in Bulldogs clobber. Nope, they're not here for the contest (but they ARE Matt Fullers parents!). Other people start coming in casual clothing and Dogs clobber also, feel a bit more relieved. Turns out all the suits etc are the guys and gals from Slater & Gordon Sunshine office. Phew!

A very attractive blonde named Brooke introduces herself and takes us down the hall into the players theatrette. Bevo pops in, then pops out.

Ben Graham pops in and speaks about his footy career, his role at the dogs and his career OS in the NFL. Q and A with him is very interesting and he speaks pretty openly and candidly about the differences between NFL and AFL. He also passes out his Super Bowl ring for us to check out. That thing is damn heavy. If you hit someone with that thing you'd cause some serious injury.

Next is Luke and he gives us a great run down on his coaching principles, his keys to player development, some interesting insights into game day tactics (speaking very specifically about Saturday nights game, as well as referencing a few others), the inner workings of the club, it's leadership group and day-to-day activities. Absolutely fascinating stuff. Q and A with him is also very interesting, and a few levels above Graham.

Needless to say I was fascinated at the time, but as soon as I was out the door had forgotten half of it, but here's a few things that I found particularly interesting and / or have been talked about in differing threads here lately...

- Captains vote. Every player bar 2 votes was for Bob as Captain. Not sure if Bob is the type to vote for himself so if not that means only 1 person voted for someone else. Would've thought Moz would be considered more than that but I guess that shows Bobs standing at the club.

- The "icing the game" (or cue in the rack as Bevo called it) is NOT his plan. He would prefer them to run and gun until the end. He used the word "cooked" repeatedly when referring to the players at this time of the game. Obviously this is from having such a young side.

- In further reference to this he mentioned that we still need to massively improve our game tanks. Singled out Stringer and Toyd in this, but more as a point of reference, not bagging them out.

- Bevo and Graham both mentioned sending people back to VFL level to "work on their craft" and how important it is to have a VFL side so that we as a club can control game time, position, etc. Macrae was a very specific example of this. Crameri mentioned also for the fact the Coach and MC don't believe they're getting what they need / should be out of him right now. Unfortunately didn't get the chance to ask if he thought this was due to interrupted pre-season but I got that feeling.

- Sub rule. Coaches AND players want it gone. Categorically. No 2 doubts about it. Bev personally tells the player who will be Sub that week and apologises for it. Hates having to sub a player out due to the "embarrassment factor".

- Libba WAS voted into the leadership group. How he felt about it was not made clear, but he is definitely in there.

- Club (everyone) needs to still work on communication. Example of Saturday night, Tory Dickson being sent down to be an extra man in defence from his position on the wing. Failed to notify anyone from the Fwd line to fill his spot, therefore creating a loose Carlton player on the wing. Error was spotted and fixed eventually before any damage done but highlighted that that's the sort of thing that gives opposition momentum and loses matches.

- Someone brought up the St Kilda loss. You could see it hurt Bevo. He said the whole thing was just shocking. Was looking for a 100-point kill and what happened shook him. Mentioned that having Clay still in the room at 1/2 time address was probably a mistake. Said that many senior players (and we probably know who that is seeing as we have so few) have told him that they "mentally checked out". Also mentioned Stringer's "gee up" at 1/2 time and got the feeling he wasn't happy about him doing that.

That's all I can remember for now, will update further if I remember more.

As an aside they gave away a prize for the "best question" which the better half won. A signed footy, awesome!!!
View attachment 149996

Also had the Robert Rose cup there (I'm assuming for some promo photos)
View attachment 149997

And then if the day wasn't topped off already, look who I bumped into at Barkers afterwards... Damn near wet myself!
View attachment 149998
Sounds great :)

- Also remembered (as we've mostly noted already) that Bev is HUGE on players being able to play dual roles. The days of players being a "one-position" man are nearing an end and he wants to be at the forefront of that. Recruitment and development of dual-position players is essential as that also creates more competition amongst the guys for spots.

- Pet hate is players not being able to kick both sides of the body. Singled out Macrae in this again (poor kid copped a bit of a hiding in this session! :D) as someone who's choosing to use his preferred side as opposed to using the space on his non-preferred. Gets worked on massively at training but acknowledged there is a loooooong way to go.

- Players have a free day every Wednesday. Not sure how long ago he was referring to but apparently the rest day used to be two days before whenever the game was. Reviews are done Monday morning and early arvo by line coaches and sent to players online with notes, videos etc to view. Bevo hates paper. Players have Monday morning off and obviously Tuesdays and Thursdays are training days and Fridays can vary.

- The club has very little say or control in a players social life. Essentially all they can do is hope that they choose to surround themselves with good people and family.

^^^ Where can u find this info?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-08/the-men-in-the-middle-who-are-your-clubs-centre-square-stars
Ruckman
Centre square attendance – who rucks the most? Will Minson, 36 per cent
Centre square hit-outs (per game): Will Minson, 7.3
Centre square hit-outs to advantage (team) 26.9 per cent. AFL ranking: 14th

Onballers
Most used combination: Will Minson, Mitch Wallis, Jack Macrae, Marcus Bontempelli (eight times)/Jordan Roughead, Liam Picken, Mitch Wallis, Marcus Bontempelli (eight times)
Most used midfielder (midfielder who attends most centre bounces): Marcus Bontempelli (150 times)
Centre clearances won (team): 41.8 per cent AFL ranking: 13th
Centre clearance king: Marcus Bontempelli (19)
Centre clearance star: The Bulldogs are +12 when Luke Dahlhaus attends a centre bounce
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-08/the-men-in-the-middle-who-are-your-clubs-centre-square-stars

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do we have someone at the club who looks like Brett Deledio? Was decked out in full doggie club attire riding his bike in footscray.

well we almost didn't anymore, came 2 inches from cleaning him up the other day with the van lol. Slammed the brakes on as he darted out between cars in front of me, blinded by the thick windscreen piller he was in front of me before i knew it, his face was gold, we just gazed into each others eyes as the distance got shorter and shorter, thank * i managed to stop, then both blew out air and gave the thumbs up hahahahaha then off he went.

Last edited:
Good to know a few people knew about today's game. Was asked at the Brisbane Virgin Lounge (no hot food for brekky, disappointing) AND by the Cabbie in Cairns (from the airport) asked me if I was going to the game.

I'm going overseas for the next four weeks. How can I watch the Doggies live over the Internet? Tried to get a monthly pass to AFL International but couldn't.

I'm going overseas for the next four weeks. How can I watch the Doggies live over the Internet? Tried to get a monthly pass to AFL International but couldn't.
You can still do that but you will need to be Overseas to do it, or sign up with a vpn

I have been in Europe for the past four weeks, watching the game later on AFL international through the hotel wifi on my iPad. Give it a try.

Dees have dominated an insipid lions outfit all day and are only 25 up. Hoping for a Lions comeback here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back